PDA

View Full Version : run motor out of boat

joseph m. hahnl
04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
i pulled the motor out of my minx. i bought the 5.7 motor from that regazza that sank in long island.it was pickeled in kerosene. so what i want to do is run it with motor flush out side the boat. and give it some fresh new oil and to make sure it doesn't have a spun bearing before i go to all the trouble of putting it in.
i have the starter wired and the purple coil wire to the battery but it doesn't seem to have spark unless i short the white green distributer wire that goes to the gear shift shut off swich. what am i missing that it doesn't spark with out the shorting? i would asume that it is a ground switch that if left open(unconnected) it would not effect the spark.

MOP
04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Run a hot lead from the battery to the + side of the coil that will keep the coil hot.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
04-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Run a hot lead from the battery to the + side of the coil that will keep the coil hot.

Phil
Phil: i did that and the coil is hot but it doesn't seem to fire at the distributer. i got it to fire by arcing the green white wire. what else could i be missing?

MOP
04-13-2005, 11:19 PM
You have Tbolt IV, check the wiring from pack. black wire to battery ground and terminal on base of distributer, white/red to left terminal side of distributer, white/green right terminal, purple to coil plus, grey coil minus then run hot lead from battery to + on coil should fire off. If no spark pack may have but doubtfully and very rare have gotten wet, water can if submerged long enough wick through the wires or through cracked potting. If you pack is dead let me know I have two but would need your pack ID# to see if I have the right one.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
05-08-2005, 10:29 AM
You have Tbolt IV, check the wiring from pack. black wire to battery ground and terminal on base of distributer, white/red to left terminal side of distributer, white/green right terminal, purple to coil plus, grey coil minus then run hot lead from battery to + on coil should fire off. If no spark pack may have but doubtfully and very rare have gotten wet, water can if submerged long enough wick through the wires or through cracked potting. If you pack is dead let me know I have two but would need your pack ID# to see if I have the right one.

Phil
well i gave up on getting it going when i peeked in to the valve cover cap hole .it was pretty disturbing. there was all kind of debree in there. it started when i wanted to take the 350 mags intake manifold and put it on the new motor. i found that the my mag was completly brand new ,never even made it past break in when they dunked it. "that guy must have cried"!!!!!! I almost did my self. well any way i used navel jelly and steel wool. and i cleaned the top of the cylinders to get rid of all the rust in the bores. i then took a crow bar and i got it to turn free. as soon as it freed up i tore it apart . i then rebuilt the short block. new bearings lightly honed the cylinders, one new piston . the heads were junk. so i was going to use the ones of the regazza motor. oh my god!!!!! the debree i saw in the hole it was like rusted mud oil over every thing. like the guy never changed the oil like never ever. there was rust all in the valley and all over the push rods. what a mess." this was suppose to be a turn key motor"" thank the earth i never put it in the boat" i cleaned the heads really good got all that orange stuff off as best i could. most off it came off. " i used easy off oven cleaner to decarbonize the ports and valve seats. laped the valves and seats. and i used the 350 mags springs keepers and rockers. so thats where i am today. i,m going to put the intake on and seal the rest. """"" the moral of the story is never take a motor that's been under water """""""""""""". I pickeled the motor in kerosene. what a load of crap that is. it might keep it from seizing but it. it doesn't save you the rebuild. "i'll rebuild the regazza 's short block either for spare or sale.
it would have been better to go with the remanufactured long block.
and as life expierence guides us. i will give you all the words of the wisdom i have learned."

gcarter
05-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Joseph, I need your hull # for the list I'm compiling. Color too.
Thanks