PDA

View Full Version : Speed alternatives

onesubdrvr
04-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Lets say that someone had a boat that was running at near 60,....in my opinion, that seems to be the "cut-off" speed, to me it seems like there is a jump there to 70+mph.

And lets say that some-one wanted to get to that 70mph mark, obviously there is a couple of options,.....

1) bigger engine, although we all know that size is sometimes a limiting factor
2) Supercharging - That seems that at even mild boost (3.0 psi or so), that it will pretty easily give a 10mph jump in speed
3) Turbo charging - has this been done? any info?
4) Obvious N2O, but, there seems to be restrictions there, info here?
5) I read something somewhere, and now can't find it, about another bottle system that cools the intake thus increasing hp, anyone know about this?
6) Any other interesting speed gains (outside the engine itself)?

As always, just curious!
Wayne

gold-n-rod
04-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Wayne: You are to be commended for getting a Rag to 60. From this point on up, it takes cubic dollars, lots of them. I once heard a rule of thumb of $1000 per mph. I'm guessing that's low.

My guts tell me that you'll have severe hull limatations taking a Rag 21 to 70.

I think you have stumbled upon the reason why people buy the 22 foot Z boat. It's made to go that fast.

I'm sure you love the Rag for a lot of reasons, bowrider, lots of freeboard, generous cockpit space, etc., but those assets can be found in a Z boat also, plus a stepped hull!!! Have you investigated the 22Z bowrider?

My 2 cents.

onesubdrvr
04-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Wayne: You are to be commended for getting a Rag to 60. From this point on up, it takes cubic dollars, lots of them. I once heard a rule of thumb of $1000 per mph. I'm guessing that's low.

My guts tell me that you'll have severe hull limatations taking a Rag 21 to 70.

I think you have stumbled upon the reason why people buy the 22 foot Z boat. It's made to go that fast.

I'm sure you love the Rag for a lot of reasons, bowrider, lots of freeboard, generous cockpit space, etc., but those assets can be found in a Z boat also, plus a stepped hull!!! Have you investigated the 22Z bowrider?

My 2 cents.
Yeah, looking at a couple right now,
I'd like to find one in my area that was a trade in, so I can trade mine in vice having to sell it then find one.
I'm also looking at the 22zx-with the cuddy, there would be room for the entire family. One problem I've found with the 22z is the one's I've seen only have an Alpha drive, and if I do any engine mods I'd be taxing the out drive.

BUT, if you have a lead,.....:wink:
Wayne

gold-n-rod
04-30-2005, 08:58 AM
BUT, if you have a lead,.....:wink:
Wayne

There's a beauty here in Michigan, red in color. It is the Alpha drive, however, as you have discovered.

There is/was a sweet yellow/white one on Trader On-line from Wisconsin, I believe.

MOP was representing one too, IIRC.

Good luck.

MOP
04-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Wayne you managed to make an "IRAG" (IROC) out of the rag and did very well, keep it as your family hauler and do up another hull for serious play. I bet they will all be happy with rides in both.

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Wayne you managed to make an "IRAG" (IROC) out of the rag and did very well, keep it as your family hauler and do up another hull for serious play. I bet they will all be happy with rides in both.

Phil
Phil,

I like that, IRAG,.....

Yeah, I've got alot of things I'm considering, the one you mentioned being perhaps the best idea. I've been thinking about a newer Z-22 (my boat is in pretty darn good shape, but having something 12 years newer would be nice), and that way I'd have my engine for a new project (see post in Wanted section)! Also, considering a ZX, comfy ride, seats for 5 + the cuddy, so family of 6 no problem, AND - BB to start with Bravo I drive, lots of room to work up from there. Perhaps the biggest thing is financials. As I've mentioned before, I've got lots of $ tied up right now while building the new house, a situation that will exist until this winter when construction is complete. Hopefully, in the mean time, I'll get mamma to more events (she had a BLAST at AngelAID), so that the perverbial poison donzi (like poison ivey) itch spreads more on her. She really liked BabyDonzi's 22zx, and even liked a 40th anniv. 18' classic that Haskell marine bought to the run as well. Also, when selling our existing house, we'll make a killing, and IF we get to enough events, I may even talk her into a brandy new boat. IN THE MEAN TIME, I'm looking at things to boost my engine up (to keep for a project), or even get some feelers going for a new boat.

Wayne

MOP
04-30-2005, 10:15 AM
You have entered the realm of the afflicted in this very expensive hobby!

blackhawk
04-30-2005, 10:24 AM
#1- http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/94CE52F1-5DC6-4600-98EE-73FC2721CB5A/0/81_DP_05.pdf

#2- http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/products.asp

#3- http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/search.php?searchid=270892

#4- http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=8&article_id=256&page_number=1&preview

#5- http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/nx_n-tercooler_kit/

#6- I WISH!!! :D

You could always start with 1, then add 2,3,4 or 5 later! :D

BUIZILLA
04-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Also, considering a ZX, comfy ride, seats for 5 + the cuddy, so family of 6 no problem6 huh..., put 6 in that cockpit, and try and have all 6 stand at the same time, much less move...
think DECKBOAT, with a 300 Duo Prop Volvo
JH

onesubdrvr
04-30-2005, 10:59 AM
6 huh..., put 6 in that cockpit, and try and have all 6 stand at the same time, much less move...
think DECKBOAT, with a 300 Duo Prop Volvo
JH
Am I being tempted here to re-create the famous Donzi Deck from AngelAID?
I can see it now, a super charged Donzi Deck with an arneson, N02, and alot of seat belts and oh poop handles

Wayne
ps. there is about a dozen for sale on BoatTrader right now

onesubdrvr
04-30-2005, 12:34 PM
NOT that you have been looking or anything.....
WEll,....

With all the hype, and in a generic search "Donzi" 21-27 ft, a couple came up

Wayne

gold-n-rod
04-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Wayne, if (and that's a big if) you can convince the powers that be so you could become a 2 boat family, that's the real ticket.

I have a 24' cuddy, similar in layout to the Rag, that my family flat out refuses me to get rid of. It has all the amenities that you value in your IRAG. If all checks out, I will be picking up my '03 Sweet Sixteen in 2 weeks. I did the math, to replace my boat with a similar setup, only newer and with more hi-po potential, like a 22ZX for example, would be well over $50K. As a 2 boat family, I spend way less than half of that amount for a playtoy boat, keep the boat my family loves and everyone comes out a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

A 2 boat family, what a concept!!! :hyper:

RonZi
04-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Wayne, if (and that's a big if) you can convince the powers that be so you could become a 2 boat family, that's the real ticket.

I have a 24' cuddy, similar in layout to the Rag, that my family flat out refuses me to get rid of. It has all the amenities that you value in your IRAG. If all checks out, I will be picking up my '03 Sweet Sixteen in 2 weeks. I did the math, to replace my boat with a similar setup, only newer and with more hi-po potential, like a 22ZX for example, would be well over $50K. As a 2 boat family, I spend way less than half of that amount for a playtoy boat, keep the boat my family loves and everyone comes out a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

A 2 boat family, what a concept!!! :hyper:

Sounds like me with Corvettes, but I grew out of it and Into Donzi fever..one problem.. still have the vettes..;)

Cuda
04-30-2005, 04:45 PM
The cost for going from 60 to 70 goes up exponentially instead of linear. If you have the Rag at 60, you can sit back and be pretty sure there's not another Rag going to pass you.

MOP
04-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Qoute!

I can see it now, a super charged Donzi Deck with an Arneson, N02, and alot of seat belts and oh poop handles.

I got one of them thar egg beaters in my garage!

onesubdrvr
04-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Qoute!

I can see it now, a super charged Donzi Deck with an Arneson, N02, and alot of seat belts and oh poop handles.

I got one of them thar egg beaters in my garage!
Can you imagine that? HUMPH!!
The things some people do, or think of huh!

Wayne