PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab problems.

gcarter
04-21-2005, 04:00 PM
After installing my new Bennett pump from their wonderful exchange program, I haven't been able to get it to work. After calling Bennetts client relations and chasing down a shorted solenoid, (thanks for the new solenoid, Bennnett!). The kind folks at Bennett suggested running wires direct from the battery to test it, and, indeed, it worked. Now I have run a new 20' long Bennett wiring harness (thanks again) from the pump to the switch, a #8 wire direct from the battery switch to the tab switch fuse, and it still will not run. The solenoids engage, but the pump will not run. If I hold the switch down for more than five or ten seconds, the fuse will blow.
The pump is grounded through the trim pump ground, as it's only about a foot away. The trim pump works fine. It sounds like voltage drop, but I can't figure out where. The only other thing I can think to do is to run a #8 wire ground direct to the battery.
Any ideas? :(

MOP
04-21-2005, 04:55 PM
George I have seen brandy new ones stick, once loose the keep going. take it loose from the mount, remove the plastic cover then get a rubber mallet tap it a few times on the end cap for the motor and give it a try, sometimes you need to hit it while it is being energized.

Phil

gcarter
04-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Phil, if you read it again, you'll see I can get it to run by attaching leads directly to the battery. I can't get the pump to run on the wiring harness.

MOP
04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
OK George as per our conversation I re read it, one of these days I will re read automaticly LLOOLL

MOP

DickB
04-21-2005, 08:59 PM
I agree with you, it sounds like a voltage drop. It may be happening because the pump is drawing too much current - this will happen if the motor is stalled. A voltmeter might help trace down where the voltage drop is occurring, but if the root problem is excessive current draw by the motor that may not help much. An ammeter might verify excessive current. I hate to say it, but I wonder if you got a defective pump motor.

Running the pump directly from the battery for a time might just loosen it up a bit if something is binding.

JimG205
04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
George-Having just installed my rebuilt trim pump with the two solenoids,it can be frustrating-I Know!!! First check continuity with the harness on each wire-I have not had good luck with "new" wire harnesses,next try applying power to each solenoid,one for up,the other down independently.Check that ground-I have noticed that this past winter has spawned corrosion in my bilge.Good luck-Congrats on a great restoration. :eek:

gcarter
04-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, I fixed the problem today!!! :smash: :yippie:
It had to do with the way Ultra Panel Marine wired the two Carling switches they installed in the trim panel they made for me. The way they wired it, the motor was receiving current to run both directions simultaniusly each time a button was pushed. The fuse blew and the motor wouldn't run.
Duhhhhh!
The solution was to use the other side of the switch to reverse the operation of the tab.
I'm a much happier camper.

:wavey:

Formula Jr
04-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Sorry I was too late to answer that one, cause as soon as I read it I Knew that the problem was with the rocker switches. The bennette pump works in a way that isn't very intuitive. It took me two days once trying to figure out how the joystick contacts worked. So just as a reminder to anyone else putting in the dual rocker type switches, you will also need another circuit interrupter available from bennette. The only thing this does is protect the motor from if you are pressing one switch up while at the same time pressing the other switch down. If you are very careful, never to use both switches at the same time, you do not need the interrupter. The joystick is configured in such a way that this combination of contacts can not happen.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/partprice.htm#Interrupter%20Relay