PDA

View Full Version : Flo-Torq Hubs

onesubdrvr
04-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Can someone help me out here,.....

Has anyone had a problem with these on an OMC Cobra drive? I haven't verified yet, but I think the insert is slipping - worked fine for about 3 hours, then after a final speed run for the day, RPM's all of a sudden went way up, so I throttled down, now I can't get it above 2k without something "back there" slipping. No smoke or burnt rubber smell from engine compartment. Prop is a Bravo I, 4 blade, 22p. Flo-Torq II hub.

Thanks in advance, I'll pull the prop off later tonight and see if I can catch anything obvious.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
They have rubber inserts. You can spin them, just get a new insert to fix it....

That's what I thought, but was a brand-new hub kit,..... we'll see more tonight when I pull it off I guess.

Wayne

Mudball
04-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi OneSubDrvr:
It sure sounds like you spun the prop hub. Is it possible that you hit something with the prop, or the prop nut was loose? These are designed to give, 'hopefully' before something breaks in the drive...
==
You can also get a solid hub kit, if you have >400hp. This is what I am running now. I never had a hub failure, but was told by my engine guy to get one.
These will show EVERY vibration from the prop, though. I haven't had my prop balanced yet, and at about 2,500 rpm there is a vibration. None at any other rpm's.
The other downside to these is that if you hit something, you are much more likely to break something in the drive.
But, the solid one will handle power!

The plastic ones say they are good for up to 400hp, on the old box I have.

Sorry that happened to you. At least with that design, you can get home if they spin!!
Take care,
Kent

MOP
04-11-2005, 07:05 PM
There are a few out my way that don't like the "Flow Torques", reason being the rubber insert is much smaller than the stock OEM wheels they feel they transmit to much shock to the clutch dogs taking the gear cases out early. Sort of half way between solid hub and stock, they say it is one of those one size fits all tricks.

Phil

BUIZILLA
04-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Wayne, my Cobra drive had a Solas prop with the plastic insert, first time out with the new 350-310 package, it cracked the hub, but didn't spin completely.

JH

onesubdrvr
04-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Wayne, my Cobra drive had a Solas prop with the plastic insert, first time out with the new 350-310 package, it cracked the hub, but didn't spin completely.

JH
Thanks for the input, couple more ?'s,....

How long did the replacement last? Did you replace it with the same?

Wayne

onesubdrvr
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll let y'all know what I find.....I hope I don't go through the inserts every 3 hours of run time, I'd have to keep a ton of spares, and become proficient at changing them in the water,..... or go solid hub,....

Thanks again,
Wayne

BUIZILLA
04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
This happened in 1998 or 1999, can't remember... as far as I know the replacement is still on there since then, but I sold the boat a year ago. The Solas specific insert does not interchange with the Merc insert.

JH

MOP
04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
A tad more, when I took the 16 to the 1000K event I wanted a little less pitch for running in fresh. Even my prop guy had his two cents, told me not to run a S/S wheel with the Flow Torque that they were to hard on the clutch dogs. I grabbed an aluminum wheel to lessen the shock. Honest I would think twice about running a Flow Torque on any clutch dog lower unit, they are about as bad as running a solid hub. That has been tabooed up here several times.

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-12-2005, 09:14 PM
A tad more, when I took the 16 to the 1000K event I wanted a little less pitch for running in fresh. Even my prop guy had his two cents, told me not to run a S/S wheel with the Flow Torque that they were to hard on the clutch dogs. I grabbed an aluminum wheel to lessen the shock. Honest I would think twice about running a Flow Torque on any clutch dog lower unit, they are about as bad as running a solid hub. That has been tabooed up here several times.

Phil
Phil,
Thanks for the input,..........
I think I'm going to look for a 21p prop this week and try it this weekend.

I really like the way that 22p runs, but if it's not safe for the lower unit,...

Wayne

BUIZILLA
04-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Wayne, you NEED a 22 Turbo....

JH

onesubdrvr
04-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Wayne, you NEED a 22 Turbo....

JH
Thanks!
I'll look into one ASAP,....

in the mean time, I've got the Bravo 1 22, standard Stainless 14 1/4 x 21, and now I'll look for a 22 Turbo.

This weekend is going to be no good for prop testing either, 20mph winds this weekend is gonna really kick up some chop.

Wayne

MOP
04-15-2005, 08:48 PM
(Qoute)
Phil,
Thanks for the input,..........
I think I'm going to look for a 21p prop this week and try it this weekend.

I really like the way that 22p runs, but if it's not safe for the lower unit,...

Wayne curious what your top RPM was befrore the prop let go?
I would shoot for the right top RPM, my thinking 48 to 5 then you can play with prop to get the best results. Got a hunch Jim is on track.

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Wayne curious what your top RPM was befrore the prop let go?
I would shoot for the right top RPM, my thinking 48 to 5 then you can play with prop to get the best results. Got a hunch Jim is on track.

Phil
Top RPM was between 4500 and 4800, however, I never got it WO,....(I was still accelerating, but slowly), It was windy and choppy, however, judging by my 4 or 5 good runs, I'd have to say that that's pretty close, I may be able to trim out a little more and get to 5k or so.

Also, keeping in mind, with the roller motor, my HP peaks at 5500rpm, should I even venture there, or should I keep it down to 5k?

The Turbo 1 - a Mercury prop, correct? Keeping that in mind, would require a hub kit, what kind of hub kits are out there? Is there ANY hub kit props that are OK to run on a clutch dog lower?

Thanks,
Wayne

MOP
04-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Wayne I won't get into the propping thing that is always trial & error, my point is I have worked on clutch dog lowers longer longer than most on this board have been around. Two RULES like them or not. (1) Rubber hubbed props will let a clutch dog lower live ten times longer. (2) Always snap them into gear never grind them in easy! One swift clunk that saves the clutch dogs, thats where the rubber hub comes in it cushions things. Hard plastic and solid type hubs are tough on this type drive, will sooner or later round off the clutch dogs teeth that is not cheap. Cobra or Alpha drives must have rubber hubbed props!

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Wayne I won't get into the propping thing that is always trial & error, my point is I have worked on clutch dog lowers longer longer than most on this board have been around. Two RULES like them or not. (1) Rubber hubbed props will let a clutch dog lower live ten times longer. (2) Always snap them into gear never grind them in easy! One swift clunk that saves the clutch dogs, thats where the rubber hub comes in it cushions things. Hard plastic and solid type hubs are tough on this type drive, will sooner or later round off the clutch dogs teeth that is not cheap. Cobra or Alpha drives must have rubber hubbed props!

Phil
OK,....so, to save my drive, I should stick with a prop that is MADE for the OMC drive, nothing with an insert, correct?

Wayne

MOP
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Yes but don't worry most all porp makers have soft hub props, you are not limited to OEM. Run hard but don't run hard hubs :biggrin.:

blackhawk
04-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Phil, I thought the Flo Torq II hub kits were rubber? :confused:

MOP
04-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Phil, I thought the Flo Torq II hub kits were rubber? :confused:

Sure Flo Torques have rubber in the hubs but are much smaller and far less absorbing due to the room the slip in adapters take up, the non Flo Torques have a much larger rubber in the hub. I have seen both out at my buddies prop shop, there is quite a difference in diameter. Anything to help cushion the shock of the prop engagement will help save the lower. I look at Flo Torques as a One Size fits all, dealers had to have 30-40 props on hand, now get away with a few adapters and about 3/4 less porp inventory. It is a dealers dream! Do you think they give a damn about your lower heck NO they can replace or rebuild it!

Phil

RickR
04-16-2005, 07:54 PM
onesubdriver
Turbo Props are produced by Precision Propeller. They have props available for OMC.
Their new hub design is call T Loc check out link
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37914

MOP
04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Rick I was checking those out a while back, it is an interesting design, no way will you ever spin a hub again. I would be interested in seeing how resiliant the inserts are, they may trun out to be the hot ticket.

Phil

blackhawk
04-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Sure Flo Torques have rubber in the hubs but are much smaller and far less absorbing due to the room the slip in adapters take up, the non Flo Torques have a much larger rubber in the hub. I have seen both out at my buddies prop shop, there is quite a difference in diameter. Anything to help cushion the shock of the prop engagement will help save the lower. I look at Flo Torques as a One Size fits all, dealers had to have 30-40 props on hand, now get away with a few adapters and about 3/4 less porp inventory. It is a dealers dream! Do you think they give a damn about your lower heck NO they can replace or rebuild it!

Phil

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Thanks Phil.

RickR
04-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Poodle's right as usual, T-Loc is for 350+ HP :hyper:

Poodle, I like your post script, but I'm sure Heidi know better than to hand you two pieces of rope, when you want to go fishing :yes:

MOP
04-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Points well taken! Well back to, I would only run soft hubbed props on clutch dog lowers. It is just not worth a blowing a gear case and the lost play time. The gear case will cost you but the lost play time is irreplaceable!