PDA

View Full Version : Real good day!

MOP
04-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Today's goal was to get the engine back in since I was done with bilge glass work, so off to my buddies :moped: to put the engine back in the Blue Beast, all went well except fighting the riser hoses :smash: . I had decided to leave the risers on being they were only bolted up about a week ago well that made life a bit tougher. Any way got to setting up the alignment just as another buddy showed up to pitch in, I was glad for that not having to jump in and out to re check it each time. I did have to show him what to do, so he was dutifully pulling it in and out re greasing the tip between each check, all of a sudden he say :cussball: something is wrong or broken he knew something was wrong as the tool just hit something. OK I get out and try for my self, it was so spot on all you could feel was it hitting the tools shoulder hitting :yippie: . So now I think he knows how it is done and what it has to feel like, I :wrench: the mounts and re checked was perfect. He said what is next, I thought for a minute and knowing it would be rainy for several day starting tonight. I told him the FOAM FAIRY had delivered my foam so let do the tank, he said I will see you in 20 minutes. OK back at my place I get it setup to start the job and my neighbor stops over with a 6 pack and decided he wants to help. Mean time Harry my other buddy comes and he has a 6 pack, so after two six packs :beer: we started the evil foam process. I had the tank full and blocked no chance of any movement, I did my usual small pours one coffee cup at a time. It was over 80 degrees the stuff lit off nice and quick, but even with the small pours it got a tad out of hand in a couple of places, doubt like hell if the beer had anything to do with it LoL. Any way the tank is now very much a part of the boat, on to trim/clean up time. Clean up was interesting, I think I was a little bent as I managed to suck the plastic putty knife into the shop vac not once not twice but three times :shocking: . About that time both of my Buds split and left me to my misery of trimming and cleaning, all turned out super now that was a good day!

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Phil,

Sounds sweet,

I don't socialize much around here, and as I work remote from my employers office, I don't socialize much with my associates either. When I did my work, the ONLY thing I had help with (other than the mass amounts of input here), was my father in law lowering the engine hoist to set the engine down while I was in the boat ensuring alignment. Yup, that's it. The outdrive - by myself, everything else solo, kinda sucked,... :confused: .

ANYWAY, CONGRATS ON A GREAT DAY,... can't wait to see it done (although we'll have to wait for film developing, most places do it same day now and EVEN offer a CD-ROM with the images on it (saves scan time)) LoL

Once again, congrats on a good day,
Wayne

Dr. Dan
04-20-2005, 08:58 PM
:wavey: We should turn this into a Mini-Series, Desperate Donzi Owners...tune in nightly to find the latest developments, Fins, Tanks, Drives, Feathers and Fairy's ...you name its all been tried or disproven here!

Included but not limited to most common laws of Physics.... :smash:

Phil that thing better float...I am driving over 6 hours to see this creation...I'll be pissed if it sinks before I get there...so don't do anything drastic...like launch it before we all arrive to watch the Maiden Voyage!

I will bring beverages! And Popcorn!

Doc of Curiosity :wavey:

MOP
04-20-2005, 09:19 PM
By the time July comes I will have some time on it and hopefully have the bugs worked out or a Bravo hanging off the back, add 4 to your 6 the Blue Beast will be there again!

gcarter
04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Phil, don't let the good Doctor of Derision get you down!!!!
I know what it's like to wonder if it's going to float. Don't loose sleep like I did.
It sounds like you had a good day. And I too know what it's like to work alone.
Alum. tank..............check!
Foam.....................Check!
Weenie bars............check!
Powder coated rail...check!

MOP
04-20-2005, 09:34 PM
George we who do our own projects, the figuring the putzing etc just makes us feel good. I know you know what I mean, anyone one can drop green stamps but where is the pride in that?!

Phil

Dr. Dan
04-20-2005, 09:37 PM
:spongebob Nice Pic Phil...don't take me seriously please...I am only kidding you...I hope you know that...

Doc :umbrella:

Cuda
04-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Phil,

Sounds sweet,

I don't socialize much around here, and as I work remote from my employers office, I don't socialize much with my associates either. When I did my work, the ONLY thing I had help with (other than the mass amounts of input here), was my father in law lowering the engine hoist to set the engine down while I was in the boat ensuring alignment. Yup, that's it. The outdrive - by myself, everything else solo, kinda sucked,... :confused: .

ANYWAY, CONGRATS ON A GREAT DAY,... can't wait to see it done (although we'll have to wait for film developing, most places do it same day now and EVEN offer a CD-ROM with the images on it (saves scan time)) LoL

Once again, congrats on a good day,
Wayne

I've met Wayne, what he fails to mention is that he is big enough to hold the engine with one hand, while he lines up the drive. :D

MOP
04-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Darn pic came out to big, need a smart picture person to scale it down. Doc not to worry you haved helped me in the past, the good thoughts are still there. The pros and cons of the experiment are still 50/50, the only thing that bothers me is having Black hanging of the back! Shiver me timbers never though I would stoop so low!

Phil

boxy
04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
the only thing that bothers me is having Black hanging of the back! Shiver me timbers never though I would stoop so low!

Phil

There might as well be at least one current thing on it Phil. How long will it take before you Volvo guys finally give up....... :D

MOP
04-20-2005, 10:28 PM
There might as well be at least one current thing on it Phil. How long will it take before you Volvo guys finally give up.......

Steve I would feel much safer having a snake back there, they don't break. Besides the beast had an Alpha that did hold up, my kid ran it for about 100 hours on his fish boat. When I got the beast running I racked a lot of time on it, as most know that did the 1K run last year I run from dawn till dusk. Honest I did buy mufflers, I think they will be on it!!!!!

I guess I should not beat up on the black annuity drives so bad! But we do have to give Volvo credit there are a bunch out there 20-30 years old and never been apart except for seals no other drive has been able to top that.

Phil

txtaz
04-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Here you go Phil. Let me know if you want it smaller.
I agree with you. I get more pride in something when I do the work myself.
Wes

boxy
04-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I guess I should not beat up on the black annuity drives so bad! But we do have to give Volvo credit there are a bunch out there 20-30 years old and never been apart except for seals no other drive has been able to top that.

Phil

Phil you're right, there are a lot of 30 year old volvo drives still kicking around, there are also a bunch of prehistoric stone wheels collecting dust in Museums somewhere, and you don't see the Formula 1 guys turning laps with them do you....... :D :D :D

If it's on the back, it's going to be black. :lightning :lightning

PS: if you don't have time to get those mufflers installed, just throw them in the boat, we help you out Friday.... :D

penbroke
04-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Sounds like your'e making real good progress! When's the formal launch date?

Frank
Ford/Volvo powered. :eek!:

MOP
04-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Frank I am getting down to the details, that takes the longest. The mounting and hooking up of the exchanger still needs some sorting out, then on to all the normal wiring extra battery ETC. ETC. ETC. I am hoping for ablut 2-3 weeks, some of which depends on the very shallow boat kitty. It is spring and I am a yacht BROKER! Yup broker until I close a couple!