PDA

View Full Version : 4.3 V-6 With Imco Thumper setup

The Hedgehog
04-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Here is a pic of our Classic 16 with an IMCO Thumper installation and polished risers. The next plan is to add an Edlebrock performer manifold, cam, some headwork to add some hp. I am planning some mods comparable to the 4.3 setup done in HotRod magazine where they got about 300hp. We are expecting less than that as we will be using a cam more suited for a marine environment. We will also add some additional engine dress up features. The end result should be a light nimble 16 that runs.

The through-hull added a big block idle sound. Under power it has sort of an airplane sound (as expected).

It is interesting to note that this setup is implemented on an OMC drive. The steering rod was right where the exhaust was to line up. This called for some custom work on the tips. Doug French at Dixie Marine did the installation. We are pleased with his work.

Blown16
04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
check this 4.3 out
1990 Sweet 16 with Camden supercharger running 9.5lbs of boost
I have owned this boat over ten years and it is bulletproof!

The Hedgehog
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
check this 4.3 out
1990 Sweet 16 with Camden supercharger running 9.5lbs of boost
I have owned this boat over ten years and it is bulletproof!

That is almost the exact same original boat. What kind of speeds are you seeing out of that set up? That boat should move along pretty good. Are you getting any chine walk. I was thinking that a blower would do well with the V-6 but I was thinking out (as in Procharger) as opposed to up. Your boat should have one heck of a hole shot.

You gotta love the way a 16 handles with a lighter setup.

boldts
04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Wow!!! Both of those 16s are very cool. I was wondering how long it would take for folks to start hyping up the V-6 engines in boats. After all, Buick turboed the V-6 in their Regal. Always liked that car by the way. Nice to see boats moving in that direction also now. Blown16, do you need long trim tabs to give the boat added running surface or with the lighter engine set-up does she run nice and stable as is? I would figure your either in or very close to the 80 mph mark?

Dixie Doug
04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Here is a pic of our Classic 16 with an IMCO Thumper installation and polished risers. The next plan is to add an Edlebrock performer manifold, cam, some headwork to add some hp. I am planning some mods comparable to the 4.3 setup done in HotRod magazine where they got about 300hp. We are expecting less than that as we will be using a cam more suited for a marine environment. We will also add some additional engine dress up features. The end result should be a light nimble 16 that runs.

The through-hull added a big block idle sound. Under power it has sort of an airplane sound (as expected).

It is interesting to note that this setup is implemented on an OMC drive. The steering rod was right where the exhaust was to line up. This called for some custom work on the tips. Doug French at Dixie Marine did the installation. We are pleased with his work.
Thanks fun project