PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Ultras?

Magicallbill
03-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Gentlemen,
As my and my son's Ski Sporters get closer to completion,our attention will turn to propping them before long.
I asked some months ago about the right props and a couple of you said Volvo Ultras were the way to go.

Where can I find them?Phone no's? Any help would be appreciated.

Magical Bill....

RedDog
03-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm not a Volvo guy but from what I understand it is something like looking for hen's teeth - good luck

MOP
03-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Bill you need it running borrow some props to find out what you need then do what I call the Ebay Dance, they turn up every so often. Like RedDog says they are scarce you may have to do the Buy it Now thing to get a good one. Big Griz has been working with Solice, they make nice props just seems hard to get them onto the task.

Phil

Lenny
03-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Magical Bill. I have a 23 RH Ultra you can buy if you like. I would wait tho.

In the VERY near future, (hopefully weeks) these Solas through Big Grizzly will be available. I am seeing about 19% slip with the Ultra and runs GREAT!!!

But, and I know I can trust him and his testers, the Solas product that got worked out is running about 5% but takes a few ponies to turn her. Drop 2" of pitch from what you think you can run and try one of these. I am buying a 21 and a 23.

I am waiting still BUT , they are now available. :)

Magicallbill
03-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks all;
The boat should be up-and-running by June;Like MOP says, we'll run it&experiment.
Lenny,if we find your 23 is appropriate after the test runs,I'd like to purchase it if it's still available.
Maybe by then B.Grizz's Solace(SP?)props would be another option.
My dyno sheet for my 342 Engine reads,
397HP@6000RPM
365HP@5000RPM w/383Ft-Lbs Torque.
Obviously,the 5000-mark is more realistic for the Volvo250. Lenny,given this info,do you think your 23 Ultra would work?
Thanks again for the replies,
Bill.....

mattyboy
03-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Bill,

I have experimented with all types of props on my ski sporter
custom spinelli's, elephant ears, choppers and the ultra is by far the best hands down no torque steer no chinewalk it was like putting power steering on the boat, now I have heard good things about the solas also so you might want to get one too.
I found my 22 lh ultra on ebay for 200 bucks, i would post in the wanted section here maybe someone has one they want to sell, the 24 ultra are alot harder to find and run in the 450 -550 buck range when you find them

I would want a 24 ultra, I can spin the 22 to 5000-5100 on a 351w making aprox 300-310 hp that should get me in the 45-4600 range with a nice cruise speed so you're making more hp I would start at a 24 ultra if you can find one

don't forget the ultra is a long hub not sure on the solas, you're 250 is probably a short hub, so you might have to drill and tap the shaft or I might be able to help you out with a custom made adaptor and tool

Lenny
03-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Solas are long hub Bill. With that horsepower, (mine is a 22 RH, sorry ;) ) you would spin it into outer space with your horsepower. I can't imagine mine being even at the 300HP mark and I can free wheel wheel it underwater and see 5200 on the tach easily with full fuel.

You need more prop. I would look at Grizz's 23 Solas if I were you.

Magicallbill
03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey,
Most grateful to you all;I sent the info to my mechanic.
He has told me that the 250 won't like all the HP coming to it.
I didn't mention,but you all probably know that the dyno HP won't be near those figures by the time it gets to the prop. He says the Volvo will eat 50-60 HP off the top.
Pics comin' when the boat gets done...

MB.....

Magicallbill
03-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Poodle,
So that means I'll only lose 25-30HP??
That means I'll have approx.330-HP at the prop at 5000?

Whooo..Hoo!!!!!

She might hit 60......

MB