PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic bb w/ alpha drive??

rag top man
05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
found a 1988 classic with a 454 and an alpha drive, anyone think that this is a bad combo (the alpha drive that is) i know everyone wants the bravo drive, but i'm guessing the alpha was originally a mate for the smaller engines, and this boat, with the 454, sounds like a mid-life transplant and upgrade from a smaller mortor, anyone have any thoughts?? thanks in advance

gcarter
05-01-2005, 07:46 PM
It seems there were quite a few 454-330 HP/ Alpha boats built. I'm probably running that much HP if not more in SBC/ Alpha Minx. I just don't dog it. I expect it to last a long time. :smash: :)

Lenny
05-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Marc and Polly have that combo. (FarmerTex) It has worked for them for quite a while. As George said, no hole shots with that 350+ of torque and limit the air time. At least the hole cut out will allow for a Bravo in later life.

Unlike mine :(

Pismo
05-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Merc made the 454 with an Alpha drive for a couple years in the late 80s. It is an ok setup, use a low pitched prop, let it rev, never a 4 or 5 blade, take is easy while planning and on re-entry and it will last as long as you want. A switch to a bravo is an easy job anyhow when the time comes.

MOP
05-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Have no fear they do hang in there as long as you don't hammer it to death! There are a ton on heavy cruisers which load them up real good, if you do go through with the buy I would do two things. One change the gear oil to Merc Hi Perf, two put a drive shower on it, the uppers on ALL Merc's run a bit on the warm side. Then have many happy Donzi Daze!

Phil

gcarter
05-01-2005, 08:27 PM
I second Phils suggestion about the drive shower. :wavey: