PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I'm asking again & this time I won't settle...

gold-n-rod
04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
..... for no answer. Maybe third time's the charm:

Does the 2003 16 Classic have composite stringers and transom? What about a poly fuel tank? I plan to have a boat for a long time and am not interested in either repair.

If someone doesn't know the answer, how about the phone number for the Donzi factory and a person's name to ask.

I need this answer before I take the plunge.

Please? (pretty please with sugar on top?)

penbroke
04-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry, I don't know the answers but there are a couple phone numbers HERE (http://www.donzimarine.com/DonziWebsite/Site/Contact/Contacts.html) .

Good luck,
Frank

MOP
04-27-2005, 08:03 PM
My 91 16 had the poly tank, I have not heard anything about composite stringers mentioned anywhere.

Phil

gold-n-rod
04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
My 91 16 had the poly tank, I have not heard anything about composite stringers mentioned anywhere.

Phil

Rick at Hi-Performance Marine in Grand Rapids (only Donzi dealer remaining in Michigan) told me they made the switch somewere around '00/'01. I'd sure like to be sure. Like by tomorrow.

David Ochs
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Rick at Hi-Performance Marine in Grand Rapids (only Donzi dealer remaining in Michigan) told me they made the switch somewere around '00/'01. I'd sure like to be sure. Like by tomorrow.

Call Donzi :bonk:

Hansel
04-27-2005, 09:11 PM
If/When you ever do get the answer to your question gold-n-rod, be sure to let us know what it is.

Good Luck!

Hansel

roadtrip se
04-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Poly tanks, yes.

Composite stringers? Not in any classic I have ever heard of. My 2001 certainly doesn't have'em.

Keep in mind, these boats are heavy built, and with a little care, will last a life time.

Now of course, if you leave her out in the open in the front lawn, and use her as a bath tub or a flower planter, then you might get some stringer rot after a while!

Buy with confidence, join the club, and never look back...

Todd

Chili 18
04-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Poly tanks, yes.

Composite stringers? Not in any classic I have ever heard of. My 2001 certainly doesn't have'em.

Keep in mind, these boats are heavy built, and with a little care, will last a life time.

Todd

ditto

Especially a 2003.

Generally stringer issues come after years of sitting with water in the bilge. Others may know different facts, but thats my impression. These boats are very solid and built to take anything you could think to throw at it performance driving wise..

enjoy!

Magicallbill
04-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Chili 18,
A little off-topic here;I sent you a PM. Let me know if it got to you
MB

Craig S
04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
ditto

Especially a 2003.

Generally stringer issues come after years of sitting with water in the bilge. Others may know different facts, but thats my impression. These boats are very solid and built to take anything you could think to throw at it performance driving wise..

enjoy!
or a little hole (like a screw hole with no longer effective bedding) seeping moisture into an unvented (ie encapsulated) piece of non rot-resistant wood.
Craig

Ranman
04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
These boats are very solid and built to take anything you could think to throw at it performance driving wise..

I wouldn't go that far to say they'll take anything. They definatly have limits.

gold-n-rod
04-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, the official word back from Donzi is........................ wood.

I called the customer service line this morning and the rep said she'd check with the engineering department and call me back. Her voice mail indicated that the engineers said it was wood.

I checked back with Rick who was suprised at the answer since he'd "been told" the Classics were composite "since 2001." However, he admits that the factory "trumps" all answers. I agree, they should know how their boats are put together.

Hmmmm.....

blackhawk
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM

Randy, is that guy still in business?

donzii22
04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
ya hes still open,r he's on lake michigan drive in ,Standale,michigan
heres a link to his site http://hiperformanceboat.homestead.com/

Rootsy
04-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Surprising about hi-perf still going strong with the atmosphere every time i've been there... i was really bummed when Ski Sensations went under a few years back... they were less than 10 miles from me... and nice folks to deal with...

when you say "composites" are you talking about like CF or Kevlar or some form of exotic core under the glass? cause "technically" plywood is a composite...

and really trip... i think i could "break" one if i REALLY tried ;)

blackhawk
04-28-2005, 12:11 PM
ya hes still open,r he's on lake michigan drive in ,Standale,michigan
heres a link to his site http://hiperformanceboat.homestead.com/

Oh, I know who he is! VERY WELL!!! Last I knew he was closing his doors.

blackhawk
04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Rootsy]Surprising about hi-perf still going strong with the atmosphere every time i've been there...QUOTE]

Ummm, yeah. :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

gold-n-rod
04-28-2005, 01:01 PM
when you say "composites" are you talking about like CF or Kevlar or some form of exotic core under the glass? cause "technically" plywood is a composite...

I was referring to a non-wood, a manmade coring material which would be encapsulated. I never gave it a thought that technically, plywood is a composite. Thanks for setting me straight.

roadtrip se
04-28-2005, 01:03 PM
the "new" set of 31-inch Blackhawk props I bought from Rick a few months back.

"Still in the original boxes"

"Never been on a boat"

"Brand-spanking new"

The props I receieved did not fit this description at all! They were in good shape, but certainly not new. I turned them around to someone who really needed them, but I was a bit more forthright about what he was getting!

Not impressed at all...

RT

blackhawk
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
the "new" set of 31-inch Blackhawk props I bought from Rick a few months back.

"Still in the original boxes"

"Never been on a boat"

"Brand-spanking new"

The props I receieved did not fit this description at all! They were in good shape, but certainly not new. I turned them around to someone who really needed them, but I was a bit more forthright about what he was getting!

Not impressed at all...

RT

Hmmmm, why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Chili 18
04-28-2005, 01:26 PM
or a little hole (like a screw hole with no longer effective bedding) seeping moisture into an unvented (ie encapsulated) piece of non rot-resistant wood.
Craig
Is it true, that the wood used, even in an 03. Isnt rot resistant? If its plywood composit as someone said, wouldnt it be marine grade, rot resistant? Splitting hairs here. I dont know, just asking. It would surprise me thou, which is not a new thing...:-) Any water in the stringers is not a good thing. But being a sporting man, would take that bet that an 03 would be just fine. What is the actual procedure to test the status of stringers? Drilling a core sample??

Chili 18
04-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't go that far to say they'll take anything. They definatly have limits.

Again, being a sporting man... Id bet that one would be throwen from his seat before physical dammage occured on a newer "classic" hull. Not talking about hitting rocks or sandbars or breaking an outdrive... Just good clean hi performance driving. Ive been out in some nice long rollers after a serious storm. The 18 just loves to fly, and lands solidly. No buz or bad vibrations. These things were designed to not let a competent pilot down when the going gets tuff. Of course, yes, anything has its "limits". :garfield: But these are among the very best...

gold-n-rod
04-28-2005, 01:41 PM
But being a sporting man, would take that bet that an 03 would be just fine.

Chili: I am not doubting the condition at present is fine. I plan to keep this boat until I am too old or feeble to boat. I was hoping that a boat made with foam (glass encapsulated) composite stringers, vs. plywood ones would last forever without me needing to worry about ever replacing them.

As far as whether the plywood is treated or not is not commonly known. It seems like it ought to be, but who knows? <shrug>

Ranman
04-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Again, being a sporting man... Id bet that one would be throwen from his seat before physical dammage occured on a newer "classic" hull. Not talking about hitting rocks or sandbars or breaking an outdrive... Just good clean hi performance driving. Ive been out in some nice long rollers after a serious storm. The 18 just loves to fly, and lands solidly. No buz or bad vibrations. These things were designed to not let a competent pilot down when the going gets tuff. Of course, yes, anything has its "limits". :garfield: But these are among the very best...

Let's just say that as an owner of an 18, there are certain aspects of Donzi's construction I feel could be improved. I don't have much to compare it to, so maybe it's as good as you get. They could do better though. Bottom line is, if you run it hard, it will come apart. I'm not suggesting that you don't already, but if you'd like to know what my definition of running hard is, come on over to Lake St. Clair on a breezy day and we'll head out. A bit of an exaggeration, but that lake will shake me up so much I piss blood. It'll make 22 owners want to sell for a bigger boat. Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

Chili 18
04-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Let's just say that as an owner of an 18, there are certain aspects of Donzi's construction I feel could be improved. I don't have much to compare it to, so maybe it's as good as you get. They could do better though. Bottom line is, if you run it hard, it will come apart. I'm not suggesting that you don't already, but if you'd like to know what my definition of running hard is, come on over to Lake St. Clair on a breezy day and we'll head out. A bit of an exaggeration, but that lake will shake me up so much I piss blood. It'll make 22 owners want to sell for a bigger boat. Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

Actually, I'd like to try Lk St. Clair. I have a pal in Detroit who works for the Det. News. Have been meaning to head up and visit sometime... It's difficult for me to travel at this time... But Ill PM you if that happens. Would be fun... cheers

blackhawk
04-28-2005, 01:56 PM

Randy, how big is Lake St. Clair? When it gets rough do you get rollers or chop?

And I think if you run anything hard enough, it will come apart. Which is why I always carry a phillips screwdriver with me! :D

Chili 18
04-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Chili: I am not doubting the condition at present is fine. I plan to keep this boat until I am too old or feeble to boat. I was hoping that a boat made with foam (glass encapsulated) composite stringers, vs. plywood ones would last forever without me needing to worry about ever replacing them.

As far as whether the plywood is treated or not is not commonly known. It seems like it ought to be, but who knows? <shrug>

I think a big factor would be if you plan to keep it in the water, or dry. If its dry... My guess is you would have it to pass on to your next of kin... Hopefully long long long from today. Its a Donzi Classic. Do you love them? Have you always wanted one?? I have...

Best wishes! :-)

JimG
04-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Let's just say that as an owner of an 18, there are certain aspects of Donzi's construction I feel could be improved. I don't have much to compare it to, so maybe it's as good as you get. They could do better though. Bottom line is, if you run it hard, it will come apart.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

roadtrip se
04-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Composite stringers are nice to have over marine grade plywood ones. Yes, I would agree. Should it be a deal breaker, if you can't get them in a Classic? No, I wouldn't agree.

Some of the other posts here have really hit the issue on the head. It's about the total build quality of the boat, how it's used, and how it's maintained. I've owned Chaparrals, Fountains, Donzis, and rubber rafts. There were things about each boats build quality that I really liked and some things I didn't.

I've literally changed everything that I can on the Classic to my tastes in quality and asthetics. Some things, I really can't do anything about, so I live with them. Yes, the conditions that we run in here can shake things apart and even bust'em up. So we clean everything up, fix and maintain, and go do it again.

Yes, you can get composite stringer systems in a Formula for example, but they don't build a Classic-style boat. And I bet if you talk to a Formula guy with his fancy composite stringer system, he'll tell you about the stuff that he has broken, fixed, and maintained on his pride and joy.

From my view, it's all part of owning a boat, especially a high performance boat.

Go buy that Classic!

Todd

JimG
04-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Give me a wood stringer system every time. My boat is 35 years old, and still solid as a rock.

BUIZILLA
04-28-2005, 06:41 PM
If it wasn't for wooden stringers, Columbus would never have discovered the New World...

JH

John W
04-28-2005, 06:53 PM
My 2004 had a composit transom and Poly tank, I do not know about the stringers though.
JW

Ranman
04-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Actually, I'd like to try Lk St. Clair. I have a pal in Detroit who works for the Det. News. Have been meaning to head up and visit sometime... It's difficult for me to travel at this time... But Ill PM you if that happens. Would be fun... cheers

PM me any time. we're out there quite a bit as well as several other MADCOW's. You're welcome anytime.

BH,

When you say how big is St. Clair do you mean size or size of waves? Anyway, the lake is like 26mi x 24mi or something like that. It is a shallow lake with lots of traffic. While I launch on one side of the lake I primarily cruise across to the channel system which is a bit more protected. Also, out in the lake, I usually stay in the Anchor bay area which is the best "protected" area of the lake. As for wave size, Anchor bay on an average day will throw you a very confused 1' - 2' chop that comes at you from all directions. Windy days are 2' - 3' with a 4 footer here and there. Throw in cruiser wakes and 0 rhythem to the whole mix and you have a lot on your hands to deal with. There are times where you cannot get across Anchor bay and into the channels without being completely soaked from the waves and spray coming over the bow into your face. There are times where I can't even get the boat up on plane safely (this is the exception). I understand Lake Erie etc, have bigger waves, but little St. Clair can be brutal. On the other side of the coin, there are days I can run 60+mph on glass all the way to the Detroit River (20 mi or so).

Anyway, it's not the size of the waves, its the way the chop comes at you from all directions thrown in with wind and huge cruiser wakes.. Many Classic owners like to see if they can jump the whole boat, prop and all out of the water. Some days on St. Clair, it's literally a challenge to keep the prop IN the water.

Like I said before, I don't have anything to compare my Classic to so maybe what I have holds up better than anything else available. I love the boat, but that lake pushes it's limits.

blackhawk
04-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Randy, I guess I was asking both how big the actual lake was and how big the waves get. And I agree, it's not the size of the waves, but the spacing and rythem! My BH hated the washing machines!!!

Isn't that little gathering, the jobbienooner, down in your area?

Ranman
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Randy, I guess I was asking both how big the actual lake was and how big the waves get. And I agree, it's not the size of the waves, but the spacing and rythem! My BH hated the washing machines!!!

Isn't that little gathering, the jobbienooner, down in your area?

If you call 3000-5000 boats little, then yes. :party: :party:

blackhawk
04-29-2005, 12:35 PM
If you call 3000-5000 boats little, then yes. :party: :party:

3000-5000, that's a good start! ;)

Yeah, I've heard it's crazy. Seen lots of pics. Maybe I'll head down there this year!