PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga For Sale

MichiganPachanga
04-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I have a 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga 18ft. 2+3, very similar to a Donzi 18. I am asking $5900.

The hull, interior, engine and outdrive are in excellent condition, with a few minor exceptions (captain's seat has a small tear in upholstery, speedo isn't working). It has a Mercruiser 6 (Chevrolet 250) with a Mercruiser Outdrive. It has been well maintained, and cared for. It had extensive service on the outdrive done at the end of last year, has been stored in my garage for the winter and is all ready to go this season.

This is a great boat that we have enjoyed -- we are only selling because I need the money for graduate school.

The boat comes with a 1989 EZ loader trailer with brand new tires.

We are located on the Lake Michigan coast of Michigan.

Let me know if you have any questions. nosnebm (at) hotmail (dot) com

Lenny
04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Very cool ride. You don't many of 'em and the ones you do seem to be yellow.

Is that original gel?

45-50 GPS ???

I know they were quite quick with the small blocks and a lesser deadrise than the DONZI, but I have never seen one with the straight six ???

MichiganPachanga
04-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I love the color too. There were only about 500 of these made total, and very few in this color. I am pretty sure that the gel coat is original.

I haven't actually clocked the speed, but I would say 45 is a pretty good estimate.

Just Say N20
04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Good looking boat from the pictures. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person.

Where abouts on Lake Michigan? I am from Grand Rapids, work in Holland at Tiara Yachts, and we keep our Express at Ellenwood Landing, White Lake (north of Muskegon). I would love to come by and see it in person. You can e-mail me personally at bstreb@tiarayachts.com if you prefer anonymnity (?).

MichiganPachanga
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
I just sent you an email, with my contact information. Looking forward to showing you the boat.

Just Say N20
05-16-2005, 11:40 AM
I went by and checked this boat out. The owner seems honest and open about the boat. His situation has actually changed and he is moving to PA, and wouldn't have ready access to boating.

It is an interesting boat, and with maybe a wet sand, some polishing and TLC would look fantastic. The owner also mentioned he was thinking about putting the boat on ebay, but would prefer to not have to do that. I believe you might be able to get a pretty good deal. I would not be afraid to buy it myself.

With his permission, I have attached some additional pictures I took while I was looking it over.

Voodoocanoe
05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
N2O, I sent you a pm.

Just Say N20
05-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Voodoocanoe sent me a thought provoking PM. In the interest of clarity, I thought it best to publically post some further thoughts about this Pachanga.

This boat not a Donzi, but it is a cool looking boat. I didn't go and look at it through the same "eyes" I would have if I were looking at a Donzi. For me, a Donzi is a thing to be in exquisite condition, cherished and appreciated. I was looking at this as a fun, sporty boat, that would make a fun play boat when I didn't want to take out the "thirstier boat." I didn't want to spend a lot, and this looked intriguing. The fact that it was 50 miles from home, rather than involving a multiple day road trip was also a huge plus. Money that would have been spent on transportation could be put into the boat.

There are gel coat cracks covering the bottom. but they didn't appear to represent a serious problem for a usability stand point. It would need to be restored to be brought back into tip-top shape.

But, not everyone is looking for the same thing in a boat, as evidenced by the owner's enjoyment of running the boat in it's current condition. A wet sand and buff out would make a reasonable looking 25 footer, that you could have fun with.

I didn't have a moisture meter with me, so I didn't check the stringers, but it has been my experience that about 75% of the boats of this age I have looked at over the past many years have had wet stringers. I work at Tiara Yachts, and have had many interesting conversations with everyone from line technicians to engineers about that.

And, shame on me because I didn't check the oil. I didn't say so in my post, but mentally I had thought about replacing the I-6 with a V8 (I like sport boats to sound like sport boats :) ), so it's condition didn't really matter. I should have mentioned that in my post. Milky oil is definately not a good thing.

And finally, the owner gave me a figure he would let the boat go for. If a person liked the boat, and wanted a restoration project, the boat was all there. On the contrary, if someone wanted a sporty looking Donzi look-a-like, a little cosmetic TLC would give them a fun ride for a very modest investment, assuming the engine problem was not major.

For me, any time I can get a 25 year old "performance" boat for under $5,000, I always plan on at spending at least another $1,500 - $2,000 on making it "enjoyable" (not restored). I believe I could do that with this boat, and have a safe, sporty looking boat for about $6,000.

rustnrot
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
OK I'm confused. First post says 18 footer, last post says 25 footer. I assume an 18, is it?

Craig S
05-17-2005, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Just Say N20]25 footer
QUOTE]

That usually means looking good from 25 feet away. something not always true on my stuff...haha

btw N20, I agree on your philosophy.

Just Say N20
05-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Craig,

Thanks for the clarification. By 25 footer, I did mean something that looked OK from 25 feet or further away, not the size of the boat.:embarasse

MichiganPachanga
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
I posted the boat on ebay if anyone is interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4553059502