PDA

View Full Version : Slow Leak ?

Sam
05-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Ok here's the story, I've had a slow water leak into my bildge for some time now. It's nothing to be alarmed about but it's enough to drive me crazy :confused: . Just for the record the engine is tight no leaky hoses. When I had the drive off last year I had a second set of trained eyes look at everything to see where the leak might be. According to him he said everything looked ok. If anyone has any friendly advice on what it might be I'm all ears. I guess on the bright side it's nice to know my auto / bildge pump works :yippie:

THX
Sam

Rootsy
05-02-2005, 11:28 AM
WELL let me toss a few "ideas" at ya sammy...

the block-off plate where the exhaust would exit for thru prop exhaust has an o-ring... and 4 12 pt bolts.. if they loosen up they allow the o-ring to leak..

also, i assume all of the bellows have been thoroughly inspected? including the shifter cable bellow? cracked or punctured or anything can cause it to leak.. sometimes only when you are in a certain gear or when you are turning, etc...

i also know you went to the SS from the gen II... what did you do about your speedo? did you remove the hose inside of the transom assy? or is it still attached?

the circulating pump on the front of your motor has a weep hole in it... when the seal springs a leak it leaks water from the weep hole... btw.. the hole is on the bottom of the snout of the waterpump and hard to see without a mirror... i had this happen to my motor...

JR...

btw.. what are you doing next saturday... i may need some "muscle"

roadtrip se
05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
when I went to the shortie.

Amazing how much that little bugger can pump into the bilge at speed...

RT

Sam
05-02-2005, 01:09 PM
I knew I could count on you for a few ideas James. The bellows seemed to be ok and that's where I looked first but I think they may merrit a third look. As for the speedo tube I just picnched it off. I know it leaks while docked which sort of eliminates the water pump weep hole. Just to make sure I did my best to get my fatt but in the engine compartment while it was running :eek: just to make sure everything was dry, it was. So the only thing left to look at is the block off palte thingy, thanks Root.

Sam

tmdog
05-02-2005, 03:09 PM
While you are back there checking the bellows, you may as well ck. the power steering cooler hose that hooks to the transom. I had a problem in this area. I had the hose rupture at this point and let me tell you, the bilge fills up in a hurry.

Sam
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Good thought tmdog, I'll check it out. I know what you mean about filling up in a hurry. Just ask Doug Lovins what happens when you blow one of the fat water hoses................thank god for duct tape :biggrin: right Doug.

Sam

MOP
05-03-2005, 06:44 AM
I posted this awhile back, you can clean the outer hole in the gimble where the exhaust would come out, make a dam out of masking tape then shoot a little foam in it will seal it off avoiding pulling the engine to stop the leak. Trim access and paint it black.

Phil

Phil

Sam
05-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks Phil, I check it out.

Sam

MOP
05-03-2005, 09:00 AM
I am a salt rat and have had to fix a few, it lasts and keeps you from having to pull the engine. I would do it as a preventitive even if it is not leaking, $4 bucks for a can of blow foam cheap insurance.

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
05-03-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm surprised no-one's yet suggested the bearing/seal on the steering shaft that passes through the outer trans plate.

Very common for them to leak there too. Also common for the seal under the trans plate to let go and leak ... had a friend go through this last year.(Of course right after he got the boat ready for the season and put it over !)

S

MOP
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh God! Someone had to bring that one up! Did not think of that one either, that is a real pain of a job. We had two jobs last season, the customers were real unhappy real expensive when you have to have it done. It really ticks me off that Merc eliminated the tiller grease fitting so it is sure to fail, it really is true what my Merc dealer says "They are an annuity"! My new Bravo shield is that way, I would drill it for a fitting but do not have any guide line where to drill, they have also eliminated the gimbles tilt fittings which I will pull apart and install them. They truly SUCK in my opinion! Most manufactureres strive to make things better, the strive for more dealer work!

Phil

GEOO
05-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Check your raw water pump when the engine is running