PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

New2Donzi
04-18-2005, 06:45 PM
I have a barrel back 18 I'm trying to restore. There are not many companies in my area that do this kind of work. I do not have the skill set nor the facility to do this kind of work. I've taken it to 2 places and they have not been very helpful. I've found a guy in Kingston Ontario (2 hours away from me) that is willing to look at it. If this does not pan out I guess i have to sell her as a project or worse yet part it out. The boat needs stringers,transom etc... I guess I just need to figure out what a fully restore barrel back is worth and how much I'm willing to spend. I realize this is very labour intensive and costly work. I been following this board in the background and have learn a lot. Hopefully I will be asking for advise/help in the near future, if I can get this project off the ground. At any rate I just want to say what a great site this is and how knowledgeable and helpful the members are.
Cheers....Ed
P.S can't seem to post any pic -> Technology challenged!!!!

olredalert
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
--------I have a freind here in Michigan that has a completely redone, absolutely bare 1966 barrel-back 3-hatch boat. The hull and deck were redone by a very reputable shop near here in Marysville Mi. Then the owner (from Alaska, believe it or not) abandoned the project and let the shop sell the redone bare hull and deck. The reason I bring all this up is that the "mating" of these two boats might be a good idea. I think my friend might be interested in buying your project boat mostly for all the parts. Hey, its a thought!!! This hull is sweet.............Bill S

boxy
04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Ed, I'm just south of downtown, in Manotick, I'd love to see your 18. There is a marina in the 1000 Islands that may be able to help you.
Give me a shout in the office, 692-3567.

New2Donzi
04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
olredalert,
Thanks for the offer, I'd like to try and bring this one back, but if things don't work out it's nice to know I have options.
Boxy,
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to get it to Kingston this week.

Here the pics....I think....Ed

boxy
04-18-2005, 09:02 PM
I know your boat, I looked at when the last owner had it for sale about 4 years ago....

Rootsy
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Send her over to southeast michigan... i need something to "practice" on... :yes:

Jamie

New2Donzi
04-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Boxy,

Its needs a lot of work, do you think I can save this one??
Cheers...Ed

boxy
04-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Ed, give me a shout at work tomorrow, I'll tell you what I remember about the boat....
Oh yeah, when you call, ask for Steve, if you ask for Boxy she'll just laugh at you .... :D

glashole
04-19-2005, 07:44 AM
You should try the Boat Repair Center in Kingston (if that isn't the one you are already looking at). The owner's name is George Groen and he did a great job on my sweet 16.

Its worth a try 613 545 1676

Shea

New2Donzi
04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Shea,
That who I planned to take it to. I vivited his shop and met with George and was impressed. I'm glad to hear some good feedback about him and his work.
Thx....Ed