PDA

View Full Version : Long-term effects of early (but short) salt water use

gold-n-rod
04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I am about to place a deposit on a boat that I suspect has been run in salt or brackish water for its first 70 hours over 2 seasons (it's an '03 model).

Like the tabs discussion, folks are all over the map on this issue. I've been told to avoid salt water boats and that their value is "greatly reduced" compared to a fresh water boat.

The boat is reported to have been kept on a lift, but there's no way to verify. There is also no apparent way to determine if the previous owner flushed or not. I suppose I could hire a surveyor and direct him to try and determine any salt exposure and consequences, but would that really matter?

It seems to me that no salt exposure is best, followed by minimal exposure followed by regular exposure. I would be using it exclusively in fresh water.

Anyone have any input?

Fish boy
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
this should be an interesting thread. I may as well give my 2 cents not that it is worth that much. You are right, always in fresh is better than salt IMHO. I have grown up around salt water and have run lots of boats there. A boat can be just fine in salt if the owner is dilligent about its care (flush, spray engine with wd 40...).

As far as how yours was cared for, a survey or a mechanic is probably a good idea. Maybe some of the "motor inside the boat" guys can give you some tips on what to check on the motor and drive. I am a clammp on guy so wont be much help there. Also, the wires to gauges etc may have corroded a bit more than they would have with fresh use.

Good luck, and as so many others have said on previous threads, a marine survey is money well spent.

Morgan's Cloud
04-28-2005, 01:59 PM
What Fish Boy said ! !

You did'nt say what kind of boat you're looking at but I'll presume it's a Donzi (classic ?).
Some boats are, by their construction and materials used, far more suited to use in salt than others. Certainly during the '60's and '70's Donzi's were far ahead of 95% of the others in terms of quality of materials used. It was easy to see the difference from the others while perusing a boat show.

As most other will agree here I'm sure.. is that this is really a maintenance issue. I can only dream of boating in fresh water ... hell , I'd have so much spare time on my hands I would'nt know what to do with myself.

All of our boating here is'nt just salt water (supposedly the 2nd saltiest in the world) The boats LIVE in the water too !

You'd be amazed how well a Donzi holds up in salt .
Of course you'd also be amazed how much time a serious owner puts into maintenance also.

If the boat you're looking at appears to be looked after and the engine exterior is still clean and rust free go for it .

Steve

ps Some of the remarks I see here about salt border on sheer paranoia.
C'mon, our boats are supposed to be 'durable goods' are'nt they ?

MOP
04-28-2005, 02:39 PM
You can get a fair idea without being to invasive, pull the Tstat hoses & circ pump hose see how bad things look inside. Also run you hand over the bottom of the oil pan any roughness is not a good sign, you don't need a pan job on your hands this time of year. Once wet with salt it gets into the iron and does not come out, the engine can and probably will last a long time as it stays full of water which inhibits the corrosion. Manifolds, risers, Tstat housings, circ pumps usually go first, my 16 was run in salt for 3 years but very well flushed. When I went to sell it there was some light seepage from the elbows, I pulled the risers and found them in near new shape so just put in new gaskets and sealer. The unknown of what the prior owner did is the tough part! Do a real good look over before you plunk you surveyor dollars down.

Phil

Shanghied Again
04-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Is the boat a 496 H/O with a closed cooling system? If so open the drain plugs below the elbows and check for rust. 70 hours is not a lot of hours in salt. were was the boat used? The Ocean or a back bay. We have brackish water by us and if the boat is taken care of your fine, also look at the manifolds any sign of rust running down the bolts not a good sign, I sell saltwater boats all the time and as long as there taken care of they are fine also 70 hours is not a lot of hours, I would have the motor checked to verify the hours. check the bilge for rust or stains and pitting on any stainless is a good indication of a boat not taken care of.

Cuda
04-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, my boat is 19 years old and has been run in 100% salt water, and it's still going strong. It's all about maintainence. The only thing that would scare me is because it is on a lift, it's harder to flush it.