PDA

View Full Version : OMC Cobra Questions

onesubdrvr
04-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Cobra outdrive, 1.68:1 Ratio,.....
What's the max HP?

Is the housing the same for the King Cobra gear set?

Is the gimble / transom assy the same Cobra / King Cobra?

HP limits on King Cobra unit?

Thanks alot fellas
Wayne - never satisfied

MOP
04-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Wayne the standard Cobra is a bit stronger than an Alpha, I would say that it would be fine up to 400 +. The kings came in two flavors, the early one just had beefed up innards in the standard cobra housing. They were just OK if not hammered, the REAL king has a beefier transom shield and the high hump on top this drive was a mixture of Volvo & OMC ideas, it has and is still proving to be a very strong drive. Most drives will give good service if not hole shotted to much and not spun up to high. I have always felt drives with gearing 1.5 or under are stronger due to more gear contact surface, another plus to low gearing is being able to use lower pitched props. Lower pitched props do not make single engine boats as squirrelly or roll up as high in turns as much as high pitched props.

Phil

Dr. Dan
04-25-2005, 09:08 AM
:smash: Rick Ryan and the original Genuine Risk 18 BBC had a King Cobra...(now owned by Blackie in Michigan)... I have always been told the Kings were very solid...although unqualified...they have claimed pretty stout reliability up to 650 horses....because of the Beef. No idea if this is correct...I don't hammer my boat at all....if anything I handle it with more respect now than ever....even though it has an undisclosed amount of Healthy Horsepower!

I like the stability of the King...a guy I know has a much more expensive upgraded Bravo on his HP 500 EFI boat... and he claims mine is right with his...imagine that..."Fear the Rooster!" All I know is it works, runs well and is a solid performer...I keep it serviced also.

Doc :spongebob

MOP
04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Doctor Dan is living proof of the King being just that "King" and the Donzi Nets personal!

onesubdrvr
04-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Wayne the standard Cobra is a bit stronger than an Alpha, I would say that it would be fine up to 400 +. The kings came in two flavors, the early one just had beefed up innards in the standard cobra housing. They were just OK if not hammered, the REAL king has a beefier transom shield and the high hump on top this drive was a mixture of Volvo & OMC ideas, it has and is still proving to be a very strong drive. Most drives will give good service if not hole shotted to much and not spun up to high. I have always felt drives with gearing 1.5 or under are stronger due to more gear contact surface, another plus to low gearing is being able to use lower pitched props. Lower pitched props do not make single engine boats as squirrelly or roll up as high in turns as much as high pitched props.

Phil
Phil,
I'm not trying to be funny, but that 400, would that be Crank, or Prop? Can I add 50hp or 80?
2nd, Would changing the gears change the HP I could apply (if I did a gear swap)? and would that help with the speed?
3rd - I'm still shopping :wink:

MOP
04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Wayne I doubt if 400 at either end will make much difference, what will is how you treat it. That really goes for all drives, they will go the distance if cared for. I would not ski or hole shot with that HP.

Phil

BLACKIE
04-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Thought you guys might be interested in seeing photos of the KC drive on "Nervous Energy". It's been a really reliable drive. I service it every year with new drive oil & grease and this year I put in a new water pump and universal joints. It's a 1.43 ratio and it handles my BBC with 420 hp just fine.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36815

I've attached a photo of the lower part of the drive and a link to some photos I posted to a previous post.

RedDog
04-27-2005, 06:02 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36815

I've attached a photo of the lower part of the drive and a link to some photos I posted to a previous post.
Now that is a cool boat... :biggrin: