PDA

View Full Version : Minx update

Cuda
04-13-2005, 08:44 AM
I finally got in touch with the shop. They have pulled my engine out, but haven't torn it down to see what's wrong. They have another just rebuilt 350 they say they can install and have ready by the weekend, instead of going through mine. They said they could do it for two grand, installation and all. He's calling me back with more specifics on the engine, but that's probably the route I'm going to go.

BUIZILLA
04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
why don't you get a component fatality report first?

Cuda
04-13-2005, 09:04 AM
why don't you get a component fatality report first?
I still might, but it sounded like a spun bearing. I think the machine work and parts may cost me more than this engine, and I can have it back quickly. Who knows how long it will be there if I have to wait for a rebuild. It's been there for three months already. :angryfire :mad:

Rootsy
04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
If the motor is out... pull the drain plug and run the oil through a paint strainer as it is draining... wash the debris that falls out if any and inspect it... that should give you a "decent" indication of how badly damaged she is inside... water in the oil, bearing material, cast iron, rod and crank steel and aluminum debris are pretty easily identified...

JR

Cuda
04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
If the motor is out... pull the drain plug and run the oil through a paint strainer as it is draining... wash the debris that falls out if any and inspect it... that should give you a "decent" indication of how badly damaged she is inside... water in the oil, bearing material, cast iron, rod and crank steel and aluminum debris are pretty easily identified...

JR

I'd go tear it down myself, but the boats over on the west coast. When I was there, the oil was full of water, but it wasn't when I sent it there. He suspects a cracked head caused the water.

joseph m. hahnl
04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I'd go tear it down myself, but the boats over on the west coast. When I was there, the oil was full of water, but it wasn't when I sent it there. He suspects a cracked head caused the water.

are they taking yours for the core? is the one they're installing turn key?
if you can get your block back you could pick away at it in your spare time may be build a super modified,or at least have a spare drop in.

Cuda
04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
are they taking yours for the core? is the one they're installing turn key?
if you can get your block back you could pick away at it in your spare time may be build a super modified,or at least have a spare drop in.
Yes, they keep my old engine,and yes, turn key.

Cuda
04-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I had a buddy that lives in St Pete to go by the shop and check on my boat since I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone from there all this week. I gave them the go ahead to put the other engine in last week. My buddy called me and said he went by, and the mechanic said the new engine wasn't there yet. He then called a friend of his who is tight with the owner of the shop and asked what was up. A couple weeks ago, some lady from the shop called and wanted me to pay my bill there. I told her that I would as soon as I got my boat back. Apparently, the owner of the shop was afraid I wouldn't pay for the work they did on my engine that didn't fix it. I called him right after that, and left him a message saying I wanted to know what was up with my boat, and if it was a matter of money, to just give me a call. I guess money was the magic word, because within ten minutes he called me, and this was after I called him every single day this week with no reply. Anyway, I told him my buddy went by and was told the new engine wasn't there yet. The owner said it was there, and had been there since 9 am Friday morning. He didn't sound like he wasn't telling me the truth. He said he had to get a different flywheel for the engine, but it should be ready early next week. We shall see.

gold-n-rod
04-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Smells verrrry fishy.

I'd be tempted to go and get my boat.

Cuda
04-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Smells verrrry fishy.

I'd be tempted to go and get my boat.
I know the guy that owns the shop. He is in our boat club. I know he just moved his shop, and got behind on work. The last time I was there, he only had one guy working, and a bunch of boats. I have a feeling it will happen next week.

Cuda
05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, I just called the owner of the shop again. The engine still isn't in the boat. He said they ran it on the ground. When I asked why, he said it was because they had the boat at the paint shop painting my stripe. I told him I said not to do that because he wanted too much money for it, and that I was going to do it myself. :splat:

Footloose
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
man Cuda - this is starting to sound like my cluster with the Harley project that took 7 months to get going cause of a bunch of messed up motor rebuilder delays....re-installs, and major failures. Hope this works out for you Dude

onesubdrvr
05-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, I just called the owner of the shop again. The engine still isn't in the boat. He said they ran it on the ground. When I asked why, he said it was because they had the boat at the paint shop painting my stripe. I told him I said not to do that because he wanted too much money for it, and that I was going to do it myself. :splat:
That's it Joe, if he doesn't promise delivery by friday, me and my friend Guido are gonna go down dere and breaka somethin'. I'm guessing you're not going to have it for this weekend? soooo,....Bring a different boat!!

Wayne

RedDog
05-10-2005, 07:50 PM
OK Cuda - this sounds like a real AOTH cramp. I have room for you and Debbie to ride if needed - A Vol and Gator fan in 1 Donzi ought to be fun :wink:

signed - Serious

gcarter
05-10-2005, 08:40 PM
That's it Joe, if he doesn't promise delivery by friday, me and my friend Guido are gonna go down dere and breaka somethin'. I'm guessing you're not going to have it for this weekend? soooo,....Bring a different boat!!

Wayne
"Old Faithful" the fish boat!!!!!!! :jestera: :biggrin:

Cuda
05-22-2005, 07:12 AM
The owner of the shop called me yesterday, and said the engine is in and running on the hose. He said they were about to sea trial it. I called a few hours later to see how it went. He didn't have a prop small enough to run it with. I had taken the prop off before I took it there. I called a couple of friends there in Pinellas to see if anyone had a prop they could borrow, but with no luck. We are leaving here within the hour, and heading over there to take them a prop, and hopefully bring the boat back.

onesubdrvr
05-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Geesh,

I've been waiting around today, HOPING to hear that Cuda got his Minx back and that everything is good,....

I'm wondering, after all the delays, maybe the guy threw him the bill and BLAM??

ANYWAYS Hope it all went well Joe,

Wayne

Cuda
05-22-2005, 11:24 PM
I just got back, it's midnight, and I'm still Minkless. :angryfire

Cuda
05-24-2005, 07:42 PM
One more time. He called today and said it's ready to go. I'm hoping to drive there tomorrow, and bring her home.

onesubdrvr
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM
One more time. He called today and said it's ready to go. I'm hoping to drive there tomorrow, and bring her home.
I hope so Joe, for you!!

Hey, ever think of selling her?

Wayne

Cuda
05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
I hope so Joe, for you!!

Hey, ever think of selling her?

Wayne
Boats are like members of the family to me. :)

Cuda
05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
I'd probably consider selling the 302 first. :eek:

onesubdrvr
05-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Boats are like members of the family to me. :)
I'm glad to hear that,...... at least we know you're not gonna let them put it to rest!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I'd probably consider selling the 302 first. :eek:

REALLY? :idea: LOL!!

Wayne