PDA

View Full Version : Check this 2005 22 Classic out

undertaker
03-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Check this out http://www.pier57.com/200522donzi1.JPG. I am not a 22 classic expert by any means, but I have never seen a 22 classic with this type of a windshield :puke: Me don't like it!!! :biggrin.: :spit:

DON N.
03-31-2005, 07:37 PM
I Don't Think I Like That Either , Wait Until Barry P. See's This .

Mr X
03-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Its an Aronow edition......

boxy
03-31-2005, 07:40 PM
I don't think it is an AE, there is no Aronow logo on the dash, and no scoop.
I do like the windscreen though.

ChromeGorilla
03-31-2005, 07:48 PM
You're right the boat is not an Arronow edition. But the windscreen is the same one thats found on the AE.

Mr X
03-31-2005, 07:55 PM
My bad....you guys are right! Maybe the windscreen is an option now........
I dont like it either.

Lenny
03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Steve here in Vancouver is getting one shortly. Aronow Edition (When RickS brings it here ;) )

He has the blue one with the twin stripes all the way back and down the transom and all the rest. 496 MAG HO etc.

I like the windscreen when the hull and fairing all match.

gold-n-rod
03-31-2005, 08:20 PM
One vote for "I like it!" :yes:

Trueser
03-31-2005, 09:10 PM
I Agree Ithink It Looks Good.

Ed Donnelly
03-31-2005, 09:27 PM
If it matched the deck, I think it would look much better.......Ed

blackhawk
04-01-2005, 05:09 AM
Hmmm, looks familiar! The Donzi Factory stole my "original" idea!!! :D

Dr. Dan
04-01-2005, 05:25 AM
:beer: I always prefer the Windshields...but it doesn't look horrible...in fact if done in the right colors..I bet it would grow on ya?

Hmmmm? Maybe for Liz's boat...course hers would have to have the 525 in it? :spongebob

Doc

undertaker
04-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Come on Doc buy her a nice 33ZX :biggrin: :biggrin: . Its possible it might grow on me but I like the windshield look.

Undertaker :smile:

RickSE
04-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I think it would look better with a white fairing. I'll save my real judgment on the fairings though until I see one in person. It'll be interesting to see how well they fit. Donzi has always had a tough time getting windshields to fit the 22 correctly, especially the more recent solid piece windshields.

Lenny, Steve's boat will be here in AZ on the 9th. I need to ask him if he wants photos posted or if he wants it kept under wraps. The plan right now is to have it up there for delivery on the 23rd.

Barry Phillips
04-04-2005, 08:45 AM
I know I am going to shock Don N, so Don sit down and grip something sturdy, maybe bang back a stiff one, but I don't think a fairing on a tradional 22 looks that bad. I like it better than the frameless windscreen. Now rim it with a handrail and wind deflectors not unlike some Cigs I've seen. WOW. I agree that the fairing would look pretty nice in black with Donzi in a raised decal spread out across the front it. There I said it. Now take the Aronow Edition 22, give it a black fairing and return the lifting rings, and lose the silly boy racer scoop, think of the possibilities. Now Don I have not given up on the classic SS windshield, I even spoke with a Donzi rep. at the NYC Boat Show and he told me that it is available again even in powder coat, can any dealers weigh in on this one?

Shanghied Again
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
That is an Aronow flaring and yes you can order it. Donzi is starting to take a different approach then they normally due. If a customer wants something different they will try to customize it to there needs. They had a customer order a 22 Classic unlike anything I have ever seen. Teak floors plush interior swim platform and flag poles front and rear. looked more like a mini Sunseeker then a Donzi

boxy
04-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Frankie.....are you home yet ???

Shanghied Again
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I am home.. Not awake. left sarasota at 8:00 am got home at 6:30 am came to work and need sleeeeeep... The Poker Run was a wash out 9 to12 ft waves in the gulf and 5ft on Sarasota bay. The boat Ramp had 4ft surges trying to pull the boat up. Boxy all I can say about the 35ZR AWESOME!!! One of the best running, trimming and takes the rough stuff well. I can't wait to run her again. I was sad that there was no run. Towed 1200 miles for an in water boat show instead of a Poker Run :bonk:

bob haver
04-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I Don't Think I Like That Either , Wait Until Barry P. See's This .Don, I tend to agree with you but... it does stand out, not your traditional looking classic. :yes:

Barry Phillips
04-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Bob, did you get your dash panel yet, the warm weather is almost hear. How about a white fairing with the stripe running over it? I like the idea that Donzi is going more custom on the Classics, although I don't want see Sunseeker 22s running arround, the 22 Classic is to cool is mess with, but how about dropping in the a 525. Dream on.

RickSE
04-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Donzi won't put a 525 in a 22. We already tried to get one and they said NO.

Meanwhile the 500's which they will still put in the 22's will be getting scarce soon if not already.

bob haver
04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Bob, did you get your dash panel yet, the warm weather is almost hear. How about a white fairing with the stripe running over it? I like the idea that Donzi is going more custom on the Classics, although I don't want see Sunseeker 22s running arround, the 22 Classic is to cool is mess with, but how about dropping in the a 525. Dream on. Barry, no I did not, can't decide whether I want a yellow or white panel. I did buy a four blade bravo 1, lab finish propeller from Merc. Pulled the boat out of storage, re-did the out drive, it looks brand new. Hoping to get a little bit more speed, maybe hit beyond 75. Last time on GPS, my buddy running 72.8 and pulled past him at least 3 miles an hour more with the mirage 25, 3 blade, hoping the four blade does better. Hope everythings Ok with you and the camp. Last we talked you were concerned about a tree falling on the roof. Email me privately if you'd like or call me 518-858-0052.

ChromeGorilla
04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Bob, just curious what motor do you have? I'm curious to see the results of you trial with the labbed bravo 1. Also I see your in upstate NY. Where about are ya? Scott.

bob haver
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
i live guilderland that is northwest of albany.the answer to your ouestion is a 502 mag i think we will met up at sacandaga becuase my buddys camp sounds like its across from your fathers at the northend

ChromeGorilla
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
My uncle lives in Guilderland. All my family is in Rotterdam, Schenectady, Colonie, Burnt Hills, Scotia. I grew up in Burnt Hills and went to highschool at BHBL. My uncle owns a motorsports shop in Guilderland near the high school called "On The Pipe Motorsports". He used to own Auto Cosmetics body shop out in Altamont across from the Fairground entrance. Small world. Hope to see you up at Sacandag this summer, Barry too. Ok I'm way O/T..... back to scheduled program...

bob haver
04-05-2005, 08:55 PM
My uncle lives in Guilderland. All my family is in Rotterdam, Schenectady, Colonie, Burnt Hills, Scotia. I grew up in Burnt Hills and went to highschool at BHBL. My uncle owns a motorsports shop in Guilderland near the high school called "On The Pipe Motorsports". He used to own Auto Cosmetics body shop out in Altamont across from the Fairground entrance. Small world. Hope to see you up at Sacandag this summer, Barry too. Ok I'm way O/T..... back to scheduled program...are you going to lake george and as for uncle is it robby v.it will be alot of fun to see donzis on sacandaga terrorizing the lake . bob

ChromeGorilla
04-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Yup, thats my uncle. You may know my dad too. He used to work for Rob. His name is Laszlo. Yes I will be in Lake George along with my dad, See you in June.

Dr. Dan
04-05-2005, 09:31 PM
:spongebob Chromeboy...Bob's Boat is awesome....I love that engine combo in the 22 and I love the Yellow....Bob we ate lunch together on Sunday...if ya remember?

Anyway...it'll be a great time.... :beer:

Lookin forward to running with everyone....

Doc :bonk:

Skunk Works Are Scheduled....

boldts
04-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Bob,

Sorry to get off subject, but just wondering how you expect to get more speed by running a Bravo 1 four blade on the boat? From what I've read here and advice from others, the Mirage plus 3 blade or Turbo 1, 3 blade seem to be the better props to run on the 22 Classic. Also, the Hydromotive Quad IV 4 blade is a favorite of the guys running high horsepower looking for stability in ruff water.

From past research, just about everyone loses 2 to 3 mph running a 4 blade vs. a 3 blade prop. Just curious where your getting your information? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to make an enemy or give you bad advice. I just want to help you by not spending money on a slower prop since it seems your looking for more speed out of your Classic.

Barry Phillips
04-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Rick S, that’s why I said “dream on” but I do understand Donzi’s position, the 496HO is a lot of motor in 22 footer, I see a lot of small blocks in competitors hulls. I just read a test on a 23’ Baja Outlaw running a 496mag in Powerboat with a top speed of 63.6 mph on GPS and 65.2 mph on radar, even with optional HO my 496 Mag equipped 22 classic will walk away from it, with that said I have been on this site for a long time and know somebody is going to do it. Last year Mercury Marine had one on display at the NYC Boat Show and my wife had to pry me away, it was thing of beauty.

As for Bob and ChromeGorilla, 3 22 Classics running down the Sacandaga will be a thing of beauty, so get in touch with me 908-964-3259, barry.phillips@verison.net . I am there every weekend. We can meet at the Broadalbin ramp and have a great day, maybe launch at Lanzi’s on the Lake or the Sports Island Pub. My place is on the East Shore right off of Sand Island and a few miles from the ramp. I will even host a baraclue at my place, so lets do it.

Bob your boat is in dam nice condition and I vote for a yellow dash panel only because your boat is yellow which is not a strong color against white, Lavorsi’s new one step bezel design looks pretty smart, add the new chrome trim bezels and white dials, and they will pop off a yellow dash panel nicely. Top it off with a yellow rimed Momo or Isotta wheel and lookout. You have to live with it though.

I just got the insurance check for the damage to my place, so I will get a new electrical service out it and maybe a roof. My wife and dove up that weekend and cleared debre away from house but 2 degrees and a foot snow on the roof made fixing the hole in the roof a little tough. I do thank you for you offer of help. A contractor friend of mine drove over the next day and tarped the hole and he will do the repair. Everything in house was on the floor, so the house took a good shot, but no structural damage. Thanks again for your offer of help.

Barry Phillips
04-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I forgot about Don N, I think the shock has passed, what was I thinking, that would make 4 22s on the Sacandaga and great company to. So Don bring your sexy red head, hum (Tesstarossa), your close by. We don’t have all the uptight noise enforcement like LG, we make as much noise as we want to, no tickets here.

Barry

bob haver
04-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Bob,

Sorry to get off subject, but just wondering how you expect to get more speed by running a Bravo 1 four blade on the boat? From what I've read here and advice from others, the Mirage plus 3 blade or Turbo 1, 3 blade seem to be the better props to run on the 22 Classic. Also, the Hydromotive Quad IV 4 blade is a favorite of the guys running high horsepower looking for stability in ruff water.

From past research, just about everyone loses 2 to 3 mph running a 4 blade vs. a 3 blade prop. Just curious where your getting your information? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to make an enemy or give you bad advice. I just want to help you by not spending money on a slower prop since it seems your looking for more speed out of your Classic.iam looking to get 2miles per hour merc racing tells me this is the one and if it is not where it soposed to be they will take care of it free of charge within 1week.bob.

goatee
04-06-2005, 11:53 PM
looks like a cheaper version of "blackhawks" lexan windshield.

boldts
04-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Bob. Always like to learn which is why I like this site so much. If Mercury is backing up the results, I'd be willing to spend the dollars also. Good luck with your tests. I look forward to reading about your results.

bob haver
04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
:spongebob Chromeboy...Bob's Boat is awesome....I love that engine combo in the 22 and I love the Yellow....Bob we ate lunch together on Sunday...if ya remember?

Anyway...it'll be a great time.... :beer:

Lookin forward to running with everyone....

Doc :bonk:

Skunk Works Are Scheduled....
Dr. Dan
Thanks for the compliment, I remember having lunch with you, it was a great time. The admiration is mutual, Your boat is Very Classy. I really liked your dash. I have been struggling with the color combo I wanted to use on my dash. I was thinking about a yellow gauges with chrome trim rings. What do you think? I would really like your thoughts and advice. Also can you give me some guidance on gelcoat companies that Donzi used during the 90's? Here is the serial number #dnac2068c696. I would appreciate if you could give me some direction in this area? I can't wait to get together with you, Barry, Don and everyone else in Lake George. Thanks, Bob

Dr. Dan
04-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Bob...as far as the Dash goes... http://shop.store.yahoo.com/nisongerautomarine/7-d18cdc.html

I went to Woody at Nisongers, they are located in Mamaroneck , NY, Nisongers can get you any Dash layout you want...he has Templates for all Classics, or you could get a Custom one Fabricated,...I had my Engine work also done there, by Holden Kramer of Nichols Yacht Yard. I will ask him who he can recommend for Gel work! I had a local guy in York , Pa do mine. It turned out great...in fact it is there now getting the hull redone so I can keep up with you Speedsters! :smash:

Dashes & Gauges are highly personal, after all you are looking at them all of the time, I love my Livorsi Gauges, and the GPS Speedo is awesome, no B.S.
I wanted to keep the overall stock look, but updated...I chose the Silver Wheel to Tie it all together.

Some go with the entire Dash Bulk Head Cover(Port to Starboard) like Pearsons....and some do the Glass with the Monsters like the new 22's.
http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/albums/members_drdan/vers.thumb.jpg

I have shots of mine on my Gallery Page on www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

Barry Phillips
04-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Doc Dan is right, dash upgrades, steering wheels etc. are really a matter of taste and his boat looks great. Bob again your decision will be do you want to glass your dash in and do an updated Monster Gauge approach or a milder update. I think your 22 have the plastic version of the newer dash style with the VDOs. My 22 is a 02 which I baught drectly off the dealer floor, If I had pre-ordered the boat I would opted for an 496HO, maybey colored hullsides, and the SE style dash, which was my wish list, but the deal on my boat and trailer was just to good to pass up along with the SS windshield which was a big deal for me.

My dash is the standard setup for 02s, except I have chrome bezels behind my gauges instead of red, which I think is a nice clean look. You like the yellow gauges installed in the 40th Aniversy 22. I like the carbon fiber faces with chrome bezels used in Aronow Edition boat. The bottom line is Livorsi dose not offer the gauge you want even in the Monsters. The Monsters used in the Anniversy Edition 22 are highly custom and probally only available to a given manufacture. Unless you want to go completely custom you have limited choices. Doctor Dan created a really nice look for his 22, just by making the right choices with what is available. In your case you do have a choice in panel color weather it be white, pewter, or yellow. The guys at www.nisongermarine.com will help you with panel color, but your choices are really limited with the both the Livorsi 2s and the Red Lines, I personally like the 2s only because of the Classic looking gauge face and I really like the new one step bezel available in black, white, and chrome, this is a very clean look. I only suggested a yellow panel because yellow is not as jarring against white as red which would be the choice in my case. Add chrome one step Livorsis, you won’t even need add on bezels. Also check out www.eddiemarine.com and look at there chrome oversized military spec toggle switches. They are more expensive than the standard Carling Donzi uses, but will provide a really classic look. The same switch can also replace the cheesy plastic piece used for the Silent Choice. Eddiemarine and Danamarine even market a unit to replace the stock Bennett trim switch, to tie it all the together.

Dr. Dan
04-08-2005, 10:28 PM
:smash: I think a Candy Colored Fusion Coated Yellow Dash would be Unique...Fusion coated cuz it would give it that Metallic look....like my Battery boxes...but a Musturd or Sunshine Yellow. Or a Polished Dash panel and have the Bezels Custom Painted....I have seen some incredible talent put to some creative use....

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26592

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26534&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

These are some Threads from Speedwake, the second thread is awesome to review, these guys are very talented....and just an hour from here!

Gives ya some perspective as to what is possible...for those of you considering new gauges and full panels...and new Wheels...and new Breakers,it does add up! :beer: I think it really changes my boat...and it made a heck of a difference....by the time it was done...I was about $1900 and change installed and fully functional. It was some of the best money spent. The GPS Speedo was the largest percentage of cost...$450 +/- and the Teal Dash Plate was about $230 , Wheel I think was about $190, rest was the other gauges, a New Livorsi Depth finder...and all of the rest of the switches.

Ah...the Evil Lure of the Anal Retentive...wanting so badly to have what they want...the look, the Class...and the Style. :smash:

Doc :party:

bob haver
04-09-2005, 05:38 AM
thanks for all help and sugestion,s alot to think about.right now i am having the bottom redone and stripe all because of couple pimples.i really need to know the gelcoat that donzi used in 1996.alot of my freinds say that i am to anal with this boat but you know how it is.thank,s bob

half shell
04-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Check this out http://www.pier57.com/200522donzi1.JPG. I am not a 22 classic expert by any means, but I have never seen a 22 classic with this type of a windshield :puke: Me don't like it!!! :biggrin.: :spit:

What do you think of 22 classic less windshield but with the wrap around rail like the 18 classics.Ihave not seen one but I like that look on the 18's

Regards Bob

undertaker
04-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Personally I like the windshield look, but on the 18 the rail is not to bad it is growing on me :yes: :yes:

Undertaker :shades:

half shell
04-10-2005, 06:37 AM
First the rails then the windshield and now the aronow edition with the fairing decisions decisions.They are all cool the problem is picking one!

Regards Bob

Greg K
04-10-2005, 08:11 AM
What do you think of 22 classic less windshield but with the wrap around rail like the 18 classics.Ihave not seen one but I like that look on the 18's

Regards Bob

Here's a good look at a 22 less windshield...was in the process of replacing all the glass in it.
Old Thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34807)

half shell
04-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Looks nice with or with out the shield just add water !

Regards Bob

PS tinted looks great adds to the color scheme

Barry Phillips
04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi half shell, there is a Long Island builder called Superboat, who builds a 21 footer called the Legend, which looks a lot like a Classic 22, boot stripe and all. A buddy of mine has an early 80s Legend with a 250hp Opti Max. The reason I mention this, the Superboat has no wibdshield, but a railing very similar to Classic 18 and wind visors attached to the railing. The Legend is a great looking boat, the big difference being the Classic has a flange around the cockpit used to mount the windshield or fairing and would look odd without either. I also saw a 24 foot Sonic with a very similar look as the Supperboat and it’s a great look, but not on a 22 Classic. With all that said I saw an older Cigarette last fall, maybe a 27 footer, I’m not sure, but it had fairing on it, along with a thin grap rail that ran along the top of the leading edge of the fairing with wind visors attached to the railing. I thought at the time this was a great functional look and could look pretty cool on a 22 with a fairing, even the frameless windshild.

PS. theres still ice on the Sacandaga.

Barry

DON N.
04-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I Heard Today That The Ice Is Gone Off Lake George Ny.

bob haver
04-11-2005, 10:54 PM
so when are we going run bob

DON N.
04-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Soon I Hope !

Hotspare
04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Talked with Woody at Nisonger about Dash upgrades ....

There display dash looks alot like mine, but the actual dimentions are way off .... So I guess it's safe to say that no one's upgraded this paticular dash through Nisonger before ...... Right ????? Woody say's their's no template to be found for this one .....
So, left me with no choice, but to call Donzi for support of obtaining the print ........
And, no joy there either ...... Seems the panel was out sourced in 98, and the records and/or prints were not kept by Donzi ........
The Manufacturer is out of business now also ........ So, does anyone have this template ???????? If so, It would save me some time ............ If not I'll just remove mine I suppose and have one made from it ......... RedDog ,,,, I believe you guy's have this same dash ,,,, Right ??????????

I'll try and post the pic's .......... Thank's

Bruce.