PDA

View Full Version : New/Old Member Hornet Question

bifs19
04-29-2005, 08:55 PM
I was a registered member a number of years ago and had my 1973 19' Hornet (C19H61) listed in the registry. However, several years ago something happened to my ability to log in and I couldn't seem to re-register. One thing led to another and I ended up not participating anymore; although I did stop by from time to time and read the forum posts. Tonight , I got the bug to re-register and was successful this time. To get reaquainted...I've had my Hornet for well over twenty years now and am the first titled owner (long story). This boat remains completely original, even down to the engine paint (including plug wires), exhaust manifolds, and interior; and the hull has never been painted. I have always been curious as to how many Hornets were configured like this one as I'm not sure it was a such a great combination. The engine is a stock Mercruiser "325" (427 cu in BBC) with a Velvet drive transmission, and a Mercruiser type III outdrive. I have seen this power setup in one 21' GT, but never in a Hornet. I did have to add trim tabs for better control as there is way too much cast iron in the rear of this boat..in spite of the beamy Hornet. Interestingly, there is another member with a 19' Hornet (C19H62) that is a 1972, even though it has a higher serial number??? Any info on my Hornet 's configuration would be appreciated.

Lenny
04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
BIF, we wants pics please :D Lots of em.

Welcome back :yes:

bifs19
04-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Boat from South River originally???

As a matter of fact...yes! The story as was told to me was that at some point in time, South River Marina was a Donzi dealer. What ever happened to them..I don't know, but in the early 80s, they offered several stored Donzi's for sale. I assumed that my boat was a dealer demo left-over and had been stored in a rack for a fairly long time after they were no longer a Donzi dealer. It had a nice coat of pigeon poop on it! Unfortunately, what dings and scratches that's on the boat came from its early life at the marina. Interestingly, one of the other boats there was the twin engined Donzi (IIRC around 23') that was called "Satan's Chariot". We looked at it but it seemed like it needed a lot of work and we opted for the Hornet. I believe Satan's Chariot has been referenced several times over the years on this web site. I was selling a 16' flat bottom V-drive ski boat (that I scratch built) in order to buy a Donzi, and I didn't want a lot of work to do on the new boat. So, how did you know about South River?

bifs19
04-29-2005, 09:18 PM
BIF, we wants pics please :D Lots of em.

Welcome back :yes:

What pictures I can provide for now are already located in the registry under hull no: C19H61

Lenny
04-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Bif, the Chariot has been for sale MANY times in the last 5 years. I think if you dig deep and throw out $65K you might get it now. :eek:

I like your Hornet. Very nice :yes:

http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=94

You need to fill in more of the blanks on this boat on the registry page :D

bifs19
04-29-2005, 09:49 PM
I guess not buying Satan's Chariot was similar to the time in late 1968 that we passed on buying the red Shelby GT-350 Convertible. It was a choice between the "left over 1968 Shelby" on the showroom floor or a brand new 1969 Mustang for the same price. Of course, we opted for the newer 69 model! Who wanted those old left over Shelbys back then? Thanks for the compliment on the Hornet.

Lenny
04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Bif, the gal I live with, her dad had one and three kids. (one was her) He tried to build a summer cabin on a local Island for all to enjoy. The Shelby was just plain dumb for this task :eek: GT-350, all the bells and whistles. Anyways, I have pictures of her and her Dad there with it in the backround and rakes and wheelbarrows etc. He got "rid" of his impractical vehicle to get a truck. :(

We have all heard the stories, I have seen them. There is a picture of the 5 of them all happy around their new "truck" :( ..oooh... :(

Glad it doesn't happen just here :rolleyes:

We won't go into my 327 '67 Chevelle 2D HT Black on black that I hit a deer with a week after buying it (at about 90MPH) , from my dad, who bought it new and NEVER drove it ,... will we ??? Not in the same league but a travesity for sure. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Bob
04-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Welcome back to the board. My Hornet is titled a 1971 and is # C19HV59. I assume the V is for V drive. Anybody have an idea of the last 19' Hornet hull number?
If I'm not mistaken, I remember a board member talking about a bicentennial model made in 1976. White hull with red-blue candy stripe interior!
The mid 1970's was a time of bad stock markets and rising gas prices so I bet big block powerboats were tough to sell. Looks like they only made one or two Hornets a year during this time.