PDA

View Full Version : suggest a laptop/notebook.....

gold-n-rod
04-23-2005, 09:06 AM
I suppose this should go in the computer tech section, but not everyone reads there.

I just got a great new position in my organization. One of the "prizes" that comes with my new job is that I get to spec out a new laptop/notebook. I'm interested in your opinions.

Presently, I have a Gateway 9300. It's reasonably fast, but heavier than a tank. It's also running W2K which I am looking forward to junking. Plus it pumps out enough heat to warm a small house!

I tote it around a lot, to meetings and home from the office every night. I use it for composing and showing PowerPoint presentations, web surfing, word processing, some Excel, keeping Quickbooks, etc.

These things are important to me:
1. Nice, clear, easy to view display
2. full-sized keyboard
3. Ease of portability
4. Cool running
5. Reliable
6. Reasonably fast (I'm not a gamer)
7. possibly wireless capable (although my new phone will access the internet and get my email, so this might be overkill).

So, do I need to stay with the more "traditional" laptop or am I a good candidate for the newer slimmer lightweights?

I'm not especially brand loyal. I just bought my wife one of those "$750 off" Dell laptops, I have this Gateway (actually spec'd out for me by someone I work with before I arrived at the current job) and once bought 55 cheapie Dells for a project I was directing. I wouldn't describe myself as a Mac guy, but hey, I'm willing to adapt if there's a real benefit.

I'd sure appreciate your input.

gcarter
04-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I work with my Dell Latitude, and I can say it's tough and reasonably fast. It can do anything my home desktop can. It's also four years old. Dell service has been excellent.
If I were buying a new one, wireless is built in. Dell has moved the CD drive to the left side so you can run two batteries AND use the drive, I have to swap a battery for the drive on my current one. With two batteries, it will operate eight hours. I'm in sales/management and I use demo materials resident on the laptop. Long running time is IMPORTANT to me.
I use a docking station with a 20" monitor on top, wireless keyboard and mouse at my office, so I'm useing the same computer all the time.
Also I keep very large amounts of records on the computer as I work everywhere, I've never been disappointed with this computer. There has never been a time I wished it had some feature it didn't have.
I'm about to pass this one along to a salesman and I'm definately going to replace it with with the current model, with a 60 gig HD, one gig memory.
I love my Latitude C610. :smile:

gcarter
04-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh yeah, the monitor is nice, I've never had a problem except in bright sunshine,

MOP
04-23-2005, 01:14 PM
We just got Michael a Toshiba at Circuit City fast, full sized key board and very good price plus a $150.00 rebate. Turned out to be a dynamite deal!

Phil

RedDog
04-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I use a Toshiba daily and like it a lot - got it at Circuit City.

fast, lots of RAM, lots of disk space, DVD burner (great for backups), and wireless.

Wireless is not overkill - you will find it to be essential when on travel. Also, will give you a great excuse to set up a wireless network at home. Nothing like browsing the DonziNet from anywhere in the house or backyard :)

Mac
04-23-2005, 01:32 PM
I used to buy 99% Dell up until about a year ago. The main reason for going with Dell was decent product, good support and a good value. IBM laptops have always been more expensive for the same specs so I always bought Dell unless it was for an executive and then I would buy IBM, the IBMs are definetly better designed and stronger built. About a year ago IBM started being more competive price wise with Dell and now you can get the same spec for the same price, sometimes even less. I have bought about 70 IBMs in the last year, the three models I buy are T42s, which are high end, light wieght, thin and all the features, R51s, middle of the road, heavier, thicker, but 15" screens so they are good desktop replacements, and lastly X40s, super thin, super light, not as many features, not for the power user, for the executive.
The IBMs are holding up very well so far, much lower problem rate than Dells of the same age.
Laptops have a useful life of about 3 years, I always get the 3 year, next bussiness day on site warrantee, this I think is the best value for the money. Once it is out of warrantee it is not worth owning, the display alone can cost $600 if it goes out.
I usually get between 15% to 30% off of list on the IBM laptops depending on model and where it is in it's life cycle, these discounts are higher than the average 1 or 2 machine purchase but there is a pretty good amount of play in the price. I have got my best pricing from places like Insight and CDW, better than IBM direct.

gcarter
04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Wireless is good. I've been traveling some lately and every airport I went to had wireless networks. Not to mention most hotels.
Browse waiting for planes
Browse in your hotel room
Browse by the pool
Browse in the restaurant
Browse in those seminars
Browse in business meetings
Browse at breakfast as a means to ignore what your wife is saying.....

gcarter
04-23-2005, 01:39 PM
I used to buy 99% Dell up until about a year ago. The main reason for going with Dell was decent product, good support and a good value. IBM laptops have always been more expensive for the same specs so I always bought Dell unless it was for an executive and then I would buy IBM, the IBMs are definetly better designed and stronger built. About a year ago IBM started being more competive price wise with Dell and now you can get the same spec for the same price, sometimes even less. I have bought about 70 IBMs in the last year, the three models I buy are T42s, which are high end, light wieght, thin and all the features, R51s, middle of the road, heavier, thicker, but 15" screens so they are good desktop replacements, and lastly X40s, super thin, super light, not as many features, not for the power user, for the executive.
The IBMs are holding up very well so far, much lower problem rate than Dells of the same age.
Laptops have a useful life of about 3 years, I always get the 3 year, next bussiness day on site warrantee, this I think is the best value for the money. Once it is out of warrantee it is not worth owning, the display alone can cost $600 if it goes out.
I usually get between 15% to 30% off of list on the IBM laptops depending on model and where it is in it's life cycle, these discounts are higher than the average 1 or 2 machine purchase but there is a pretty good amount of play in the price. I have got my best pricing from places like Insight and CDW, better than IBM direct.

But IBM laptops are now owned by the Chinese??????

Trueser
04-23-2005, 02:19 PM
George,
Only 49% is owned by them. The rest is still held by IBM, NOt sure if that matters, but everything is made over there anyway. 100% of Dell is overseas.

I repair laptops all day long. Go with a IBM...

Mike

springs
04-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I've had four toshiba's over the last seven years and I have no complaints. Fast, user friendly and very durable. My company recently went to IBM and I'm not that impressed. The docking station and flat screen are nice though.

Dr. Dan
04-23-2005, 04:41 PM
:wavey: Our company issued our Sales Staff Dell Lattitudes 3 years ago...I just got a newer one...a 100L, no idea about its ability or capacity...but it seems very quick and has a very nice key pad. We have a huge Sales Force...as the largest Flooring Manufacturer in the World.... I am sure the monies saved from mailings and faxes alone pay for these puppies many times over. Now I need to buy stock in a print cartridge Manufacturer.

Doc. :D

dfunde01
04-23-2005, 05:38 PM
I spend a good deal of time on the road and at client sites. I'm using a loaded IBM T42. I have not had a desk top in over 15 years. The ThinkPads are the most durable lap tops out there. Get the 3 year warranty. IBM service is reliable and quick when you need it. They are pretty much the Donzi's of lap tops.

Dave

Rootsy
04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I bought a Dell Inspiron 5150 a little over a year ago... i got the best i could buy but i didn't bother to get wireless so now i have a PCMCIA linksys wireless card hanging out the side so i look like a dope...

I don't play much in the way of games but i do a lot of 3D solid modeling design, drafting, number crunching, etc...

this is my third dell laptop and by far my favorite... in the past i skimped here and there and i was never happy...

this laptop is kind of heavy but is full sized... has an ultra clear screen... name brand components.. and i have not had so much as a hiccup with the OS or the computer... i am a satisfied customer..

I had to send my first dell laptop back a few times for mechanical issues and they went above and beyond in service... but this was when tech support was in the US and actually tried to think for themselves...

things that are important for me...

Video speed and quality...
Computer speed in a multitude of applications
ergonomics
reliability

therefore get as much ram as you can afford... and as much video card as you can afford... Processor speed is nice and all but not truly necessary... take account of what you do with the computer so that you select enough storage...

the one thing i do NOT like about this laptop is that the computer geeks somewhere have come to the conclusion that parallel and serial ports are no longer required... well boys... THEY ARE... i had to ditch my nice HP Laserjet and go to a cheap ole inkjet due to lack of USB for the 1100SE and i don't want to spend 200 bucks on a print router, blah blah blah... kind of a PITA to upload new maps to my GPS and to download and upload to my palm pilot without a damn Serial port...

JR

gcarter
04-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Jamie, DOCKING STATION !!!!!! :hyper:

DonCig
04-23-2005, 11:09 PM
14 years using IBM Thikpads and no regrets, other than price.
But come to think of it, Donzis are not cheap to buy either.
Enough said.

DonCig

Trueser
04-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Laptops are not for games.

if you game you need a desktop......

txtaz
04-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Jamie, DOCKING STATION !!!!!! :hyper:

Jamie, USB to LPT (DB 25)

I use a Toshiba. I never wanted a laptop but had to have one for work. I am surprised how much I have learned to like it. I use it more than my desktop (read room heater). I have the wireless option which is great.
The only suggestion I have is get a Intel P4 chip. Chip size in laptops matter due to heat generated. Smaller chips will fry faster.
Wes