PDA

View Full Version : Help...Blown 460

Ron
04-24-2005, 07:35 PM
:embarasse OK, I just blew the bottom end out of my 460. Many holes in oil pan, etc. Does anyone have any contacts on the West coast for a new engine?

I am thinking that as long as the motor needs replacing that I may want to bump the HP a little. Any thoughts on this? Can a regular car 460 work with my manifolds, etc? I have almost no experience with Fords. Can a 454 Chevy bolt to my King Cobra outdrive? (I know I would need all bolt on pieces and it would be spendier but would probably be best in the long run.) This would be my preference if it will work.

MOP
04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Sure can real easy swap, need the chevy bell housing and mounts. A ton more high perf around for Chevy.

Phil

Brian Main
05-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about your engine. From what I remember, the 460 marine engine is based on a Ford industrial engine. You'll see in the part numbers that there is a "J" in the third position denoting industrial. Another member here had one in an 1988 22' classic with a king cobra drive it was an awesome boat.

We were just discussing what parts made up the engine. The intake is basically a left over cobra jet casting with large ports. Unfortunately, the head were of a newer design with smaller ports but they did have hardened seats. We couldn't remember what made up the bottom end but we both seem to agree that it did have beefier rods that the average passenger car engine.

The 460 can make power and the parts are available, the selection isn't quite what it is for the chevy.

I hope the other Brian will chime in with his recollections. He ended up going through it after it burned a piston.

Of course all that said, I am running a 91 OMC 454HO in my 22' classic. And I am happy with it.

Best of luck with it.
Brian.

b.guggenmos
05-04-2005, 09:19 PM
460's are great engines. Excellent for a boat. Unusual that it blew up. Any idea what happened or why? I had an 88 Classic 22 Testarossa with the 460 and King Cobra drive. I did score a piston and cylinder wall but that was after a 2 1/2 hour race from Olympia Wa to the San Juan Islands. Pretty much wide open the whole time. Came in 4th and we were the smallest boat.Took the engine out and .030 cleaned it up. New pistons, balanced and all the usual stuff and it was back in the water. Did not have GPS then so I don't know exact speed but it pulled a 14 1/2x 24 Raker prop. I did a quick Google search and came up with some 460 marine engines for sale. None in the NW but I did not look that hard. They are out there. One I saw was complete, rebuilt with all marine gear and ready to install. You can do plenty to them for more power as with the Chevy. Both engines need the most help with the exhaust. If it can't get out it can't get in. There are more parts to pick from for a Chevy but there is also a lot of Ford stuff out there. Around here the best Ford only machine shop is Bliss Performance in Puyullup, Wa. His name is Dave Bliss and he knows his stuff and if you want more power it is just a matter of how much you want $$. He did a balance and blueprint on twin 460's out of a Donzi Z33 Black Widow for a boat I worked on. Not really any speed increase but man was it ever smooth.Maybe you could purchase a short block and use your heads and all the other stuff if not damaged. I think if you swap over you will be agravated at all the stuff you will have to change. Just my opinions. To bad you can't make Lake Chelan. Good luck, Brian

BUIZILLA
05-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Be SURE you get the correct timing set ,and NOT the one that rolls the cam back several degree's...

JH

Ed Donnelly
05-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Drew Marine(Shotgun exhausts) are big on marine fords. Try them....Ed

Ron
05-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I contracted Pacific Power Boats in Portland Oregon to build me a new engine. I am sticking with the 460. They are taking the HP up a bit, somewhere around 400 ponies. :rlol: Still trying to not break the bank. I can go back to it for more HP next winter when time is on my side.

Still don't know what exactly happened. I had it in the shop getting a new tune, oil change, etc. just a few weeks back. Even did compression tests.
Everything appeared fine. I propped it up a little and the engine seemed to lag so went back to original prop but the motor still seemed to lag a little on power when I came up on plane. Was running about 3500 RPM's and about 40 MPH when without any warning she went bang and was dead. No prior drop in oil pressure, temp was fine, not even a rattle. When it went it put several holes in the oil pan and buckled the oil pan in two rods back.

Will do a little autopsy when engine is out of the boat. Don't want it to happen again. It will be interesting to see happened inside. It may have pulled some water in via a head gasket or manifold and hammered the piston from the top.

Rootsy
05-06-2005, 08:41 PM
bummer, if you were closer, i have a complete 460 sitting in the corner of the barn needing a new home...

JR

Ron
05-09-2005, 08:40 PM
A week ago I would have driven over to pick it up. I am trying to get it up and running in time for the PNW Lake Chelan gathering.

The hard part is I work in Sunnyside Washington and live West of Portland Oregon and the boat is getting it's work done in Portland. Hard to sit this far away and hope they treat her right.

b.guggenmos
05-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Do whatever it takes! You won't regret it. Brian

Cuda
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I think Mr Wa-Lo is our resident BBF expert on here. I've never in my life heard a meaner sounding engine.

bosshoss
02-22-2006, 07:33 PM
There is a 460 marine crate engine on ebay right now.

Trueser
02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
ROOTSY,
Why not ship it?

He could have it in 3-5 days.

Rob
02-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I thought WA-LO had a supercharged 427 in his Hornet. That's a completely different engine than the 429/460 family. 429/460 is newer design, canted valves, oval ports--a lot like a BBC actually.

The 429/460 is a really strong engine, especially the lower end. I'm really surprised it let go without any warning.

High performance parts are plentiful for this engine. Maybe a little more expensive than a BBC, but not much. I think they are a great platform to build on personally. Quite a few years ago I put one together with SCJ heads and intake and an SCJ hydraulic cam for a 56 Ford pickup. That thing was a tire burnin son of a gun.

MOP
02-26-2006, 01:17 PM
:embarasse OK, I just blew the bottom end out of my 460. Many holes in oil pan, etc. Does anyone have any contacts on the West coast for a new engine?

I am thinking that as long as the motor needs replacing that I may want to bump the HP a little. Any thoughts on this? Can a regular car 460 work with my manifolds, etc? I have almost no experience with Fords. Can a 454 Chevy bolt to my King Cobra outdrive? (I know I would need all bolt on pieces and it would be spendier but would probably be best in the long run.) This would be my preference if it will work.

There is a Chevy/Cobra bell housing on Ebay right now! Chevy may be your best best with tons of parts and engines.

Phil

RedDog
02-26-2006, 05:31 PM
I thought WA-LO had a supercharged 427 in his Hornet. That's a completely different engine than the 429/460 family. 429/460 is newer design, canted valves, oval ports--a lot like a BBC actually.
The 429/460 is a really strong engine, especially the lower end. I'm really surprised it let go without any warning.
High performance parts are plentiful for this engine. Maybe a little more expensive than a BBC, but not much. I think they are a great platform to build on personally. Quite a few years ago I put one together with SCJ heads and intake and an SCJ hydraulic cam for a 56 Ford pickup. That thing was a tire burnin son of a gun.

I don't know what WA-LO was built from but I thought she had way over 500 cubes????

Cuda
02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't remember what size John told me, but I know he had to use Chevy pistons.

Cuda
02-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Though I'm a Ford guy, I'd have swapped to a BBC. Just so much easier and cheaper to get parts for in the marine world.

J&K SHAHBAS
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
My hornet is 565 Ci. based on a SVO ford block that can be bored to 600 ci.
I have about 200 care free hours on it what I liked most of all
are the Blue Thunder aluminum heads they have a chevy bolt
pattern witch makes Headers easy to come by. You will need
to pay a heavy ford tax with any ford combo but they make
awsome power.If you need anything specific please call or email
me. jhstri@aol.com or cell 858-518-2527 John