PDA

View Full Version : 22 ZX with 6.2 and Alpha

CMC
04-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this boat and power package. How did they perform? Thanks

Buckeye
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
CMC,

I can't speak for the 6.2 myself however I do have a 350 MAG Alpha, running in fresh water is a solid 64 GPS. I can't imagine the 6.2 will do much better however I could be incorrect. From my perspective if the 6.2 cost extra bucks I would stear away from it for the simple reasons the 350 Mag is time proven and has many after market upgrades which should be less expensive than the 6.2 engine. Just my $.02.

Jeff

Last Tango
04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Sorry, Buckeye, I have a 6.2 and it has been AWESOME! I have owned it since they came out in 2000. Installed from the factory in my 2001 Classic 18. Took delivery of the boat and motor in August 2000. First batch of 2001 hull numbers. Motor runs VERY strong and without drama or starting problems like the 350 series. MUCH stronger that the 350/300hp I had before it. MX6.2MPi has massive upgrades, over the 350 series, to air flow, fuel injection, cylinders, heads, cams, intake manifold flow, crank, valve train, ignition and peripheral electronics, as this is one of the first new generation motors from Mercury alongside the 496 motor in 2000. Superior fuel injection and performance over the 350 series. I would insist on another (or a pair) if I got another boat. Stock 350 spins to about 4500 RPM. Stock 6.2 spins to 5250 RPM. More cubes, more horsepower, more torque, bigger prop, more speed.
My surprise is that the 22ZX in question on this thread has an Alpha drive. Is the boat brand new 2005 22ZX? I am not aware that the Alpha Drive has been uprated in horsepower. This is MOST unusual since all MX6.2MPi's were delivered with Bravo One units because they ALL exceed the recommended hp rating for an Alpha drive, which is 300 HP. And the sister motor 377 Scorpion was delivered with a Bravo One Performance or XR or ZR or XZ drive depending on which model year and specification ordered. Some 6.2's were delivered with the Bravo 3 combination for larger, heavier cruising boats. The higher torque of the 6.2 over the 350Mag was designed to replace the 454 series engines, which it did. Boats previously ordered with 454's got the 6.2 as the choice. 496's are big blocks, ultimately replacing the 502 series. 454's were the high end of the GM supplied small block developement. The muscle cars of the late '60's and '70's with GM 455's were all SMALL block derivatives. NOT big blocks as many think. The 6.2's (377 cubes) come in basically two flavors. The 320 hp "standard" motor, and the 350 hp Scorpion motor. ALL Scorpions developed 350 HP despite much haggling and arguing to the contrary as BOAT MANUFACTURERS, not Mercury Marine, put whatever HP figures they wanted in their ads. Unfortunately, our very own Donzi did just exactly the same thing advertising the "Scorpion 377" as having 377 HP. The Scorpion motors all came down the same production line, and all had the same parts internally and externally, including exhaust systems. Same for the "regular" 6.2. Scorpions designed for INBOARD V-DRIVE boats, such as Malibu and Mastercraft and Ski Nautique, were "rated" higher because they didn't have an outdrive attached when "rated."
About a year after I got this boat, I added fully polished EMI Thunder exhaust manifolds and risers. Still running through my factory original Corsa through-hull muffled (baffled) tips. Boat picked up about 400 rpm and several miles per hour despite all the chatter at the time that header systems would not improve performance on a fuel injected motors because nothing else had changed. Well, when you remove 100lbs of excess iron from the stern of the boat, you are going to improve performance regardless. Read the current issue of Family and Performance Boating magazine's article this month about putting that very same exhaust system on a 496 Mag HO. No other mods, several hundred rpm rise, more top end. No microchips or altered fuel pumps or injectors. Just better flow throught the exhaust system and less weight to push through the water.
Now you can stick with the old "proven" 350 if you want. But you will get old technology and old performance. A 22ZX can use all the HP and torque you can stuff in it. Last I heard, they were ALL being delivered with the 350/300 Alpha drive because Donzi wanted a price leading, no options, boat at the start of their ZX line. Stuff changes. And exceptions are always made, but I REALLY worry about having a 6.2 hooked up to ANY generation Alpha drive. Sure, it'll work... for a while.

blackhawk
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Personally I wouldn't hook either one of those motors to an Alpha on a ZX, but that's me.

Last Tango, some good info!!! But I thought the 350 mags peaked their hp in the 5000 range? And it was my understanding that the Scorpion was 377hp at the crank and 350hp at the prop. Similar to the HP500 being 500hp at the crank and 470hp at the prop.

CMC
04-08-2005, 04:34 PM
The boat in question is a 2001. It seems that this was the combo back then. I would really feel better if it had the Bravo!

Last Tango
04-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Personally I wouldn't hook either one of those motors to an Alpha on a ZX, but that's me.

Neither would I. I would put a 496 Mag HO with a Bravo One R-something on it just like the Classic 22.

And it was my understanding that the Scorpion was 377hp at the crank and 350hp at the prop

I completely agreed with you. Here is my quote from my response above:
"Scorpions designed for INBOARD V-DRIVE boats, such as Malibu and Mastercraft and Ski Nautique, were "rated" higher because they didn't have an outdrive attached when "rated."

blackhawk
04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I completely agreed with you. Here is my quote from my response above:
"Scorpions designed for INBOARD V-DRIVE boats, such as Malibu and Mastercraft and Ski Nautique, were "rated" higher because they didn't have an outdrive attached when "rated."

Whoops, missed that part. Must have been skimming the info too fast! :D

What about the rpm range on the 350 mag-300hp? I thought they were 4800-5000 range?