PDA

View Full Version : Price of 22 Classic

DonziDave
04-30-2001, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know what the average retail sticker price was for a year 2000 - 22 Classic? Doing some research.
Dave

Frank Civitano
04-30-2001, 07:08 PM
Should be about $52,000 sticker

------------------
Frank Civitano

Dr. Dan
04-30-2001, 07:21 PM
I agree with Frank, although I have seen some deals on the other sites(shame on me!),check NorthwestOffshore.com(great Bikini page),also there are other links on that site that might give you a broader spectrum of what these units are worth in different markets. I just purchased a 22 in the fall. Also a site I found very helpful is boats.com , you can get NADA appraisals on any boat,its how I did most of my price research to determine what a fair market price was based on condition,etc... Good Luck...Doc

Bryan Tuvell
04-30-2001, 07:31 PM
OK, I have to chime in and ask, what am I missing?
Why are the new 22 Classics so expensive?
(don't attack me I am sincerely curious?) Is it because it is a "classic" and there is allot of mark up? They have less options than most boats.
Does the 22 Classic have a step hull?
For a few more $K you could have a new 26ZX with a 496HO? 52K will buy a sweet boat of several makes.

Just curious, and still shopping ...
Bryan

Frank Civitano
04-30-2001, 08:31 PM
The 22ZX at the boat show were $48000 with a 350 but the 22 classic had a 502. The 22ZX with the Scorpion is around $58000. Like I always say its a Donzi!!

------------------
Frank Civitano

Bryan Tuvell
04-30-2001, 08:33 PM
MadPoodle, I respect your opinion and post. I love a good laugh. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif And I too mean no harm.....
I was sincere in my question? And you really didn't answer my question????

Just wondering why the high price, I don't see it as justifiable. I know the history of the Classics, read the books, (Don is on my coffee table for all to browse, next to the ZX brochure), anyway I am just curious. I think they are gorgeous boats, but 52K for a 22???

No armor here I was just making a comment and asking a question. I am always looking for Donzi data.

Bryan (calm...)
MAN I LOVE THIS SITE, SEE EVERYONE NEXT WEEK!

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-30-2001).]

roadtrip2
04-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Ok here we go,
2001 Donzi 22 Classic with 502, Bravo 1 performance drive with low water pickup, 25 pitch mirage plus prop, internal hydraulic steering, corsa quick and quiet, dual battery system, fire estinquisher system, hour meter, carpet, cockpit cover, power outlet, sony cd with 4 speakers, digital depth finder, roadrunner trailer with aluminum rims and spare, four disk brakes all the way around for $46,842 in September, 2000 straight from the factory.
C'mon Bryan, you are about to get a real dose of Classic exposure here in a week or so. My boat is a complete update of the Classic design. All modern materials were used in its hull construction, the engine bay is finished in diamond plate, the dash is Gaffrig, and the vinyls are the latest spot resistant material. Yet, it is still a Classic and timeless. Finally, a step on a Classic would be travesty. I am looking forward to taking in all of the great Donzis in just another few days.... todd

Bryan Tuvell
05-01-2001, 05:03 AM
Todd, I am sure you are right on the mark. I love those classics, I have told the story before about falling in love with one my first trip to the factory.
I guess I didn't realize they were so expensive.
AOTH is closing in, I can't wait and I sure hope to get a ride in a classic or two.
Bryan

RickR
05-01-2001, 08:24 AM
Classics compared to cookie cutter boats are

Heavy
Slow
Narrow
Unstable when not under power
Need tabs
Ride wet (spray)
Require alot of horsepower
Burn alot of fuel
Hard to fuel
Engine is difficult to get to
No swim platform
Very limited seating
Very limited storage
No cuddy

Why would anyone want to pay a premium price for one? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

For me it's because of the 24 degree deep V with a very fine entry (the knife through butter analogy).

They come into their own offshore. Nothing like flying a Classic in a moderate sea at speed. It sure puts a grin on my face http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Also, I wish I had a recording of the giggles that come from the back seat after a high speed run Yee Haa!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Bryan Tuvell
05-01-2001, 09:25 AM
RickR - Sign me up for a ride please!
Bryan

DONZIMAN2
05-01-2001, 09:51 AM
Bryan trivia, Couple of years ago I get Bryan to go on a factory with me. At the time I am still the owner of the 22ZX he has. We get there and the place is Rockin with activity. Every boat they make was in some stage of production. We walk past a Blue Big Block Classic. This thing was slam awesome. Every detail was perfect. Bryan Flips. "I want that one," he says! I did't think I was going to get him away from it. If our rental car had been a truck we may have towed it home.

boldts
05-01-2001, 06:37 PM
Thought I'd add a couple cents worth. I have owned my 18 Classic for 16 years now. Now that I have a wife and daughter, I've often thought about a new ZX or Z style Donzi. Even though my boat is useless when it comes to storage and usable cabin space, that long flat deck as you sit in the captains seat brings me back every time. This boat has kept me safe in more Lake Erie rides than I can recall. The first time I went to the northern ocean for us OH folks, it had stormed the night before and swells were 5' to 6'. I being a never say never kind of guy, said it doesn't look that bad, lets go. After dropping my 18 Donzi off the top of a couple of those swells and looking at a wall of water as we were in the bottom of the trough, better brains finally kicked in and I took her back behind the break-wall. On a bit calmer day, in 1' to 2' swells, this is where a Donzi really shows her stuff. Because mine is a 1969 model, there is no visible flotation weight in her. When you take her off a wave, she flies straight, flat, and lands transom first. Has the prop just begins to enter the water again, you hit the throttle and she's ready for the next wave. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif That's my little bit of offshore adventure that's available to me.

Another reason I enjoy my Classic is the seat-of-the-pants ride. I have driven larger boats of other boat companies and while I respect their builders, even though your doing 70 plus, my Classic with-out a windshield feels every bit as fast. Grant it, 70 plus gets your attention in a deep V of any maker. The one I drove happened to be a Superboat 24'. Great boat, and the builder is a man I have very much respect for named John Coen. I met him at Key West when I was there. When I let the owner of the 24' Superboat drive my Donzi, he couldn't get over how much fun the boat was to drive.

Bryan, for your area of boating, you have the right boat. The only other Donzi in the 22' range to run on the bay would be a 22' Classic. It has a much deeper cockpit, you sit down in the boat much more and you get a better length of boat for those types of waters. Even so, if your not using it has a tender for your yacht, or on a inland lake, the boat is just like my 18. Useless for family outings of any real long time periods. You can lay down between the bucket seats and stick your feet up in the ski well, but not very practical for the other 3 or 4 people that may be on board with you.

I guess it's like when you see a Cigarette in the canals of Ft. Lauderdale. Everyone on the shore stops to take a look. Every offshore style boat enthusiast on the shore is saying: I wish that were my boat. I believe that Donzi carries that same heritage and will always be remembered as a true Classic.

Scott Boldt

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 05-01-2001).]

BigGrizzly
05-01-2001, 06:51 PM
The Clasic is a Clasic because that is what a boat is suppose to look like.My family has a Criterion (22 Clasic hull) a Corsican (18 clasic hull) a 16 sporster and a 22ZX (99 big block). all are nice but I like the clasic hulls better. You will see next week then maybe you will understand.

Randy (long time Donzi owner)

Bryan Tuvell
05-01-2001, 06:56 PM
More great info, it helps a non classic guy understand the love and devotion, can't wait to see them up close. I will bring plenty of film so momma can also enjoy when I return home.

Again, great info and thanks.
See ya in a few. Bryan

Varyak
05-03-2001, 07:12 PM
Bryan,
Ride with me at AOTH. You will never question the cost again. Like a new Porsche Carrera, expensive and worth twice that when driven to it's full potential and compared to anything else out there. 60 awesome boats at this weekends Poker Run in Jacksonville. Mine was the biggest crowd draw/most photographed. Nothing special really - it's a stock Donzi Classic 18. Second smallest boat in the fleet, rough windy day, finished near the front of the pack. Lots of Baja owners wondering why they spent so much money on slow, cheaply built boats.
See you at AOTH,
Mark