PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive question

vgraham882
03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
I heard that when a boat (1989 23' Ragazza) is stored for the winter the drive should be left in the down position. Well I had the winter shrink wrap put on it and I just found out the other day, when I removed it, that the drive was left in the up position. What kind of potential might that cause me in the coming season.

Thanks

MOP
04-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Storing a drive in the down position is a northern thing to prevent water from freezing that can collect in the lower units exhaust outlet. If it was fully and carefully covered it should be just fine, you would see a crack if had frozen.

Phil

boxy
04-01-2005, 07:30 AM
As long as it was lowered into the down position when you ran it to fog it, then let it drain in the down position before you raised it for storage, you should be fine. If you ran it on the water muffs in the up postion, then just wrapped it up, there would have been some water left in the outdrive, and you could be facing some problems.

vgraham882
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes it was winterized in the down position it was transported in up and was fully covered for the winter.

TBroccoli
04-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Could there be damage to the bellows if the drive is in the up position all winter? Bellow stretching?

roadtrip se
04-05-2005, 05:04 PM
My service manual says store the boat with the drive down to keep the bellows from taking a "set."

Bonus tid bit, put the drive down as far as it will reasonably go, before running on the muffs to ease the stress on the u-joints.

Spring cleaning under way...

New NGK long tips.. check

Fresh impellor... check

Grease and lube... check

Pick up new trailer... check

New flat security chain, sheath, and lock... check

Wash, wax, buff, repeat... check

Finally, gripe about the weather report and count down the days to AOTH V!

Todd