PDA

View Full Version : ebay 1975 19' DONZI HORNET

p729lws
04-06-2005, 10:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4540386494&category=31270

ending soon...

olredalert
04-07-2005, 09:56 AM
-------Wish I had sen this boat on E-bay sooner as I could have taken a look at it for anyone interested.
-------What do you guys think of the drive? Does it have a nosecone or is that the Volvo style speedmaster? Or are my eyes decieving me?...........Bill S

p729lws
04-07-2005, 10:02 AM
-------Wish I had sen this boat on E-bay sooner as I could have taken a look at it for anyone interested.
-------What do you guys think of the drive? Does it have a nosecone or is that the Volvo style speedmaster? Or are my eyes decieving me?...........Bill S

Bill,
They have an odd listing for the auction. I don't know how they think anyone will find it. It may go for good price because of that. Hard to say what the reserve is though...
Dan

Lenny
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
This boat has been in Boattrader for about 6 months at $6900. It never seems to move :confused:

I have glanced over the ad hundreds of times.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/6/78708986.htm

boldts
04-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Bill,

Ad says it's a Volvo 280. Looks like someone tried to add on a nose cone to me. Would the speedmaster bolt up to the 280? I also have seen this boat in Boat Trader as Lenny mentions. You gotta love the candy cane interior. Looks like a little elbow grease could bring the color back and the teak on the platform. Great Lake Erie boat with the hull depth.

rustnrot
04-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Is this one of those wife says sell? Hubby reluctantly agrees to put on ebay but puts weird title so it never sells...................

Sagbay32
04-08-2005, 04:52 AM
I have never looked at it due to the fact that I want a 22 instead. The boat has been for sale for over a year. it is located approx 5 miles from me if anyone is interested.

Mike

Just Say N20
04-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I have been seriously considering this thing, and am watching it on ebay. I had a 1976 X-18, and after I got married a 1979 18 2+3, and my wife's back didn't like the seats in the 2+3.

I was living in Rockford, IL 1982 - 1987 when I had the X-18, trying to sell it. At that time (pre-internet and readily available information), it was so unknown, that I couldn't sell it locally. In 1986/87 I ended up driving out to a dealer in New Hampshire near Winni to sell for me. I have erased the dealer's name from memory because of how I got screwed on that deal.

Anyway, my 1976 X-18 looked exactly like the 106 mph Donzi, with the exception that mine had a Volvo w/steering on the port side. I always wondered what happened to it. It also originally had a Volvo "speedmaster look-a-like" lower unit, with a transom water pick up.

Somewhere I saw a Hornet that had a bench seat in the front. Not as sporty, but I would gladly take a Donzi with a bench, over no Donzi at all.

I called the guy about the 1975 19 Hornet. Maybe I caught him at a bad time, but he didn't want to talk, or share anything about the boat, which I find a little unusual. Every other Donzi (Classic) owner I have ever talked to always had plenty to talk about.

boldts
04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Can't remember where the pictures are, but I believe Geos Blue and White X-18 now doing over 100 mph started out with a Volvo and a Speedmaster lower. Hummmm, Geos X -18 previous owner Just Say No?

Too bad about the owner of the 19 Hornet. Maybe like you said, just having a bad day. I know for a fact that Donzi owners love to talk about Donzi boats when-ever they're together. Now, the wives on the other hand get a little tired of it after 3 straight days at a Donzi gathering. :wink: :biggrin.:

Just Say N20
04-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm just anal enough that I might still have records from that fiasco, with the hull #. When I sold the boat, it had a regular Volvo 270 or 280 on it. I'll have to check tonight to see if I can come up with that, and a picture.

I never had the name on the 2+3, But I referred to it as Just Say N2O, because I had a mild (120 hp) nitrous kit on it. I was very gentle, never holding down the button more than 7 seconds. A 10 lbs bottle lasted about 15 hours on the engine meter. Picked up 800 rpms with the Nitrous.

Just Say N20
04-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Ugh! Now that was horrible. I found all the paperwork for the 1976 X-18 I mentioned above.
Yuck:kaioken: Re-reading/re-living that whole mess got me going again, 20 years later! I hate being screwed, and being called a liar. :banghead:

Anyway, it was Cataldo's Boathouse in Gilford, NH, specifically a salesman named Robert DiGangi that was responsible.

The boat I sold to them was Hull ID # DRM1813705 76-X. Ring any bells with anyone in that neck of the woods?

It was the same colors as Geo's, with white hull, blue stripe w/red trim, the high front seats again blue w/red piping, and the straight bench back seat without the back portion "rounding" the corners.

I'd love to know what happened to it.

Just Say N20
04-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Oops. I'm tired. That should be DMR1813705 76-X.

DON N.
04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Geo's # Dmr18125075-x .

mphatc
04-09-2005, 03:54 PM
My parents owned a sailing business in that area at the time, and I grew up on that side of Winnipesaukee. Although I never met Robert DiGangi, stories like this abounded in the area in regards to him and Cataldo's.

To bad there was no internet then!

Take solice knowing that what goes around comes around, and to that end DiGangi has had his "come upith" :smash: :smash:

MHPATC

Lenny
04-09-2005, 06:24 PM
It is not in this mess... :confused:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8067

Just Say N20
04-09-2005, 10:58 PM
As you can see, I am a recent newcomer to this board. I was hesitant to mention names because the event was almost 20 years ago. When I started reading through all the stuff looking for the hull #, it was like it happened yesterday.

As a 29 year old at the time, I got Cataldo's as a referral from Donzi manufacturing as a good dealer to sell the X-18. I drove three 18 hour days to get the boat there, and return to Rockford, Illinois.

As an honest person, I have always been innocent (stupid) because I expect others to be the same. IUnfortunately, I have gotten "better" and have to be cautious.

When I dropped the boat off, he was so pleased with the boat, that he said Cataldos would buy the Donzi from me, if it didn't sell after 2 months. After 2 months, I called, and was told they had no success selling my boat. The salesman then changed his tune, and was trying to buy the Donzi from me for $8,500, and not the $10,000 we agreed upon when I dropped the boat off. I had my sister, who was living in Burlington, Vt at the time call up Cataldos and express an interest in a Donzi similar to mine. She was told it was too bad, because a few weeks ago they had just sold one for $11,500. She then asked where they got their supply of used Donzis. He volunteered that the one they recently sold had been brought to them by a guy who lived in Illinois.

Anyway, thank you for the update. After that whole mess, I didn't think I was the only person they didn't treat correctly.

vrod02
04-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Doesnt look like the volvo e-drive to me but then again I've only seen pics myself.

Lenny
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Vrod, that pic looks like the E-drive on the back of Lee Raleighs 16 he had ???

Have you got it now?

:)

vrod02
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Lenny not mine. I took that pic off OSO.Do a search there for volvo speedmaster. I've never seen one of these elusive drives.

olredalert
04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
--------I know where there are two of them in northern Ohio. One appeared nice when I saw it a couple of years ago and the other was disassembled. Both could be bought if they are still there...............Bill S

Lenny
04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Red, I would be interested in a speedmaster lower if you can find one...

Just Say N20
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
A friend of mine has a late 60s Sweet 16, with a H/M V-8, and it has the Volvo speedmaster outdrive. It doesn't look anything like the outdrive on the 19 Minx. It is a much smaller diameter gear housing, and required a transom water pick up. His had a big, bronze-looking solid hub (not thru hub exhaust) "chopper" prop. It had no power trim.

He lives outside Stowe, VT, and used to boat some on Lake Champlain. He is the second owner of the boat, and the original owner had the boat custome made, in that it is done like GUCCI stuff; the whole hull/deck is that GUCCI green, with a red stripe down the center of the deck, and a thin red stripe down the sides. I don't know how much he boats anymore, but if you see it, check out the lower unit.

vrod02
04-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Anybody know what the lower ratio is on an edrive?:moped:

Lenny
04-12-2005, 05:31 PM
1:34 I believe "A" drive ratio

westwick99
04-13-2005, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine has a late 60s Sweet 16, with a H/M V-8, and it has the Volvo speedmaster outdrive. It doesn't look anything like the outdrive on the 19 Minx. It is a much smaller diameter gear housing, and required a transom water pick up. His had a big, bronze-looking solid hub (not thru hub exhaust) "chopper" prop. It had no power trim.

He lives outside Stowe, VT, and used to boat some on Lake Champlain. He is the second owner of the boat, and the original owner had the boat custome made, in that it is done like GUCCI stuff; the whole hull/deck is that GUCCI green, with a red stripe down the center of the deck, and a thin red stripe down the sides. I don't know how much he boats anymore, but if you see it, check out the lower unit.

Hey Just Say-
I've been reading your notes and I'm sorry about your experience. Your story causes me to remember a very exceptional quote (maybe it's old to the old hats 'round here)... but I'll explain in a minute.

I live on Lake Champlain (so I'll keep an eye out) and I used to travel thru northern New England. About 17 years ago I was wondering around Lake Winni in the off season, dreaming about owning a Donzi, when I stopped in at Cataldo's late one November night and drooled all over a used red and white 18 for sale named 'Bad Boy'.

I wound up meeting Bob Cataldo and he was very pleasant, gave me a few pictures to take home... we got to talking and I told him the story of a guy on Lake Champlain who sent his 18 back to Donzi for a refit, added a whomping small block, but was always reallly easy on it 'cos he never upgraded the outdrive.

Bob looked at me and paused, then said, "That's crazy. That's like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on!"

I'll always be grateful for that visit- A year later I bought a Sweet 16 off the boat show floor in Hartford, CT. Nearly went into shock doing it- it was quite unplanned.

penbroke
04-14-2005, 01:21 AM

He had it at the Fall Picnic last year on Lake George but left before I could get any contact info. If you talk to him (Paul I think?) please ask him to e-mail me (penbroke@yahoo.com). I want to see if we can get a few Donzis together sometime this summer on Lake Champlain.

Thanks,
Frank

Just Say N20
04-14-2005, 11:23 AM
You have a good memory. His name is Paul. 6' 7" tall. I will let him know.

penbroke
04-14-2005, 11:34 AM
You have a good memory. His name is Paul. 6' 7" tall. I will let him know.
Not really, trust me. But I do remember him being tall...

Thanks for passing on the info. :shades:

Frank
and now back to our topic...

Just Say N20
04-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Westwick,

Thanks for your story. I don't know the first name of the Cataldo I met, but he seemed nice enough. I had run short of cash on the trip out, and he loaned me $50 until I could get to the bank.

I got the sense that Mr. Cataldo didn't really know what the salesman was up to regarding my deal.

Penbroke,

I have some old video of Paul running his boat on 4th Lake (of the Fulton Chain running from Old Forge, NY to just north of Inlet, NY), where he bought it. Looked kind of wierd, with him being so tall, sticking so far above the deck, and the boat being a 16. His boat was built with a windshield, which he probably still has. He never liked how it looked on the boat.

penbroke
04-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Since we're so far off topic... here's a photo of the the green 16 with the e-drive.

I'd love to see the video sometime... I have a '66 18 with the tall greenish windshield and I'm not thrilled with the looks either but I've got to say with 50* air and 35* water it works! I pull it off during the summer but keep it on spring and fall.

Frank

Just Say N20
04-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Yup! :biggrin.: That's the one. I haven't seen it since about 1994. Paul lives outside Stowe, VT, and I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Way off topic, but still posting Donzi pictures. This computer is so old, :computer: I don't think it has the ability to post video, but you have given me 2 challenges. 1. to find that video. 2. Figure out how to post it.

penbroke
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
I took that photo last Sept. on Lake George, NY. The boat still has the e-drive lower on it. I think he said it would do mid to upper 60s in stock form. :eek:

If you can find it I'm sure someone here can get it posted. May want to check with Paul first?? Just a thought...

Frank

Just Say N20
04-16-2005, 10:33 PM
I remember it running mid-60s as indicated by the teleflex speedometer. This was way before GPS. It has been a long time since I rode in that boat, but it wouldn't surprise me if it broke 60.

I'm going to give him a call tomorrow.