PDA

View Full Version : 22 zx 03 350 MPI SC

LKSD
04-22-2005, 08:32 PM
A 22zx we supercharged...

blackhawk
04-22-2005, 09:13 PM
JW, did you keep the internals of the motor stock?

LKSD
04-22-2005, 10:04 PM
JW, did you keep the internals of the motor stock?

Sorry,
Yes we did.. I ran low boost around 4- 4.5 lbs to keep it safe, it also is set up witha cooler t stat and an air to water intercooler from a bigblock to keep the charge cool. Boat went from 58/60 to about 78mph.. I like the new set up for the 350 mpi, its a great platform its just a little more intricate to work with with perf stuff than the older ones. The nice thing is you can get the power of a big block thats hopped up a little but you dont have the weight of it.. If anyone is interested in doing this to thiers or wants it done feel free to give me a call at the shop.. :cool!:

blackhawk
04-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks.

Well I was considering supercharging my VP 5.7 Gi, but I talked myself out of it and decided to go with a different motor altogether. But, my new motor may need a supercharger someday! :D

So, I was just curious if you left the internals stock. I figured 4-5lbs boost would be max as well.

blackhawk
04-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Damn, I just read that speed increase! Very impressive. You must be at least 430 hp or so now?

LKSD
04-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Damn, I just read that speed increase! Very impressive. You must be at least 430 hp or so now?

Yes, my client is definitley happy...

jonnyrottn
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Hello JW, I'm new to the registry, saw the pictures of the 22ZX and signed up! I'm looking at installing a pro charger on my 2001 22zx w/6.2 MX MPI, had a couple questions - it looks like you had to relocate the alternator to make room for the procharger - did the kit come with the necessary brackets and serpentine belt? I'm also in the process of adding a sea strainer and an oil cooler to prep the engine for the supercharger, did you guys install an oil cooler? I've read that supercharging small blocks really increases oil temp, and whipple recommends this mod for their units. Thanks for any help.

LKSD
05-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Hello JW, I'm new to the registry, saw the pictures of the 22ZX and signed up! I'm looking at installing a pro charger on my 2001 22zx w/6.2 MX MPI, had a couple questions - it looks like you had to relocate the alternator to make room for the procharger - did the kit come with the necessary brackets and serpentine belt? I'm also in the process of adding a sea strainer and an oil cooler to prep the engine for the supercharger, did you guys install an oil cooler? I've read that supercharging small blocks really increases oil temp, and whipple recommends this mod for their units. Thanks for any help.

We didnt add a larger oil cooler, but we did install a cooler thermostat and a larger than std intercooler (air to seawater). yes we did relocate the alternator as well as modifying the bracketry to properly fit. The oil resivoir for the drive was also moved outward & we had made an extension for the wire harness to the gear lube resivoir.. also you may need to go with a different size serpantine belt & a possibly different idler pulley to make the system work properly. we also had to make & install a check valve (venting system) for the map sensor circuit to fake out the ecm under boost. Its a lot of work & know how but definitly worth the end result. Our system was also intercooled. As far as a whipple charger for this model I cant direct you accuratley there yet, as I have been partial to procharger systems & have not pushed whipple installations too much also there was no bolt on unit available from them for this model that they felt comfortable enough to meadle with when we did the job. I also personally feel the procharger is a little easier to configure to some custom applications in my opinion, also I like the Prochargers intercooler systems can be worked for numerous reasons. But thats just my 2 cents.. If you have any other questions or would like us to price out a system for you please feel free to call us.. Jamie / Lakeside Restorations (http://lakesiderestorations.com) 570-639-2628 :moped:

jonnyrottn
05-01-2005, 05:08 PM
We didnt add a larger oil cooler, but we did install a cooler thermostat and a larger than std intercooler (air to seawater). yes we did relocate the alternator as well as modifying the bracketry to properly fit. The oil resivoir for the drive was also moved outward & we had made an extension for the wire harness to the gear lube resivoir.. also you may need to go with a different size serpantine belt & a possibly different idler pulley to make the system work properly. we also had to make & install a check valve (venting system) for the map sensor circuit to fake out the ecm under boost. Its a lot of work & know how but definitly worth the end result. Our system was also intercooled. As far as a whipple charger for this model I cant direct you accuratley there yet, as I have been partial to procharger systems & have not pushed whipple installations too much also there was no bolt on unit available from them for this model that they felt comfortable enough to meadle with when we did the job. I also personally feel the procharger is a little easier to configure to some custom applications in my opinion, also I like the Prochargers intercooler systems can be worked for numerous reasons. But thats just my 2 cents.. If you have any other questions or would like us to price out a system for you please feel free to call us.. Jamie / Lakeside Restorations (http://lakesiderestorations.com/)570-639-2628 :moped:
Thanks for the reply - still trying to decide between the two systems. Working on how to plumb the oil cooler, the 6.2 doesn't have one from the factory, so that's my first project - I installed stainless marine exhaust manifolds and risers, and a Kand N flame arrestor - so I figured the oil cooler would be a good addition. Thanks again

Last Tango
05-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Jonnyrottn,
I have a 2001 Classic 18 with the MX6.2MPI. I have also wanted to add an oil cooler for some time. Oil gets real hot real fast when you are pushing down on the throttle or cruising for long periods above 3500 RPM. I'll be interested to see what you do. I also have a fully polished EMI Thunder exhaust system running straight through the hull through Corsa tips. No other performance mods yet. Best speed to date on the GPS is 72 MPH.
I've been thinking Whipple since Haskell Marine did one on a Z23 Deck Boat last year with a Scorpion motor. Talk about a sleeper! Ran 83 MPH on the radar gun at the Poker Run last week.

gcarter
05-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi LT;
This is how I plumbed in my BBC oil cooler'

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36014&highlight=sea+strainer

It's a Revolution Marine cooler, sell on eBay for about $160.00.

LKSD
05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Jonnyrottn,
I have a 2001 Classic 18 with the MX6.2MPI. I have also wanted to add an oil cooler for some time. Oil gets real hot real fast when you are pushing down on the throttle or cruising for long periods above 3500 RPM. I'll be interested to see what you do. I also have a fully polished EMI Thunder exhaust system running straight through the hull through Corsa tips. No other performance mods yet. Best speed to date on the GPS is 72 MPH.
I've been thinking Whipple since Haskell Marine did one on a Z23 Deck Boat last year with a Scorpion motor. Talk about a sleeper! Ran 83 MPH on the radar gun at the Poker Run last week.

do you have anypics?? It sounds like a neat "sleeper" ?? Jamie

jonnyrottn
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Jonnyrottn,

After talking to Hardin Marine yesterday, I have an idea for the oil cooler, I might replace the power steering cooler mounted above the bell housing with a combo ps/oil cooler - they have a 2" dia. 18" long cooler with 1.25" ends, set up with 3/8" ps input and output and 3/4" oil i/o looks like it might fit. Have to take some better measurements before ordering. This would solve the plumbing/space issue I was having regarding a whole seperate oil cooler. I was having trouble trying to cut in a seperate cooler between the ps cooler and the fuel cooler, not a whole lot of room to make all the necessary bends in the 1.25 water hose. The limitations of the combo cooler might be that it doesn't have the cooling capacity that the seperate cooler would have, could be a factor if I add the supercharger. Also a friend told me to that I should have a thermostat control for the oil cooler because of the varying temps of the lake I run on, I might overcool the oil, have to look at that further. Ordered a sea strainer first- we have a ton of weeds on the lake, and a sand silt bottom where I dock, want to protect the sea water pump.