PDA

View Full Version : Is your wiring a mess? - Viper Update #11

harbormaster
03-31-2005, 06:46 AM
I was looking at the wiring that was pulled out of the viper and it was a real mess; nasty greasy wires, missing wires, electrical tape wrapped where the original wiring had been fixed/modified.... Not pretty.
No idea where anything went.

So after some research I went out yesterday and picked up 2 complete new Mercruiser wiring harnesses(needed for twin engines) from Victory Marine. You order these by the year of the engine in your boat which differentiates between which ignition system and injection or carb.

A complete harness consists of two sections that connect with the big fat engine compartment plug. There is the engine compartment section. The other half runs from the big fat plug, to the dash/gauge cluster.

Every wire is marked clearly and with the accompanying instructions, rewiring a boat's engine compartment and gauge panel is a breeze!!

I have enclosed photos of the harness that runs from the instrument panel to the engine compartment. Pardon the crummy photos. I did them with a web cam because my Canon digital camera is in the shop for the second time.

The engine compartment harnesses were out of stock so I had to order them. I will post photos when they get in.

I will also post step by step photos of the wiring process. This should be helpful to folks who are repowering their Donzi's or else cleaning up someone else's mess.

MOP
03-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Way to go good to see you are forging ahead, hmm who will be wet first?

Phil

Donzigo
03-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Posted earlier was an engine color code for Mercury. I think it was from the website "Mercury Mechanic".

Anybody got the link, I lost it somewhere.

Richard

gcarter
03-31-2005, 09:36 AM
When I started my re-wiring, Doug Luvins was kind enough to send me a copy of his original Donzi wiring schematic.
I went to Home Depot and purchased a "book" of sticky back number strips, used by electricians, to duplicate the wiring numbers used on the schematic.
The schematic, along with all the manuals, and bits of information collected, is going into my new "Owners Manual" I'm compiling. It's about one inch thick at this time.
BTW Scot, I like the labels. What did you make them from?

harbormaster
03-31-2005, 10:37 AM
George,

The wiring harness came from Mercruiser already labeled like this.

MOP
03-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Posted earlier was an engine color code for Mercury. I think it was from the website "Mercury Mechanic".

Anybody got the link, I lost it somewhere.

Richard

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page101.html

That was me Rich, there is a bunch of stuff on that site. Cut off all after .com and poke around there is something for everyone!

Phil

Rootsy
04-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Scot,

do you have to give the length of the harness or how do they handle that?

Thanks

Root