PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18/22 windshield removal.

DonCig
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
How much work is involved in removing a 1997 Classic 18 aluminum windshield and replacing it with a weenie bar?

And no comments on why it should or should not be considered. I like the looks of both and am just intersted in the concept of developing a patent to get rich on for a removable windshield design for Classic 18's and 22's.

DonCig

Lenny
04-04-2005, 10:38 PM
To remove your windshield on the 18, buy a 3/8 ratchet, then two 10" extensions, then 2-3/8" universals, a deep socket, decide to like one click of the ratchet when undoing it per stroke, and take about 6 Valium and start reaching for that last one. Much easier to put these things on when the hull is not underneath. When the nut falls to the hull bottom just smile and say "I planned that" ... :D

DonCig
04-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Lenny, when the windshield is removed, how many holes are in the fiberglass top and are they in a position that they can be plugged and refinished. Is it possible to put some type of nice looking rubber or chrome plugs in the holes so that the windshield can be reinstalled at a later date?

Does anyone have a picture of what the top deck looks like after the windshield is removed?

Thanks,

DonCig

RickSE
04-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Don,
I've removed both, aluminum 18 & s.s. 22 windshields. They both come off easily and have holes that can be filled with some elbow grease and a good color matched gel. The windshields on both my 96' 18 and 02' 22 were fastened with s.s. phillips head wood screws. Probably 25-30 screws on the 22, 20ish on the 18. The screws bite into the deck coring and most do not go all the way through the deck. You'll find that the finish around the edges of the holes will be rough due to the type screw, but can usually be cleaned up with sandpaper or a countersink bit. The newer 22's have a raised pad behind the windshield, kind of see it in the picture.

You could probably get fancy and put s.s. inserts into the deck to reinstall the windshield. I would think it would be costly though to make it look right since you'd almost have to make custom inserts that go all the way through the deck.

Greg
04-06-2005, 08:44 PM
If you are thinking about dumping your windshield, please let me know. I am interested in getting one for when the worlds longest restoration is completed.

DonCig
05-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Greg, I just sent you a private message. After AOTH I have decided to remove the windshield on my Classic 18. It is for sale and it is in very good condition. One panel has the normal crazing, the rest of the panels are on great looking condition.

RickSE, can you give me a step by step dissasembly process for removing the windshield?

Thanks,

Don

DonCig

Sam
05-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Try "Photo Shop" Don :biggrin: If you don't like it your windshield is just a click away.

Sam :propeller

DonCig
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Sam, I could use photoshop to make my boat look like yours, but it would never be as fast as yours!!!

Your 16 was a joy to watch at AOTH.

I watched you and Doug tear up the lake all weekend .

DonCig

Sam
05-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks Don we had a ball burning a few gallons of gas. As soon as I figure how to up load my pics I have one of Doug that is a perfect 10. I saw the pics that Randy took of you rolling along............... WOW. In my opinion some of them were magazine quality, nice job Randy.

Sam