PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Boards

Rootsy
04-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Anyone that has done any appreciable surface preperation on large surfaces such as one of our boats... What size flexible sanding boards do you recommend... is a 21 inch big enough? or is a 36 inch a better choice? What 2 or 3 sizes fit most of your needs?

Jamie

Jamesbon
04-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Rootsy,
We used pneumatic Hutchins Hustlers for "smothing" things out. They work great, but plan on having a big "scfm" compressor to keep up with their air requirements, or you'll be sanding a bit and waiting for the compressor to fill the tank again. Link to the Hustler...

http://www.hutchinsmfg.com/products/standard.html

Rootsy
04-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Rootsy,
We used pneumatic Hutchins Hustlers for "smothing" things out. They work great, but plan on having a big "scfm" compressor to keep up with their air requirements, or you'll be sanding a bit and waiting for the compressor to fill the tank again. Link to the Hustler...

http://www.hutchinsmfg.com/products/standard.html

Thanks for the info Nate, I was thinking more along the lines of the flexible Jamie powered ones... such as the adjustable flexible ones available now...

JR

gcarter
04-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Jamie, I bet it has more to do with the amount of area (pitch) and the depth of irregularities.
For instance, I've watched guys fair large hulls and they were using long boards 6' - 8' long.

:smash:

Rootsy
04-23-2005, 08:27 PM
exactly George... what i really want to know is that is a 36" overkill... or will a 21" do just fine... the 36" is a decent chunch of change but i can see where it'd come in handy for the sides and deck... but for my other projects such as cars and tractors i don't think i'd ever use it.... i want things smooth though... and don't want to spend 4 years doing it...

JR

gcarter
04-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Jamie, have you considered making your own from a piece of spruce cut to thickness to give the flexibility you want. Then rubber cement the paper strips onto it. This is essentially what yards do.
My $0.02. :biggrin: