PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new type of run...

EricG
04-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Like most of us Donzi-ites, I love to do gatherings and poker runs, but with the exception of the runs we put together on this board, everything else local is geard toward bigger go-fasts in bigger water. I thought about trying to put together a small boat poker run on one of the larger lakes (instead of the sound), and then I had another idea.

One of the local Motorcycle groups put on a run every year call the 3-pass-blast. Which is basically a Time-Speed-Distance rally that uses your credit card receipts from set fuel stops to determine your time between each checkpoint. That way, you can acutally sign-up and run the event any time during the summer, and the scores are tabulated at the end of the season.

I was thinking, is there a way to do a similar type event with boats?

Here's what I've got so far;
Set a series of Waypoints on the GPS, give an speed target, and when you reach each waypoint, you take a picture of the coordinates, elapsed time, and distance on your GPS.
The speeds would be set at a reasonable number, as to include several classes of boats, but also a spirited pace. I'm thinking around 50 (mainly because my boat only goes about 55).
When setting it up, I would run it a couple of times to establish the closest thing to an exact time and distance as possible. Then the entrant with closest effort would win.

I figure I could return the entry fee back in prizes, with half going to charity (I really want to do something to support the local Children's Hospital), something like that?

So, if someone in your area (I realize that this would have to be a localized event) put something like this together, would you want to spend a few hours on a nice afternoon chasing coordinates on your GPS?

Heck, maybe something like this already exists...but what do you think?

EG

Surfer
04-25-2005, 08:10 AM
I would love to do a small boat poker run...Florida Keys would be a great place...