PDA

View Full Version : Who has major power in a 22?

Mudball
04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
From another forum, I was told that many Donzi owners have major power in their 22 foot boats! I have seen this on here a few times, but was wondering how many really do this?

I'm one of them, but I don't own a Classic, but a 22ZX with an HP500. I have hit 78 plus just a touch so far. I hope to hit 80 soon. I just ordered a full hydraulic steering system, as the slop is painful at top end...

Does anyone have this kind of power in any 22?
What kind of power?
What kind of drive?
What kind of speed are you seeing?
Do you have full hydraulic steering, and/or are you just praying something does not break?

Thanks,
Kent

Dr. Dan
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
:bonk: This Chick has a Sweet Ride....

http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_drdan/Lizy

Lets See...In no particular order: Big Grizzly, George Culotta,Lake George Special Edition,Catch 22 these 22's are all Whippled,Charged or some silliness. All very capable of upper 80's and more!

RoadTrip, Lizzy & Doc, Rick S have HP500 EFI's .... just fun, just plane fun!!

Rick Ryan, Byron have Skunk Works...I think there may be a Canine added to this mix soon. These Motors are not stock, and yield undisclosed, copious amounts of power.

I am sure I am missing a few...but these are the more predominant 22 Classic Registry Members who actually show up at Events and run there Toys.

Who did I Miss?

Doc

goatee
04-09-2005, 12:16 AM
great pic dan! i love the reflection on the water

Ed Donnelly
04-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Mudball;I have dual hydraulic steering on my 22' Anything over 70 it is a must.
I run K-planes.
Original it was a factory 330 hp. I then went to a Gale Banks twin turbo, big big boost 1,000 hp. but this was before the planes and steering. It was out of control over 90. I have since gone to fuel injected,too tame, 550 hp, getting there, now I am installing a procharger.. We will see how it runs sometime in May..........Ed

DONZI
04-09-2005, 06:22 AM
There is more info for you also under the True Lies Forum.Great results & experiences.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33017

olredalert
04-09-2005, 09:13 AM
------Doc,

------Glad you answered the question thats been on my mind for awhile about whose boat that 22 really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................Bill S

------Oh yah, I also have found out who owns a certain center console in no uncertain terms........

Mudball
04-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks!!
Doc, thanks for that awesome picture!
Ed, you're a madman!!! 90?? WOW!!

So, it sounds like I'm way mild compared to most of those!!

I think I see a 22 Classic in my future. I love the lines on those! And it sure sounds they handle big power and speed well!
Take care,
Kent

undertaker
04-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Doc your boat looks a lot better with Liz in it then you if ya know what I mean :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hopefully a 22 classic is in my future :lookaroun :cool:

Undertaker :beer:

Dr. Dan
04-09-2005, 10:11 AM
:wavey: Thanks Guys...I like that picture also, it's of the first time we "Splashed the Boat" after the repower project last year...there was alot of anxiety and anticipation in the air that afternoon. When I got the shots back...that turned out to be pretty neat!

:banghead: I think the 22 Hulls limits are somewhere in the 75 to 85 MPH Range, don't get me wrong...I know ya can go faster...and many have....but when you get going that fast in these hulls.....there are some interesting dynamics going on....and in my opinion....ya run outta hull!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its very much like over driving your headlights...except its in the physical limits of how fast that peice of Glass should be driven!

Now I think if the hull was reengineered to be stronger in the Stringers, Transom and all of the proper Offshore Mounts in place....you could get more out of it...but honestly I think...ya need to get longer, like a 27 Classic Hull or Magnum...then ya start running into the Single vs. Twin component...

The fact is the Juice and Thrill of a higher powered Classic is not in the Top Speed attained at all! It's in the thrust and torque you feel in the acceleration. The down side....this engines put tremendous amounts of stress on the structural components of the 22 Hull, stress Crack develop, impact cracks develop by runing harder longer in rougher conditions than normal, because your average cruising speed is up like 15 mph...and well, those speeds beat the living tar outta your little Gem. So its not all grins, the boats can handle alot, so can cars...but it doesn't mean ya need to be running 600 horse to enjoy yourself.

Everyone I mentioned above understands what I am talking about...but its fun, and its the game...its why we do it...."for the love of the game!" :wavey:

Doc of the Blue Pill