PDA

View Full Version : Question about Transom cut for Bravo

DonziDave
04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I recently bought a 1972 Allmand SuperNova project boat. The cut out in the transom is for the original OMC O/D. You know...the piece of crap with the rubber bellows around the drive.
First question is: I plan to install a 454 with a Bravo drive. Aside from the X-Dim, is the transom cut for a Bravo larger or smaller than the old OMC? If the Bravo is larger, I may not have build a new transom.
Second question: My old SuperNova was a vee-drive and had a left hand helm position which I liked. This Nova is a right hand drive. I want to convert this one to left hand. Anyone see a problem with doing this....ie...heeling from prop rotation etc.
Thanks for any knowlege....
Dave

Lenny
04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I am NOT sure, (so why am I typing this :rolleyes: ) but I believe everything that did hang off your transom, for when you switch to a Bravo/Alpha, had a LARGER hole than what you need now. :(

If it wasn't I would already have a black thing hanging there... (the transom :rolleyes: )

:)

MOP
04-13-2005, 11:27 PM
It will lean with a lefty helm unless you change the drive rotation, it may make it a little harder to find the right prop.

Phil

MOP
04-14-2005, 08:44 AM
I was thinking it would be a bit harder being a lefty, Scott you are right was late and not thinking right.

Phil

DonziDave
04-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info....I knew you guys would have the answers...!!
Dave

f_inscreenname
04-14-2005, 09:46 PM
My steering is on the left with no problems . You will have to do the transom. Well just the part that bumps out. Also check you motor mounts on the stringers. Most of these boats were set up for Vee drives, like I am sure you know and the stringer mounts are a lot closer to the transom then they should be for a I/O. Allmand, for a small block used big aluminum ā€œLā€ brackets to extend the stringer mounts forward. For a big block they may not work. Just depends how much further forward the motor mounts for the big block compared to a small block. There also may be a weight issue also for the brackets. It just depends where things go.
By the way Donzi Dave shouldent that be SuperNovaDave or maybe SuperDave.:biggrin:

Pismo
04-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Fill the hole, move the seat to the left and buy a lefty prop and spin your Bravo the other way/switch the cables if it leans too much. Pretty big job to fill that hole but the rest is fairly easy.