PDA

View Full Version : Help unplugging Bravo1 Speedo pitot

synack
04-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I've got a Bravo 1 with a plugged pitot and a non-working speedo. I read on OSO that one trick is to put in a 3/32 drill bit and hand wind to try to clear the obstruction. I can't get in much more than half an inch before I hit something SOLID and hand winding the bit doesn't seem to do much of anything.

I also read that there's supposed to be a 3" tupe in the drive that you can pull out with a 1/8" bit. Should you be able to see this tube from the outside at all?

Is there any trick to clearing this?

Lenny
04-28-2005, 11:30 PM
...not sure it will work... BUT... on outboards, Dad has a few, the salt $ucks up everything. We take a piece of rigid wire (clothes-hanger type) bend it into a "Z" so to speak, only the angle of the "Z" is straight and put it in the hole and "spin" it, by hand, with the "handle" we created until it is clear.

Don't know if that will help but we have to do it all the time with the small outboards in the summer salt.

Chili 18
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM

I'm in theory land.... How about blowing it out with 'very' modest compressed air from up front?

Ranman
04-29-2005, 08:44 AM
With the drive in trailer position, look around to the "front" fo the drive. This would be the area that faces the transom of the boat. You should see a small black tube leading to a grey connector going into the drive. The connector will have a finger on it that is cocked to one side. Flip the finger to the other side (like a switch) and pull the connector and tube straight out of the drive. Watch for and don't lose the o-ring This is your pitot tube that runs up to the speedo head. Once disconnected try your 3/32 drill through the speedo pickup (pitot) hole in the drive. Also make sure the end of the tube (at the connector) is clean of debris.

MOP
04-29-2005, 11:25 AM
One thing that helps is to soak the lower case in a tub water so the muck softens, the mud usualy turns to cement when dry.

Phil

2biguns
04-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I've got a Bravo 1 with a plugged pitot and a non-working speedo. I read on OSO that one trick is to put in a 3/32 drill bit and hand wind to try to clear the obstruction. I can't get in much more than half an inch before I hit something SOLID and hand winding the bit doesn't seem to do much of anything.

I also read that there's supposed to be a 3" tupe in the drive that you can pull out with a 1/8" bit. Should you be able to see this tube from the outside at all?

I used to keep a Black & Decker screw driver drill bit (that has the hex base) in the boat to keep the tube clear. Turning the bit by hand is easier with that base and the rotation will help pull the blockage out.

I'd be careful of blowing INTO the hole as you might force the blockage deeper.

Good luck.