PDA

View Full Version : Hey MADCOWS, Michigan neighbors & Dr. Dan.....

gold-n-rod
04-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I was chatting with Brad (bverd) today as he was looking over my potential Classic purchase and he mentioned that he and Dr. Dan have discussed towing to Michigan to boat. I suggested that I would be happy to host.

Here are my thoughts. I have a place in Frankfort that is 2 blocks to the Lake Michigan launch ramp and 1 mile to Crystal Lake. I have plenty of ground for parking tow vehicles and trailers and also lots of indoor sleeping room as well as tenting sites. I am also 1 block from the liquor store.

Are any of you MADCOWS interested in helping me put a long weekend together to host Brad, the good Doctor and others who need to see what real fresh water boating is all about? A bbq could also be arranged. I have no dates in mind, Doc and Brad's input is required.

I think it would be a real blast. Your thoughts?

Dr. Dan
05-01-2005, 09:24 AM
:beer: Well like a good shoe sale...sooner or later the word gets out... :yes:

I wanna come to Michigan...in August...I could only do it the weekend of the 20th or the 27th...I have committments otherwise. I also have to coordinate with my Brother Mike who keeps a Sundancer in Whitehall, I will have to see him and spend some time there...or it would be bad! Especially with my Donzi, which he loves(his back doesn't)! So I have to think how to mix it all in...in addition to that...we have Brads schedule...I am reasonably sure I will be coming Solo...not sure about Brad...

I know Todd(Roadtrip & Jill) are up for it...so we will just have to play it by ear...there are a ton of Donzis in Michigan...but I also have to consider my Family committments first...as long as they can be coordinated...I have no worries...otherwise...its Family before Donzi...I have not been home in over 2 years...so it's overdue!

I used to go to Crystal Lake...and also go to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, watch the Hill Climbs....I am originally from Howell, and attended MSU in 77 to about 83 I think...Magic was there then...he used to play our High School.

I have relatives that Homesteaded the Lower Tip of the U.P. in Hessel/Cederville?...So I am a Fudgy on Mackinaw!

I think Michigan ...particularly Western Michigan is the undiscovered Jewel in our MidWest... so many great Lakes, Fresh Water... scenery that is difficult to describe...

I look forward to hooking up...with some Donzis... I hope it works out schedule wise.

Doc :spongebob

Last Tango
05-01-2005, 10:10 AM
We also have a board member, Riley, who lives in Cedarville...

tamburello
05-01-2005, 07:13 PM
I'd be up for towing north a bit and running with you guys on some of that clear blue water you guys have. The nickname or my home lake is "macatoilet" if that clues you in to the water that I usually drop the boat into. Gold-n-rod, I think you spotted us at Sleeping bear dunes last summer, my wife was wearing the AOTH Criterion shirt. We were up at my Grandma's cottage on Glen lake. It'd be a blast to run on Crystal or wherever up in your vicinity.

- Jeff

gold-n-rod
05-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I'd be up for towing north a bit and running with you guys on some of that clear blue water you guys have. The nickname or my home lake is "macatoilet" if that clues you in to the water that I usually drop the boat into. Gold-n-rod, I think you spotted us at Sleeping bear dunes last summer, my wife was wearing the AOTH Criterion shirt. We were up at my Grandma's cottage on Glen lake. It'd be a blast to run on Crystal or wherever up in your vicinity.

- Jeff

Jeff, you have a great memory, yes that was me. I had just returned from walking the wooded trail (no dune climb for me at that point of my recuperation) when y'all pulled up. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until much later. Damn, I wish I had been thinking then and could have met you.

I like the idea of getting another chance to meet and boat with you. I'm sure we can put a fun weekend together in August. I'm just waiting to get some feedback from some of the MADCOWS.

Sam
05-01-2005, 08:19 PM
It's been a few years since I was on Crystal, if there's room I would love to make it up there.

THX
Sam

roadtrip se
05-02-2005, 09:07 AM
we have been banging around a Donzi trip to northern Michigan for quite some time now.

Jill and I just got back from a quick run up there a few weeks back and we're planning another shot in June, with the convertible, IF it will stop snowing.

Any way, we fell in love with the Torch Lake area. Not to derail anything, but if we could work a side trip into this weekend in August to Torch, that would be my vote. Paging Mr. Blackhawk...

Jill and I would show where-ever, so lets land on a date and some accomodations, and make it happen.

Thanks for bringing it up Gold-n-rod.

RT

18FOOTER
05-02-2005, 09:44 AM
i'm in!!! i've been waiting to see something in my neck of the state. time restraints don't leave room for more than a day or two':propeller :cool!: :spit:
we have been banging around a Donzi trip to northern Michigan for quite some time now.

Jill and I just got back from a quick run up there a few weeks back and we're planning another shot in June, with the convertible, IF it will stop snowing.

Any way, we fell in love with the Torch Lake area. Not to derail anything, but if we could work a side trip into this weekend in August to Torch, that would be my vote. Paging Mr. Blackhawk...

Jill and I would show where-ever, so lets land on a date and some accomodations, and make it happen.

Thanks for bringing it up Gold-n-rod.

RT

Sam
05-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Randy, what do you know about speed limit's and noise restrictions ect on the proposed lake site.

Sam

gold-n-rod
05-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Randy, what do you know about speed limit's and noise restrictions ect on the proposed lake site.

Sam

Neither restrictions on Crystal, but that's no excuse to piss off the locals. I know the guy who lives next to the road end where we would launch. I think I could keep him calm with a little schmoozing. His kid's got a 26 go fast that's loud as hell, so he's used to it. In terms of everyone else on the lake, if we keep it to the middle of the lake and during reasonable hours, the water cops (if there are any in the Sheriff's budget for this year) will leave us alone. The lake is 9 miles tip to tip, so there's lots of room to run. Also, Lake Michigan is a block away, so there's an option for those who need to be loud and proud.

Plus there's a nice sand bar to kill hours at that's tons-o-fun.

As Todd says, Torch is also a great lake, but others before us have spoiled it. They heavily enforce noise and speed there.

blackhawk
05-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Roadtrip, just let me know when you're heading to Torch, I'm there almost every weekend.

gold-n-rod, never had any problems with noise or speed at Torch, and there a lot of much faster and much louder boats than myself there. We've ran 20 abreast going down that lake WFO before. :D

I'd be up for a weekend on Crystal as well. That is if I am still welcome now that I no longer own a Donzi! :rolleyes: :wink:

Magicallbill
05-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Hey All,
I spent summers in the early 70's on Portage Lake,Onekama area;Worked at the Inn for years.
July 24th-29th Jason and I will be up with his restored 16 and my 18 for our annual vacation there.
21 miles South of Frankfort,channel to L. Michigan,and it's the only connecting body of water to the Big Lake that is clear,besides Charlevoix(I'm not counting Grand Traverse Bay.)
Public Launch(free)in Onekama,or an easy run down from Frankfort if the Lake is calm.The dunes between Frankfort&Portage are some of the coolest on the Lake, I think.
So.....if any of you are around that area the last week of July,let me know, we'd be happy to meet&hang out for a bit;ride in each others Donzi's,or anchor off the beach,and just be glad we're boating.

Magical Bill