PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly a Captain, but..

Ranman
04-17-2005, 10:57 PM
...not a bad start. I thought it wouldn't hurt to actually take the U.S. Power Squadron boating course. I highly recommend this course to anyone who hasn't taken it. While I already knew most of what was covered, I did learn several new things. I believe this will also qualify me for an insurance rate discount around 10%. Anyone intersted in taking the USPS course should look up their local squadron.

http://www.usps.org/

RedDog
04-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Congrats!

On a side note - TN has put a new law into effect that requires anyone born after '88 to test/obtain a license. Must have for any motorized watercraft. My youngest falls in this window so until he follows through he can't drive the boat. At my option, I have also applied the law to my older son (he is 1 year outside of the requirement). Until he takes the course/test he won't be driving my boat either.

(...1 more hurtle to stop the inevitable request - "hey Dad, can I take the boat out....?")

DonziChick
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
My dad and I took that a few years back and I know I learned a lot. I recommend it as well.

Team Jefe
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Good Job Randy; I too highly recommend such courses. I have been running boats my whole life and I too learned many things in the Captain's course I took. One can never be too careful.

JimG
04-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Congrats Randy!

Taking the captains course was the best thing I ever did for my boating.