PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery weight relocation??

RickSE
04-28-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm replacing my lead-acid batteries with the big Optima batteries. I need to remount these in new boxes so I'm wondering if it makes sense to move both batteries forward in the engine bay as much as possible. This is on a 22C where the factory placement has the port battery forward near the front of the engine and the starboard battery back near the rear of the engine. Looks like Donzi was trying to get the center of gravity near the center of the motor. Wouldn't it make more sense to move the center of gravity forward as much as possible or should I just remount in the same location and leave things alone?

Greg K
04-28-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm replacing my lead-acid batteries with the big Optima batteries. I need to remount these in new boxes so I'm wondering if it makes sense to move both batteries forward in the engine bay as much as possible. This is on a 22C where the factory placement has the port battery forward near the front of the engine and the starboard battery back near the rear of the engine. Looks like Donzi was trying to get the center of gravity near the center of the motor. Wouldn't it make more sense to move the center of gravity forward as much as possible or should I just remount in the same location and leave things alone?

I have a pair that are mounted on a shelf right in front of the motor in the center. Now if I could only find the pic...

Dr. Dan
04-28-2005, 10:38 PM
:spongebob Not sure where Greggers are ...but here is mine...

http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_drdan/Bat_Boxes I will eventually switch to the Optimas...just gotta wait for the Money Tree to sprout more Green. If the link doesn't work...go to my Gallery Page on www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com under Dr. Dan page 2. is a shot of them low and in front of the Motor...work great...no issues...and its gotta help with Balancing the Boat when I am chasing MOP in the Islands.

Doc :beer:

RedDog
04-29-2005, 08:59 AM
I put both of mine all the way back near the transom - I think CigaretteSS recommended this location?

Greg K
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Dan

Mine are in the same place...

boldts
04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
My 22 had both batteries up near the front of the engine. One on each side. Something that needs to be remembered with Rick's 22 is that it is a Special Edition I think? Higher drive X dimension and or a shorter drive leg if I remember correctly. Batteries may be where they are at for a reason like keeping some weight in the transom of that model.

I'm no expert and for sure don't have experience with CG in a 22 Classic.

roadtrip se
04-29-2005, 11:08 AM
IMHO...

I replaced my Gil boxes with Teague Billets in the same staggered position.

Move them forward and you got something else to work around when replacing impellors and the like.

Move them forward and you are going to have to do some cosmetic and rehab work, wiring etc.

Now that I'm Offshore Racer Boy Junior, I still haven't forgotten the lessons learned from big boat days. All of my big boats were set up with staggered batteries. CG does play a role in this.

The OMC boats didn't have shelves on the sides of the motor like the AMH boats do, so they have fewer options. Call me superstitious, and I have said this to Dan, but placing the batteries above one of the possibly wettest parts of the bilge would not be my personal preference either.

I say buy some nice bling, bling metal boxes and put'em where they are today.
Why mess with it?

RT
"I can see the Rooster Boy comments coming already..."

RickSE
04-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok, guess I'll just remount the new batteries & boxes where the old ones were in the staggered position. As Roadtrip-SE states, moving the starboard battery forward makes it a lot more difficult to crawl in the engine bay for service needs.

Thanks guys.

Barry Phillips
04-29-2005, 01:01 PM
My 22 has one aft, starboard side and the other is forward on the port side. I’ve wondered why Donzi chose this location since the drive trim pump is located on the port side adding to the weight biased. I would think that if both batteries were forward of the motor with a slight biased starboard the boat would be better balanced, offsetting the trim pump, plus the aft battery is a bitch to left out since I take them home in the winter. One last point I used to have Classic 18, which had a single battery, and it was located under the rear seat in the center of the boat. I thought this was a good location except, you would not be able see those cool Optima batteries and the aluminum boxes when you get them. I love eye candy.

MOP
04-29-2005, 02:51 PM
When I was figuring out my set I had planned on putting them well aft, when I got to placing things that had to be in certain places it got super crouded. That lead me to mounting mine forward, though I would have chosen to mount them center line but I mounted them just outboard of the stringers About 18" fatrher back from where the original one was. This gives me decent access to the front of the engine and still makes it easy to service stuff on the sides of the engine.

Phil