PDA

View Full Version : Xp Sp2 ?

MOP
04-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I was wondering do we need two anti virus programs? Will MS do as good a job as the outside venders?

Phil

txtaz
04-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Phil, I haven’t seen a virus for over a year and it was on a client’s computer. Today’s threats are spy and malware. This is the first year we have gone without Norton AV. I figure if something comes up, we will just use http://housecall.trendmicro.com it’s free so you save on the annual subscriptions.
I’m setting up the BIG blue multimedia computer and getting the home network up and running, patching into the home theater and planning on looking into spy and malware detection and prevention. Once I get it nailed down, I will post results.
Wes

synack
04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
I was wondering do we need two anti virus programs? Will MS do as good a job as the outside venders?

Phil

Running more than one antivirus program is generally asking for trouble since they will probably conflict with each other.

I agree with TXTAZ where spy/malware is probably a bigger threat nowadays. Get a copy of AdAware, the new Microsoft spyware, or Spybot and make sure to keep them updated and scan regularly... especially if kids or parents are using the machine.

David O
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Phil, I haven’t seen a virus for over a year and it was on a client’s computer. Today’s threats are spy and malware. This is the first year we have gone without Norton AV. I figure if something comes up, we will just use http://housecall.trendmicro.com it’s free so you save on the annual subscriptions.
I’m setting up the BIG blue multimedia computer and getting the home network up and running, patching into the home theater and planning on looking into spy and malware detection and prevention. Once I get it nailed down, I will post results.
Wes

Wes
I am running Norton AV Corporate here at work using realtime protection and it catches a few virus'es a week coming in through our e-mail server. I am scanning 32 computers with it and it appears the threat of a virus is still out there.
I also run Adaware, Spybot, Microsoft spyware and just this week installed Javacool Spyware Blaster on a few machines. They all seem to find different things.
Amazing how much stuff one has to install now days just to keep other stuff off your computer.
David

MOP
04-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I have been running the SP2 for a little over a month, just dawned on me I have two AV's going. I will be turning one off, go figure I re upped my AV annual thing 3 months ago.

txtaz
04-15-2005, 11:24 PM
David, I agree with what you said. Remember to train users not to open un-known emails or any exe or scr attachments. You can disable VB scipts and even prevent them (and exe's) from coming through your server. If you have a need for these file types, set up an FTP and then distribute from there.
Yeah it's a shame that too many people have too much time to mess up machines for people actually trying to get things done.
Wes