PDA

View Full Version : Tires and pressure!

MOP
04-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Had a nice and informative conversation the a trailer rep the other day. I asked why the inflation pressures were so high on trailer tires, he said the pressure was recommended for max load and should be adjusted for total package weight. I asked well how do you figure out what is good for a setup, he said look at it as if it were any other vehicle not just as a trailer. He asked what my trailer and boat weighed it rounded out to about 4,500, he said to try 40 psi and maybe try a little less as long as tracking and handling did not change. I was running 50psi which was on the sticker, yesterday I dropped it to 40 and ran about 15 miles to a buds shop. First a nice hilly windy road then onto a 4 lane where I did a few lane whips to see how it was it seemed to be the same, did not get to go over 65 the boat did seem to ride easier. Has anyone else played with the pressure, was it any better or worse at higher speeds.

Phil

Dr. Dan
04-02-2005, 07:56 AM
:bonk: Phil...Your Rep may be correct...I have no idea and I don't consider myself an authority on a Fricking Thing...especially relationships....but thats another thread...my understanding is that there is a proportional relationship to sidewall strength and also the heat generated inside and of the the Tire itself.
If you are too low in pressure...it will over heat and Blow...ask Dwight & Rootsy. I think I Tow as much as anyone on here...each year I claim to try to not attend so many events...but some how I still do, last year was typical...15,000 to 20,000 Miles.
I had my first flat....leaving Winnie last year....when I got back home... I ordered 6 New Tires and had them on by the next weekend...if ya Tow as much as I do....I actually think ya should rotate the Tires...maybe twice a season for someone like me...what I find is that the Front Tires get Pointy from the wear pattern caused by Turning....they take the abuse....the rear tires kinda just ride along in comparison...I say this...and yet I have yet to actually rotate them...although I may switchem around before I begin any major Treks. :banghead:

I never run with less than 45 lbs in them...and I normally run at 50 lbs. I always check them cold, write down the pressure by making a small diagram of the boat before it moves out of the driveway....a Truck Driver taught me that...the heat generated between running to a Gas Station to filler up(for those of us with out home compressors) can bump the readings up a few pounds.... :D

I always relube/grease all of my hubs before a long haul...always, always! As a result I never have had any bearing related problems....in over a 100,000 miles in Towing over the last 5 to 6 Seasons... :wavey:

MOP
04-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks Doc, glad you chimed in. For now I tow very little long distance and input from you and other memebers that do go the distance are invaluable, the 1000 Islands is the big one for me maybe more places next year when I retire. The rep was comparing what cars and truck run comparing there weight and tire size, saying to hard or soft is not good. I will stick with the 40psi for now, I take my 12volt compressor in the sub and see how it goes on a long trip.

Phil