PDA

View Full Version : Rub Rails.....what do you think?

gcarter
03-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Some of you have been following the slow, tortuous process of restoring my 19 year old (this month, infact it was built the same month and year Elaine and I got married) Minx.
Now you have to appreciate that the condition of this boat was pretty bad. I suppose it had all the chronic problems except a rotten deck.
So when it was time to do something about the old chewed up rub rail, the choices were;
1) replace with new rail and add still another set of holes to the hull deck joint (it already looked like someone shot the joint with buck shot). This is because I've been informed that there's always a tolerance stack up on new rail screw holes versus the one that got replaced.
Or;
2) try to rehabilitate the old rail. This was more appealing to me as I mechanically through bolted every screw in the joint (approx 100 1/4-20 machine screws in the joint and 100 10-24 machine screws in the rub rail). It is doubtful this joint will ever come apart unless I want it to, and I won't be carrying around a phillips screw driver in my hip pocket to tighten the rail screws every time I use the boat. It just so happens there is a powder coating shop here in Leesburg that finishes dragster chassis, so it was no effort for them to PC my old rails. The cost was about the same as new rails (approx $200.00) and they went right back together in the same old holes.

Well I chose a color matched shade of red to complement the accent stripes on the center stripes, the seat piping, and the gauges. So this last weekend at Mt. Dora was the first time so many people had seen it pretty much together. I was pleased a lot of people liked the affect, but there were a few that were less than enthusiastic about my choice.
So I'd like to take a poll about rub rails, I'm sure it's not as exciting as tanks or foam, but I think it has its place.

MOP
03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
George I love your new Florida Hat!!!!

MOP
03-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Yup tag and all!

Seriously I replaced my with the real thing, I had thoughts of going to the late style S/S. Wish I had the aluminum becomes battle scared pretty quick, I have 4-5 noticable scratches and now a damper pulley mark from when we put the engine in. When it gets crappier I will go to the S/S frig the aluminum.

Phil

penbroke
03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
I like it! I noticed the rail and cleats in that photo in the other thread and was wondering... How do you think the finish will hold up with real world use?

Frank

Trueser
03-23-2005, 10:13 PM
George,
I think it looks great!!!

When are you going to start sizing pictures correctly.

How will the finish hold up?

ChromeGorilla
03-23-2005, 10:22 PM
You know what George, bottom line is does it make you smile when you look at it? I think I know the answer ;) Ask ten people how something "should" be or look, get ready for 10 answers. Until someone devotes that type of time, effort and moolah into something they really love, it just don't matter!

I hear the same when someone buys a new boat as well.."you shoulda done this, added that, bought that option...." I heard it some with my boat (not necessarily board members) when I bought it, but you know what, I LOVE my boat. I truly do. And I got a hunch you love yours too. :D

Scott

harbormaster
03-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I am a fan of SS

Chili 18
03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I am a fan of SS

On my 18's 'makeover' I used aluminum from west marine. They look stock, "classic", which I like. But yes, one little dock bump and they sure show it... Is it possible to get the same style in SS? Or are you talking about a different style SS. May be worth the change in eithor case...

gcarter
03-24-2005, 04:23 AM
George,
I think it looks great!!!

When are you going to start sizing pictures correctly.

How will the finish hold up?
The pic size.....Arggggh! Unfortunately I had already posted this one. I was hoping one of the "powers that be" would resize it.
We already got one little scrape on it in the lock. Concrete is pretty unforgiving.
The good news is, I can remove a section and have it recoated, again and again. I can use the same holes. You can't do either of these with new rail.
I could even have it recoated with an aluminum finish. The only limit is your imagination.

MOP
03-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Gee Zus George it took you 7-1/2 hours to figure out how to size that Bill Board! Seriously I like th way it looks, no worse then chopping holes in it for pop up cleats like I am doing. But I can see the other side of the coin! Some will feel it detracts from the original Minx look, Oh well when they buy it they can just change out a very few items and end up with one of the finest restos out there.

M.O.P.

marcdups
03-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Talking about boats, any boat that I have had throughout the years have been a JOY !! :yes: from the "moth" that I learned how to sail to the 18 that I now have, but I have to say that I have always wanted a " DONZI" and am now on my second one. If any one has ever sailed I would say a Donzi would compare to a "fireball" which I think the Aussi 18 was created after, but at 14 I still had a blast deep sea fishing in a 21' pirogue with twin 9.9 johnsons, chinese bamboo as outriggers, my moms clothes pins and elastic bands to hold the lines up the outrigger, and a vhf radio, not to forget the money I made catching marlins( 742 lbs) the biggest and tunas and whaoos ets on the old Penn senators !! so no matter what your boatlooks like or rides,as long as YOU enjoy it and love it, then who cares what any one else thinks, just enjoy, BTW, I love my " DONZI'" :shades:

marcdups
03-24-2005, 07:48 AM
BTW this is where I grew up, lovely place !!, I miss it

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Africa/Mauritius/

Morgan's Cloud
03-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Yes Marc , that IS a beautfull place ... would love to see it in real life !

George ... when I first saw that photo of the Minx overboard I immediately thought ... 'oh well, can't wait for the grab rail-windscreen-foam no foam-gelcoat vs paint merc/volvo etc etc boys to get their hands on this '

Back in the early days .. lets say up to -86 or so.. what Donzi was putting out in small sport boats was so far ahead of anything else that they nearly all looked custom anyway... and that was before you really made a custom request. So it's absolutely possible that they would have built your boat for you like that anyway !
It's different and I think it's fine .

My old original alum rub rail was so far gone when I got mine it had to be replaced. I hated to part with it and it's 'Donzi stamping' marks but I replaced with S/S and would'nt have it any other way. It's durable, strong and polishes up easilly. Besides it really does look much momre understated than anodized alum.

My .02

Steve

mattyboy
03-24-2005, 12:36 PM
ditto on what harbor said

catch 22
03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Ditto on what harbor + matty said. :)

harbormaster
03-26-2005, 05:39 AM
My 18 (1995) had a hard white rubber rubrail with a stainless strip. Very nice, and very durable. Did not scratch like aluminum.

Scubado
03-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Wow!!! It's amazing how much of a different look that gives the whole boat! I personally like the look. Good idea. Another major variation on a classic design :)

gcarter
03-28-2005, 05:00 PM
This weekend, we hit the dock hard enough to pop some gel on the deck (thank God for color matched gel paste!!). The good news the only thing it did to the rail was to put a crease in the PC, IT DID NOT GO THROUGH OR SCRAPE OFF.

Cuda
03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
This weekend, we hit the dock hard enough to pop some gel on the deck (thank God for color matched gel paste!!). The good news the only thing it did to the rail was to put a crease in the PC, IT DID NOT GO THROUGH OR SCRAPE OFF.

George, you ought to quit testing the limits of the powder coating while docking! :wink: :sombrero:

jstokes8407
05-01-2005, 06:34 PM
where can you get the S S do the holes line up and all you have 2 do is bend it ? my origional rails are pretty beat up .

gcarter
05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
where can you get the S S do the holes line up and all you have 2 do is bend it ? my origional rails are pretty beat up .
You see, Mr. Stokes, that is the problem, you can't. As I understand it, there is always a tolerance buildup. Even putting my original rails back on was problematic. I put the side rails back on two or three times. It had to be done precisely right.

Lenny
05-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Jstokes, Taco Marine...has 'em.

http://www.tacomarine.com/diypages/aluminumrr.asp

jstokes8407
05-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Jstokes, Taco Marine...has 'em.

http://www.tacomarine.com/diypages/aluminumrr.asp

thanks that will work great

MOP
05-01-2005, 09:47 PM
The stainless is not much harder than the aluminum to install, I have put on more then I cared to over the years. You need to take time to do some good measuring and marking to try to either miss or hit the old holes (if they do in fact line up "doubtful"). It seems as if they rarely line up, once you are sure where your holes will go then counter sink at least some of the old ones and shoot screws in the with silicone and seal the rest. I always start from the bow, I take a section and mark center which I line up with the center of the bow, the bends are the hardest part with the bow being the worst. The thing I do is to like I said find center then bring the rail around to one side and mark the holes, drill and shoot a few screws in, then I take a 2X4 about 3' long and lay it against the rail starting from where it is screwed and slowly roll it and the rail around the bow. This helps to prevent the stainless from kinking, aluminum can be do by hand drill and screw as you go, also lay a bead of silicone on the hull joint as you go and put silicone on every screw. The silicone not only seals but acts as a lubricant for the screws, nothing will tick you off more then breaking a screw off. Make sure you use the right sized bit so they don't fetch up and break. If you are not sure about bit size it is simple, the screw shank not thread should be the tinniest bit smaller by just a few thousands of an inch. Only the threads should cut into the glass if the shank contacts the glass the chance of breaking screws off is all but guaranteed!

Phil

Zudnic
05-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I was pleased a lot of people liked the affect, but there were a few that were less than enthusiastic about my choice.
So I'd like to take a poll about rub rails, I'm sure it's not as exciting as tanks or foam, but I think it has its place.

I was searching for pictures of your Minx because of another. I like the look. It's a subtle update that blends in well with the lines. My brother is over and showed him so he could get a idea of what a Minx looks like. He said you would have one of the nicest around here if you ever get one! :beer:

Carl C
11-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Someone must have voted on this old thread. It looks great George. How has it held up? I don't think anything other than SS would last long for me.:alligator

Formula Jr
11-04-2006, 09:45 PM
If it ain't SS, it ain't worth crap: A gramatical trainwreck, yet it makes a point.

gcarter
11-04-2006, 10:06 PM
It has survived much better than I thought it would. There are NO scratches in it other than one transom corner where we brushed a concrete lock wall. It's not as shiny as it was, but it cleans up really well w/acetone where the rubber rub strips are located on the city ramp rubs off rubber on it.
I would guess it has outperformed my expectations.
I would even guess a new aluminum rail w/clear PC would benifit, but it would be pretty expensive and there aren't too many shops with ovens that long.

Dredgeking
11-05-2006, 04:50 AM
I'm a fan of SS rails. I like something functional and the SS stays decent looking a lot longer than aluminum. Since I grew up running tugboats with huge tires hanging off the sides, I sometimes have to remind myself that my powerboats don't have any. :wink:

Madcow
11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Where is the best place to get the SS rails?

gcarter
12-11-2006, 07:21 PM
The problem w/SST rails is they don't seem to come w/the "J" section rail like TACO metals aluminum rail.
Look here;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categoryg/10001/-1/10001/618/11153/24/man/asc/0/grid

A flat , half round SST rail would leave a raw lower edge to your "shoe box" loint.
Another alternative is to have the new aluminum rail "clear" PC.
When I say my PC rail holds up well, I mean it. The finish is really tough.

Rootsy
12-12-2006, 06:47 AM
so who wants to come bend the arch for the transom of my 18 if i should decide to go SS ;)

Donziweasel
12-12-2006, 07:20 AM
What are you paying per hour?:) :bonk:

Kirk
12-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Heck....I'll help you Rootsy!

I would like a road trip to Michigan.... all you have to supply is the Vernors! Than I will have the knowledge to tackle my rubrail that needs total replacement.

Here's the url for everyone that does not know what vernors is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor's

Take Care Rootsy and happy holidays to yourself and family!
KJ

Rootsy
12-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Heck....I'll help you Rootsy!

I would like a road trip to Michigan.... all you have to supply is the Vernors! Than I will have the knowledge to tackle my rubrail that needs total replacement.

Here's the url for everyone that does not know what vernors is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor's

Take Care Rootsy and happy holidays to yourself and family!
KJ

Ahhh a man that knows his "POP"... :yes:

There ya go John... you wanted to know what i paid... 2 Vernors and hour... ;)

LKSD
12-12-2006, 10:49 AM
George,
I like what you have done with the rub rail.. It in my opinion compliments your boat nicley. I usually prefer the stainless stuff my self, but the reason you had for reusing your aluminium was a good one. I am glad to see you powdercoated it as the anodizing is nowhere near a tough or good as the powder coating.. The aluminum should be fine if you are a careful operator when docking or mooring to things.. The aluminum is by far the easiest stuff to work with.. I have done the SS with compund curves like I think rootsy is refering to where the rail actualy bends in 2 directions at once.. It is a real M F'er to do because it is som rigid compared to the aluminum..
Anyway nice work, post some more pics of that thing! :) Jamie / Lakeside

Rootsy
12-12-2006, 12:55 PM
on an 18 barrelback.. it will be compound at the corners where the side transitions to the transom.. from there you have the St. Louis arch to make, from a straight piece of stainless... with the moment of inertia in the wrong direction for easy bending without serious stress on the material, yourself and the fiberglass... yes there are ways to do it :wink:

Donziweasel
12-12-2006, 01:09 PM
All I was looking for was beer or Captain Morgan's Jamie, when do I start?:)

Ed Donnelly
12-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Kirk; After having to drive 50 miles to get my Vernors, Pepsi are now Warehousing for Vernors, so I can get it locally.. My choice of pop for over 50 yrs... Sorry for the highjack......Ed