PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Repair?

DeepSouthF33
04-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Ok I know I had a thread about replacing fuel tanks a couple days ago, but a new(Cheaper) option has been presented to me. My F33 tank has recently sprung a leak-I just had it pumped out so it wouldnt dump its 300 gallons of super in front of my house-so now Im on to my next issue repair vs. replacement---I have not called RDS yet but am still estimating the cost of a new tank to be 3-4K. But the real problem is that the floor panels are an inch too narrow to remove the old tank or install a new one-I bet the fiberglass repair after cutting it out would be another few grand. The pumpout guy,however, suggested coating the inside of the the tank with a two part compound he has applied before that is also used to coat the inside of airplane tanks-he says it will not only fill and fix the leakage but also prevent further leakage-his cost for this is around $1600-I like this idea but was just wondering if anyone had ever had any experience with this or had heard anything about this type of process.

MOP
04-27-2005, 11:37 PM
I think that is a big Not! 99+44-100% your tank is corroded and will continue to do so, you might get away with having the bottom replaced. I have seen a few that had the bottoms cut off and replaced that were otherwise perfect that will save you a few bucks. No pour in stick on stuff will stop it from leaking for long, I have seen all kinds of crap tried.
PS now that the tank is empty, for safety sake it should be water purged and dried to rid it of fumes.

Phil

penbroke
04-28-2005, 07:25 AM
What Phil said.

I looked into this before I replaced my tank all of the tank coating stuff I found require the tank to be shaken and rolled to distribute the coating on the inside.

Get ahold of Donzigo here. I think he has a way...

Frank

Donzigo
04-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I had the same problem on my Z-33...............first, don't even think about anything but a new tanks..............you're kidding yourself to think otherwise.

The Z-25s and Z33s tanks from Perry, Fl. (See George Carter's link) were put in before the top was installed and it was not made big enough for a pull out and replace. So, here's what I did. (see my earlier link many monthes ago) I drained the tank, put one entire container of JOY in it. Washed it out with a hose for around 10 minutes, made mucho suds, then drained it again, then took the hose off and ran a shop-vac in reverse to blow the fumes out for 30 minutes. Then I drilled into the top a pretty large hole (With my heart pounding, & the most scary part of the project, until I relalized that aluminium doesn't make sparks when it is cut), then I took a saws all and cut squares 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft, until it was all gone. I had a new 140 gallon tank made, which was smaller than the old 200 gallon one. It's important to prime and paint the tank - VIP. So, I had two large flanges made on each corner top and bottom, a total of 8 flanges, then I installed the tank on the strips of 1/2 inch neoprene on the bottome for support, then with two bolts per flange, 16 bolts, & bolted them through the large stringers, with the bolts secured by 2 bolts on the flange and two bolts on the stringer, on each side(just like the race boats do it) with NO FOAM around the tank, and also got rid of the pipe at the bottom, so as to have drainage from front compartment to the back, so the tank stays dry (the reason for the corrosion in the first place). It isn't the way the boat companies do it; but, it's the way I do it and it makes perfect sense to me, even tough, there will be those who will say that through bolting is a bad thing. I have inspected them many times and they are still sound, even after 1.5 years and mucho pounding in the ocean by the 8,000 lbs Z-33, in 4s & 6s, something I do without a second thought.

JTR, in St. Pete, made on for ZZ-RHINO, on this board and it came out perfect. So, contact derek at 727-321-6321, at JTR or find another good manufacturer of tanks and get it done right, the first time. Derek does a great job and knows what he is doing, baffles, stainless fittings, placed correctly, etc. etc.

Throw me a call if Ican help further.

Richard Aaron
727-867-7020

Forrest
04-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Call RDS. I believe that a new tank will be much less than you think.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/