PDA

View Full Version : gimble ring question

p729lws
04-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Is the disc on the center line of the gimble ring the trim limit switch? The two wires coming out of the back of it have lost their insulation and I was wondering if it could be affecting my trim operation. The drive trims fine on the trailer but is slow in the water. :frown:

Dan

MOP
04-19-2005, 07:12 AM
You have two sets of wires, trim gauge and limit I would disconnect them both to play safe, on my 22 the guage wires were fried where they ran along the intake manifold looked like they shorted. You don't need them to operate the trim and the gauges leave a lot to be desired as far as consistant accuracy.

Phil

Pismo
04-19-2005, 08:52 AM
One earmuff is the limit switch and one is the gauge sender. Worn wires would not slow it down, it would either work or not work. Does the gauge work? Does the limit switch still work?

p729lws
04-19-2005, 10:04 AM
One earmuff is the limit switch and one is the gauge sender. Worn wires would not slow it down, it would either work or not work. Does the gauge work? Does the limit switch still work?

The trim limit works properly on the trailer. The trim is slow in the water and the trim switch gets warm while triming. I do not have a gauge that indicates trim position.

Can I bypass the trim limit switch?

Dan

gcarter
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
The trim limit works properly on the trailer. The trim is slow in the water and the trim switch gets warm while triming. I do not have a gauge that indicates trim position.

Can I bypass the trim limit switch?

Dan
Yes you can. You just have to be careful when trimming while running.

p729lws
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
You have two sets of wires, trim gauge and limit I would disconnect them both to play safe, on my 22 the guage wires were fried where they ran along the intake manifold looked like they shorted. You don't need them to operate the trim and the gauges leave a lot to be desired as far as consistant accuracy.

Phil

Phil,

Did you disconnect them at the trim switch or at the transom?

Dan

MOP
04-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Mine were in such bad shape when I bought the boat, rubber melted and bare wires I cut them about 8 inches from the transom. What that switch does is give you a stop before the drive is trimmed to high to possibly damage the U joint assy. Just make sure it is down before you start it up.

Phil

gcarter
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
There are bullet connectors near the trim pump. You can make a short jumper with corresponding connectors to bypass the wires.

p729lws
04-20-2005, 09:23 AM
I disconnected the wiring for the limit switch and the trim gauge and checked to make sure the trim functions still work on the trailer.

Looks like we're going to the offshore powerboat races in Biloxi on Sunday so we'll see how it works in the water.

Thanks for the help guys :wink:

Dan