PDA

View Full Version : new engine

smokediver
04-23-2005, 06:20 AM
I bought a new mercruiser 5.7 carbed model in miami yesterday . I went with merc for the warranty and not being a mechanic , should be an easier install . I read an article in trailer boat mag . they tested this engine stock and then converted to a 4 bbl intake / carb setup . It added 5.5 mph and cruise speed went up by 6 mph . these numbers were verified by radar . so my question is .. does anyone have a part# for an aluminium manifold with bronze inserts ? By the way , miami marine specialties was a pleasure to deal with .

MOP
04-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Opinion put fresh water cooling on it, you gain a little power and it will be worth more when you do decide to sell.

Phil

blackhawk
04-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Ummmm, wouldnt that void the warranty?

MOP
04-23-2005, 08:17 AM
We have installed OEM and after market systems for years it has never effected any warranty, it is better for the engine. It reduces block water pressure in turn reducing head and other gasket failures, helps to eliminate moisture build up inside the engine which contaminates the oil causing acids to form which lead to other problems down the road. The benefits out weigh the cost involved.

Rootsy
04-23-2005, 08:46 AM
yes blackhawk, i believe you are correct... swapping her to a 4V would toss the warranty right out the window...

i did the 4V thing on my 350... from a 2V... significant performance improvement...

smokediver
04-23-2005, 09:38 AM
thanks for the comments ... i plan on getting the motor broken in and using it as is for a while to see if there are going to be any issues before changing the intake as the warranty will be void . Rootsy , do you have a part # for the intake you used ? thanks in advance ... I will post some pics of the swap in case anyone is interested in the V-6 to V-8 swap ...It's gonna take a little time ! I did get a new upper for my outdrive . I went with the 1.62 as I noticed randy has that ratio and has great performance . I also got a new trim pump and assy and am going to mount like donzigo did his . The bilge is gonna be cleaned and painted and I may even paint the engine in the new Vibrance red that PPG is offering , A tri-coat color ... Air22 would dig that ! Oh , one more question .... Rootsy , how did the GLM manifolds work for you ? I would like to lose a little weight off the motor to get it back to the V-6 numbers ..about a 100 pounds ...

blackhawk
04-23-2005, 11:33 AM
We have installed OEM and after market systems for years it has never effected any warranty, it is better for the engine. It reduces block water pressure in turn reducing head and other gasket failures, helps to eliminate moisture build up inside the engine which contaminates the oil causing acids to form which lead to other problems down the road. The benefits out weigh the cost involved.

Phil, I was talking about the intake/carb swap, not the closed cooling. Sorry for the confusion.

smokediver
04-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Smoke,
Whats the status of the 4.3????
It is fine ... well ... it needs new manifolds/risers .. it has been well maintained and has around 300 hours . I just wanted a V-8 . I am going to keep the carb and the shift plate , other than that it is a great motor . I was gonna let crackerjack steal it if he is still in need of an engine for his 16 .

Rootsy
04-23-2005, 06:28 PM
i used a performer intake when i did my swap and a holley... you are going to have vortec cylinder heads where as i had the old style port and bolt configuration. you'll need an intake manifold that mates to the vortec intake ports and bolt pattern.... as for carb... the edelbrock carter AFB styles work well out of the box... if you want to spend more coin and have more readily accessible tuning look into the BG stuff...

glm manifolds were decent pieces for the price.. some porosity on the castings but they are a lot lighter and have some improved runner seperation... if they helped the motor breathe or not i have no idea... but the weight loss helped the boats stability somewhat...

BUIZILLA
04-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I think that particular V6 needs to become a Registry Project engine :biggrin: :yes: :cool:

Cuda
04-23-2005, 11:48 PM
An intake with brass inserts is damn hard to find for the Vortec, although I know somebody makes them. I was thinking of going with a vortec engine in the my Minx, until I found out I couldn't find an insert manifold, or a cast iron one. Like I said, there is one because I saw an engine on ebay that had the insert manifold. I emailed the guy to find where to buy them, he wouldn't tell me, but he said he'd sell me one. I went with non vortec.