PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand the term "Damn Donzi"

dfunde01
05-01-2005, 01:13 PM
The maiden run of the 2005 Classic 16 4.3 never left the trailer. Installed battery, filled fuel tank, backed trailer into water, started engine, ran for less than a minute, shut down. Wouldn't restart. Fuel gauge read empty, which I knew was not correct. The merc manual instructed to open fuel cut off , but damn if I could find a cut off. Very frustrated right now. I have very little patience with anything that comes out of the box not working. 2/10 of an hour showing on meter. Almost ready to take offers. any ideas?

MOP
05-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Not sure if yours id the same as my 91 16 was, but onder the carpet you may find an access port under it there should fuel shut off valve.

Phil

Mr X
05-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Lift up the center storage compartment in the floor,
at the front of that there is a round access pie.
Lift it up with a screw driver.......then you will see a little valve handle on the fuel hose fitting........make sure that the little handle is pointing in the same direction as the fuel line.......it is then in the "on" position.

Shanghied Again
05-01-2005, 02:08 PM
After Donzi test the boats they shut the valve off for shipping, I am surprised the dealership that sold the boat didn't prep the boat? Actually I wouldn't get disgusted with the boat I would have a few questions were you bought the boat especilly if you paid for prep? But like Mr X said thats were the valve is located. Also check your oil, trim oil, power steering fluid and drive oil before you venture out the factory doesn't fill these items to the full mark.

dfunde01
05-01-2005, 03:00 PM
I bought the boat from a young man that won it in the SE King Fish tournament in Savannah so I knew I had to do the prep. The boat has not been off the trailer since he took possession. I had my a local shop check the oil and all fluids, install the prop, install a battery, and hour meter. For some reason they didn't test run the engine and I will discuss that with them. I'm off to look for the valve. any ideas on why the fuel gauge might not be working? The donzi owners manual is almost useless as it is not model specific to the Classic 16. I guess I'll call the factory tomorrow and inquire about more specific documentation.

Dave

After Donzi test the boats they shut the valve off for shipping, I am surprised the dealership that sold the boat didn't prep the boat? Actually I wouldn't get disgusted with the boat I would have a few questions were you bought the boat especilly if you paid for prep? But like Mr X said thats were the valve is located. Also check your oil, trim oil, power steering fluid and drive oil before you venture out the factory doesn't fill these items to the full mark.

dfunde01
05-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks Captain. About a 10" round access hatch, under carpet, between he bucket seats gives direct access to fuel valve and qauge wiring. Wiring at sender looked good. The storage locker in the Classic 16 is under the back seat. I really hate to put anything into service with out the full documentation to review before hand. I hope to return the favor some day. There must have been just enought fuel in the line and injectors to start and run for 30 or 45 seconds.

Many thanks,

Dave
www.djf.com (http://www.djf.com)

Lift up the center storage compartment in the floor,
at the front of that there is a round access pie.
Lift it up with a screw driver.......then you will see a little valve handle on the fuel hose fitting........make sure that the little handle is pointing in the same direction as the fuel line.......it is then in the "on" position.

Mr X
05-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Glad to help,
that is exactly why it ran for less than 1 minute.

You will not get any more documentation from the factory.
Thats all they come with.
I worked at the factory for 3 years.
Also, the fuel guage will bounce back to life when you run the boat and hit a few waves.......the sender is just stuck from sitting.
You can try turning on the ignition and gently hitting the sending unit
area with your fist.....thats where that wiring is located.

dfunde01
05-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Mr.X,

You are hereby retained as my official Sweet 16 consultant. I went back and launched at Big Creek on Lake Lanier. A short run at 40 mph, break in you know, in the Sunday afternoon chop off Holiday Marina brought the fuel gauge back to life. I was running with the out drive all the way down due to the chop and still got some porpoising. Couldn't trim the porpoising out in the confused water. I'll see how it handles on smooth water on Lake Hartwell in a few weeks and then decide on wheter I need tabs. It's gonna take some seat time to feel comfortable at WOT. In the Sunday chop on Lanier speed is indeed relative. 40 mph at 2500 rpm feels like 130 in my drag car (I like fast), but the 16 never felt on the edge. I think I'll lay off any HP projects until I'm competent to handle what I have.

Thanks again.

Can someone too dull to find the dang fuel cutoff become a SEADOG?

Dave

Th
Glad to help,
that is exactly why it ran for less than 1 minute.

You will not get any more documentation from the factory.
Thats all they come with.
I worked at the factory for 3 years.
Also, the fuel guage will bounce back to life when you run the boat and hit a few waves.......the sender is just stuck from sitting.
You can try turning on the ignition and gently hitting the sending unit
area with your fist.....thats where that wiring is located.

onesubdrvr
05-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Can someone too dull to find the dang fuel cutoff become a SEADOG?

Dave
Th

Dave, I am by no means the official SEADOG, that would be LastTango (Supreme SEADOG). BUT, they welcomed me with open arms, officially the 22nd of April, 2005 - there ARE rules to being anointed though. A better bunch of people would be hard to find.

Hey, dull or not doesn't matter, heck, they let me in, and I've got a Ragazza :biggrin:

Wayne

MOP
05-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Dave spring for a set of trim tabs, they do wonders on a 16. The 16 has an annoying habit of porpoising right at comfortable cruise. Starts at 26-2700 and don't stop until about 38-3900. In a chop the tabs make the 16 think it is a lot bigger than it is. I run in a big shallow bay that kicks azz but found that tabs a bit down and the drive trimmed just a tad up and you can run in 3' slop wihtout getting beat up, yes you will be wet but that is boating!

Phil

Chili 18
05-02-2005, 12:52 AM
It's gonna take some seat time to feel comfortable at WOT. In the Sunday chop on Lanier speed is indeed relative. 40 mph at 2500 rpm feels like 130 in my drag car (I like fast), but the 16 never felt on the edge. I think I'll lay off any HP projects until I'm competent to handle what I have.
Th

Thinking back, My first time out on my 18 in Sep 03 was the most WOW factor. I "shouldn't" have taken it out at all. Needed major engine and drive work. Yet, held together for a first ride. Remember nudging the gas forward and this sort of "oh chit" this thing is FAST. And that probably wasn't even 45. Backed it down to idle and just sat there grinning for a bit...:-) Every time out since then has had new experiences and different conditions to play with and learn... Always fun... But that first drive Ill never forget.

ENJOY!!!

Bad-Tat
05-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Dfun,
That chop of Holiday and further south at the entrance to Bald Ridge channel are the worst places on Lanier to try and drive thru. Just have to slow down at those two spots. 22 has trouble with those. Go north of Browns Bridge and it gets much better in the 16. My solution to porp was just gas it and go. Never did have tabs.
Now the Tat is another story for tabs!!!