PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge/tank question for 2003 or newer 22C's

RickSE
04-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I know a few here have 2003 or newer 22 Classics with the new poly fuel tank.

If you have one, how does your fuel gauge react as you pull fuel out of a full tank? Approx. how much of the 52 gallons do you have to use before the gauge starts to move off of the full mark? We noticed on a new 2005 that after driving around for several hours (4 to 5) with a 496MAG-HO that the fuel gauge never moved off of full. :confused: Does this sound normal for what you guys see?

I know these tanks are V-shaped and there is a lot more fuel at the top then the bottom. Plus with the way these boats sit in the water all the fuel will rest in the back of the tank.

txtaz
04-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Rick, It sounds normal for a boat (any boat). I have never had one that was accurate. When mine comes off full, I have 8 gallons left. Stay tuned, I plan on figuring a way to make the gauge more linear.
Wes

RedDog
04-28-2005, 12:31 PM
My '98 22 has the poly tank. Stays on full for a long time. When it gets to 1/2 full the needle starts to drop like a rock - better find gas soon

Ranman
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Rick,

What you are describing sounds normal. Keep in mind the fuel gauge only tells you where the level of the fuel is in the tank, not the volume of what's left.

The tanks are rectangular at the top and vee'd at the bottom. When the tank is full, the level drops slowly because of the squared top of the tank contains more volume than the bottom vee. Once the fuel level is only in the vee area, it will drop more rapidly. Also, couple this with a sender where the totally full level may be slightly out of the "sweep range" of the sender and you will notice that the gauge stays at full for a long time and will gradually drop to 1/2. From there it will drop quickly. The perception is that the first 1/2 tank lasts 3 times as long as the last 1/2 tank, if that makes any sense.

donzi182003
04-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I have much experience with riding in a 2003 22 and a 2003 18 and both guages are incredibly inaccurate. When the needle comes off of full it is time to find gas because youre runnin on fumes. It really sucks because i get gas every single time i go out out of the fear of running out

Rootsy
04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
on my 16 classic with aluminum tank it kinda does teh same thing... stays on full for a LONNNNNG time... when it begins to move off of full it actually has 1/2 a tank of fuel... half a tank mark on gauge is somewhere around a 1/4 in the tank and since the bottom is a V shape the actual volume is pretty low.. and you best be looking for fuel...

my VDO gauge was like this and my Autometer is teh same exact way...

JR

gcarter
04-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I have read, it seems like, hundreds of these posts. So when I first put some gas in the new RDS tank in my Minx, I expected the same thing. So I started out with only three gallons. After all I only wanted to get the engine started. Amazingly, the gauge registered! I was really pleased. Apparently, better gauge performance can be had, it must take a lot of work though.

txtaz
04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Does anyone have the electrical specs on the sender? Mine is not here at the moment so I can't test it. An inline resistor (I hope) will correct the situation.
Wes

ChromeGorilla
04-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, my first "half" of the tank lasts forever.......when it's at half you'd better be on your way back already :yes:

The "second half" goes quickly.

RickSE
04-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys. Pretty much what I expected to hear. I track my fuel useage by miles traveled, not the gauge or hours. 55 gallons @ 2MPG = 110 miles out of one tank.