PDA

View Full Version : All in one - can it be done?

Footloose
03-30-2005, 01:58 PM
OK there technical folks - a challenge for you:

I use my boat to cruise and do overnights throughtout the keys, bahamas, S Florida and want to equip it with charting tools, GPS tools, decent DVD player, decent sound system with lots of MP3s, and of course do it on the cheap.
I am not thrilled with the $5k multiple black box solutions nor do I want to have multiple screens on my dash that I cant take down below to my bunk....so....

Anyone have their laptop set up to do all of these things? If so, what mapping software? what OS? how's GPS connected to laptop?, describe how you have it set up so you can integrate everything as needed.

Thanks

boxy
03-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Foot, I haven't used my laptop on a boat yet, but I did use it in my truck for almost 100,000 km's. I have a Fujitsu LifeBook with a dvd player, and a 15 inch screen. I ran 2 versions of GPS software, Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Delorme Street Atlas. I use a Delorme EarthMate USB powered GPS receiver. They now make a bluetooth version of the receiver, and they can supply you with charts for pretty much any water you want to boat in.
Check out www.delorme.com
As far as music, I run Real Player, and iTunes, either one will work for you when hooked up to a 5 speaker system.

Trueser
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Garmin has some great products for laptops.

Good luck.

txtaz
03-30-2005, 04:50 PM
I agree with what was said above. Get a laptop with a DVD player. You can get PCMCIA GPS card or Bluetooth (using the boats GPS) and plug the sound into external speakers and wolla, instant home (boat) theater. MS Streets and Trips is the best I've run across so far. The bouncing may be a bit much so have a good carrying case and strap it in. If you are looking to use it while running, I would get an LCD monitor and mount to the dash. Use the laptops external VGA port and keep the laptop in the cabin. Wanna go way out, get a touch panel LCD that way you can control it from the helm. The touch panel acts as a mouse, so no big mystery there. Sorry, no idea on prices these days. I haven't done touch panel stuff for years.
If you go laptop, be sure to make the place where you mount or place it very, VERY comfortable for it. Micro electronics do not like to be bounced around.
Hope this helps,
Wes
PS. I use Music Match for my MP3's. Works well.

synack
03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
OK there technical folks - a challenge for you:

I use my boat to cruise and do overnights throughtout the keys, bahamas, S Florida and want to equip it with charting tools, GPS tools, decent DVD player, decent sound system with lots of MP3s, and of course do it on the cheap.
I am not thrilled with the $5k multiple black box solutions nor do I want to have multiple screens on my dash that I cant take down below to my bunk....so....

Anyone have their laptop set up to do all of these things? If so, what mapping software? what OS? how's GPS connected to laptop?, describe how you have it set up so you can integrate everything as needed.

Thanks

I would use the free copy of MediaMonkey for music
WinDVD for movies
and http://www.microsoft.com/streets/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=001 for GPS

McGary911
03-31-2005, 02:43 PM
As for the music, you can wirelessly get the signal from your laptop to your amp\head unit, by getting an airport and using itunes. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70104/wo/GQ56Nm6hqVGc3cxgKOa1IDjBOZx/1.0.11.1.0.6.12

i have this setup at my house, and it works like a champ. the airport is 110v, so if you dont have that on board you'd need an inverter, which you could probably pick up for $50 or less...

MOP
03-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Being a boat dealer and former marine tech I would keep a hand held GPS aboard, if you All in One decides to craps you S&#% out of luck. I have rigged a number of boat with single displays, many of which ended up adding some sort of redundant nav item. All in One sounds great but will let you down at the worst times.

Phil

Formula Jr
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Footloose,
after an extensive look at whats available on the web I believe I have found the perfect solution to having all these various devices: GPS, Cell Phone, DVD/CD and MP3 player, digital camera, radio and VHF and laptop all in one handy unit.