PDA

View Full Version : Plexi glass on C22

Trueser
04-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Does anyone know where to get replacement plexi glass for a C22 with the stainless frame?

Thanks
Mike

MOP
04-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Many decent sized glass places can do it for you, trick is finding one that is setup to form it. I would call your locals and see what you come up with, also consider Lexan over Plexi it is far more durable.

Phil

Rodger
04-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Mike,
Did you call Trainor glass located in Alsip? Don't know if they do it but it's a starting point and close. I know they used to work with acrylic and polycarbonate quite a bit back in the 70's. Good luck.

RickSE
04-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Trueser,
Here's a good reference post.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35745

Trueser
04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
I got all I needed from Total Plastics...

great place....

roadtrip se
04-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I noticed another crack in the side glass. Must have been all of that time I spent last summer trying to keep the boat in the water. I wasn't going to dig into this project quite yet, but it bothers me everytime I look at it, so here we go!

Thanks Rick for posting all of your materials and sourcing. Much appreciated!

Todd

blackhawk
04-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Took my old windshield to a local glass place and the made me new ones out of lexan. Don't use plexiglass.

RickSE
04-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Todd,
My original sidepieces cracked from the bottom up because Donzi missed all the predrilled grommet holes. Every screw they put in on the bottom rails missed the grommet hole by about an inch. They ran the screws directly through the plexi, which eventually caused it to crack. I have to wonder if yours is a similar deal.

roadtrip se
04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
After two days of searching...

Macrolan AR2 in 7135 gray, 3/16, 4x8 sheet for $186.50 + $162 shipping from the west coast to michigan.

Everybody I talked to wanted to sell me 3000 sheets to special order it.

If I find that Donzi missed the holes like your picture, I'll have to call them to thank them for their attention to detail.

I'll let you know how I do...

Todd

blackhawk
04-21-2005, 03:02 PM
No local places have lexan? :confused: I'm up here in hillbillyville and a couple places had it in stock.

My holes were also mis-drilled.

Trueser
04-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Ok what about the rubber that holds it in place? any ideas?

What I found was Bondo poured into a couple of spots in the stainless, and thats all that held it.

How is it held into the stainless?

Mike

roadtrip se
04-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Blackhawk, I am following Rick's lead and going with something that will hopefully hold up long term. I have a friend who owns a glass business, so going the cheap route was an easier option, but I'm hoping to keep this windshield replacement business from becoming a regular maintenance item.
Rough water has been our friend since coming to Michigan, so I'm trying to do this right and only once in a while. By the way, a trip to torch lake in august is in the planning stages... maybe we'll catch you on the sand bar.

Trueser, Greg K has been through the insert replacement project in the past year or so. The red she devil is an OMC boat, but I would think the inserts would be workable for you. Might want to track him down. As and FYI, I am working on him to show at AOTH V, so maybe you can take a look at his rehab for yourself.

There is no joy in Milford as I prepare to tear yet another thing apart on the SE... We'll post some photos!

Todd

gcarter
04-22-2005, 06:11 AM
Ok what about the rubber that holds it in place? any ideas?

What I found was Bondo poured into a couple of spots in the stainless, and thats all that held it.

How is it held into the stainless?

Mike
Mike, maybe sometimes we forget about the auto resto business. There are rubber extruders advertising in Hemming's Motor News that make literally thousands of shapes, in any length you want. Pick up a copy. Also a good source for re-chromers. :cool!:

blackhawk
04-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Blackhawk, I am following Rick's lead and going with something that will hopefully hold up long term. I have a friend who owns a glass business, so going the cheap route was an easier option, but I'm hoping to keep this windshield replacement business from becoming a regular maintenance item.
Rough water has been our friend since coming to Michigan, so I'm trying to do this right and only once in a while. By the way, a trip to torch lake in august is in the planning stages... maybe we'll catch you on the sand bar.Todd

I didn't realize you were getting pre-tinted stuff til I read Rick's old post. Let me know if and when you're heading up to Torch, I'm there almost every weekend! :biggrin:

Tom Davis
04-22-2005, 01:59 PM
When installing the panel (plexi or lexan) into the frame and screwing it in make sure the clearance holes for the screws line up to the panel with good clearance. If the screw is in contact with the edge of the hole in the panel, when the boat flexes the panel will crack.

Helpfull hint: drill the clearance holes oversized enough to fit a rubber grommit in the hole around the screw. This will take care of the problem for good. Trust me, after replacing both side window panels on my C22, twice, this solution corrected the original design problem.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits