PDA

View Full Version : Volvo / Ford flywheel hub question

AGUESS
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi and thank you for your help on my last post.

New question.

Do you know if the old ford OMC electric shift flywheel hub / drive shaft connector will match up with a 1998 Volvo SX drive shaft spline?

The hub that I purchased to mate with my new ford 351 PCM engine, did not line up perfect. I driled out one hole in the hub, but now find that when I reinstalled the flywheel and this hub, that it does not tighten down all the way, causing the flywheel to woble. I have not started the engine and won't until everything is correct.

The hub I purchased is a volvo hub, about 6" in dia and 5 1/2 inch deep. If I remember correctly the old OMC hub fits flat against the flywheel and only sticks out about 1 1/2 inch.

I expect that this is not the correct hub for my ford as the bell housing that I got from the same seller does not fit my 351. I have purchased another bell housing that is correct.

Thank you again.

Alex.

MOP
04-30-2005, 10:35 PM
You say the coupler and wheel do not tighten straigt so it wobbles, Aparently the hub is not fitting the flywheels recess properly.
I wonder if you got the late OMC hub if that would work, look at item #54 which is the late style OMC Ford coupler http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/omc_oem/OMC.asp?Type=13&A=18&B=4 During the later years Volvo and OMC were working quite closely. Let me see if one of my sources has a coupler I can grab one and try it to see if the splines are the same, both OMC and Volvo had Ford blocks in various forms before OMC went down.

Phil

AGUESS
05-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Phil,

Thank you for your help. The picture you attached is great. It also shows another potential problem. It appears that I need to use Studs with nuts to attache this. I just purchased longer bolts. Perhaps they are hitting bottom before pulling everything down.

This is the problem I have with trying to do this without a manual of some type. Because I am trying to mate the ford 351 with the Volvo SX Cobra drive, I have been unable to find this setup in a manual.

The parts picture you have attached is of great help. I really hope I don't have to buy a $300.00 hub.

Thanks again.

Alex.

MOP
05-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Give me a day or two to let me see if there is one at my old shop and if it will slip onto the Volvo spline, I need to get up into the (dead zone) the attic above the shop! Tons of interesting things gathering dust! That hub is very expensive would be nice to cop a used one cheap if it will do the job. If this route fails there is another way using a standard flex plate, I will get into how to do that if need be.

Phil