PDA

View Full Version : Never stick it in a dry hole!

MOP
04-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Was running a tap in some threads today and my neighbor stopped by to see what I was up to, he was watching me clean the threads. He asked why it was on the messy side, I explained that you never ever run a tap into a thread or cut a new thread without slathering the tap full of grease, well he asked why the answer is simple the grease captures the shavings/debris. If you run a tap in dry when you back it out it will ride up onto the shavings/debris and can ruin the threads or worse yet jam the tap in the hole that is when it usually breaks off in the hole! So never stick it in a dry hole!!!

Phil

Chili 18
04-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Hmmm. Doesent this belong in the xxx section..

Always good advice... :wink:

Richard McCoy
04-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Use tap Magic on steel or cutting oil on nonferreous metals. Use a tap handle don't short cut with a wrench. Step cut ,starter center than finish tap. Don't under drill. Steady pressure forward, backup clean,than forward. Don,t force. If the tap brakes in the hole a tap remover does not work very well. The best way to remove a broken tap is to burn it out. A tap is harder than a drill bit most of the time which prevents drilling. Sometimes it can be punched out from the back side. Millions of holes without a broken tap.:rolleyes: