PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for summer

Verdugo
03-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey Gang,

I have a question I am now in Colorado from Arizona so winterizing is not my strong point.

I had my 16 classic in fall run out of the water for about 30 sec to run the water out of the engine.

Last week I attached the garden hose to the outboard alpha1 ran it and no water came out of the truhual I switched the to silentchoice on my Corsa truhaul and water was going to the bilge.

OK so I have a problem where should I start is there a freez plug or hose that I should look at?

I ran the merc 4.3 v6 with alfa one and no over heating at all

Please give me your thoughts

thanks

All

Verdugo

Morgan's Cloud
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
What exactly do you mean when you say water was going to the bilge ?
IS there a leak on the engine somewhere or do you mean that originally no water was pumping out of the though transom exhaust tips but was coming out of the leg (outdrive) ?

It does a water pump no good whatever to run dry for any period of time.
That said though, the pump might be fine anyway as these engines suck up a lot more water than an average garden hose can supply them with.
Not too long ago I though I had a water flow problem... it vanished when boat went in the water.

Steve

Ramman
03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
You might be up ****s creek, if you moved to colorado and didn't do any winterization, your motor may be toast. You have to fill the motor with antifreeze to keep things from freezeing, just because you ran the motor with no water going to it, dosen't mean there still isn't water in the motor, your exhaust manifolds hold water so does the engine block. From the sounds of it you may have a cracked exhaust manifold, that would be the least of your problems.

Verdugo
03-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Steve thanks for your response:

Well I connect the garden hose to the leg out drive and when I ran the engine not water was comming out of the out drive so I looked inside and the bilge was getting water the engine was running and not over heating.

I thought there may be a freez plug on the engine

Verdugo
03-22-2005, 01:04 PM
You might be up ****s creek, if you moved to colorado and didn't do any winterization, your motor may be toast. You have to fill the motor with antifreeze to keep things from freezeing, just because you ran the motor with no water going to it, dosen't mean there still isn't water in the motor, your exhaust manifolds hold water so does the engine block. From the sounds of it you may have a cracked exhaust manifold, that would be the least of your problems.

Holy **** you think it that bad?? I sure hope not

onesubdrvr
03-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Holy **** you think it that bad?? I sure hope not

Things could be much worse than that - I just replaced the engine (4.3l) in my Ragazza for the same problem.

Yes, if you're lucky it'll just be a freeze plug. On the OMC exh manifolds, there is a freeze plug as well, then the ones on the engine - (2) of which are located behind the motor mounts. But just because these are popped out doesn't mean that you are safe. When I took my 4.3 apart, I also found inside the block cracked (under the heads and intake manifold). CHECK YOUR OIL, if there is water in it YOU ARE IN BAD SHAPE!!

Crossing my fingers for you,
Wayne

Verdugo
03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Things could be much worse than that - I just replaced the engine (4.3l) in my Ragazza for the same problem.

Yes, if you're lucky it'll just be a freeze plug. On the OMC exh manifolds, there is a freeze plug as well, then the ones on the engine - (2) of which are located behind the motor mounts. But just because these are popped out doesn't mean that you are safe. When I took my 4.3 apart, I also found inside the block cracked (under the heads and intake manifold). CHECK YOUR OIL, if there is water in it YOU ARE IN BAD SHAPE!!

Wayne

Thanks for taking time to inform me of these monsterous possiblities. Ignorance is $$$. I am going to the lake this afternoon and checking the engine oil to see if it has water.

Iam hopeing it is a freeze plug.

Thanks again guys

Verdugo

Verdugo
03-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Wayne

Wayne,

There is water :confused: How bad is it :bawling: Do I need to go for a new engine?? HELP

onesubdrvr
03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Wayne,

There is water :confused: How bad is it :bawling: Do I need to go for a new engine?? HELP

I would say yes,..... but the only way to know for sure is to disassemble the engine. When you remove the heads and intake manifolds, that is (1) likely place to find cracks (on the side of the cooling jacket), mine were about 6" long on each side. Also, found the same cracks on the outside. IF THE BLOCK IS CRACKED, you could have it welded, I JB Welded mine and got a couple of more runs out of it,... DO NOT JB WELD IT, when mine gave way, I had all sorts of problems, and BARELY made it back.

There is the possibility of just having a blown head gasket, but MY EXPERIENCE says that the block, and possibly heads are shot.

Next,.... new engine? well, make it through the above steps (make sure the block is in fact cracked), and we can talk about the V6 to V8 engine swap, or just replacing the 6.

Wayne

MOP
03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
You say there is water, I assume you mean in the oil. There is more than a possibility that the block is shot, no matter what it is time to pull it out and see what may be salvaged. You are probably in for a transplant, if so go for a V8 it ups the value a bunch and you will like the boat even more.

Phil

Mudball
03-22-2005, 07:41 PM
If you end up needing an engine, I have my 1999 7.4mpi for sale for 3k.

I pulled it last November to install bigger power.

It has 156 hours on it and runs perfectly...

Just a thought...
Kent

MOP
03-22-2005, 08:11 PM
That would make that 16 haul AZZ to bad you can't shoe horn it in!

Rootsy
03-22-2005, 09:19 PM
That would make that 16 haul AZZ to bad you can't shoe horn it in!

plenty of room phil..... i think :yes:

might sink at the dock though ;)

JR

Verdugo
03-23-2005, 12:02 PM
I would say yes,..... but the only way to know for sure is to disassemble the engine. When you remove the heads and intake manifolds, that is (1) likely place to find cracks (on the side of the cooling jacket), mine were about 6" long on each side. Also, found the same cracks on the outside. IF THE BLOCK IS CRACKED, you could have it welded, I JB Welded mine and got a couple of more runs out of it,... DO NOT JB WELD IT, when mine gave way, I had all sorts of problems, and BARELY made it back.

There is the possibility of just having a blown head gasket, but MY EXPERIENCE says that the block, and possibly heads are shot.

Next,.... new engine? well, make it through the above steps (make sure the block is in fact cracked), and we can talk about the V6 to V8 engine swap, or just replacing the 6.

Wayne

All, I really appreciate everyones input.

yes that is correct there is water in the oil pan and plenty of it. I used an oil drill pump and pumped out a quart before i decided to stop I was ssooo heart broken.

I guess what Iam going to do is pull out the engine and start taking it apart.

I will look at taking the manifolds and inspect them for cracks.
and look at the block.

Question to all if the only thing cracked are the manifolds I guess that would be a quick fix. what are the possiblities. fro your experences.

MOP/Wayne - all if the block is cracked then this is the time to upgrade V-8 and make it into a monster. What the hell I have to look at the bright side. life is to short either the glaas is half empety or hlf FULL.

Any ideas are welcome

Lowenski

Lowenski

Verdugo
03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
If you end up needing an engine, I have my 1999 7.4mpi for sale for 3k.

I pulled it last November to install bigger power.

It has 156 hours on it and runs perfectly...

Just a thought...
Kent

Kent

Let me go through Waynes suggestion of taking the engine out and take it apart I appreciate the offer. after I do my homework I will know were I stand

Give me more detail on your engine what size hp etc.

Lowenski

Mudball
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Kent

Let me go through Waynes suggestion of taking the engine out and take it apart I appreciate the offer. after I do my homework I will know were I stand

Give me more detail on your engine what size hp etc.

Lowenski

The 7.4mpi is out of my 1999 22ZX. It has 156 hours on the computer. I pulled it to repower with an HP500. It is complete, except for the bell housing, and runs perfectly.

It is a 454 big block Vortec engine, rated at 340hp at the crank and 310 at the prop.

I don't know if a BB will fit in a 16. It would be fun, though!!

Take care,
Kent

Verdugo
03-23-2005, 12:18 PM
The 7.4mpi is out of my 1999 22ZX. It has 156 hours on the computer. I pulled it to repower with an HP500. It is complete, except for the bell housing, and runs perfectly.

It is a 454 big block Vortec engine, rated at 340hp at the crank and 310 at the prop.

I don't know if a BB will fit in a 16. It would be fun, though!!

Take care,
Kent

Holy **** did you say 340HP?? That would make it freaken fast.

Anyone know if the BB 454 is to heavy for the boat will it even fit let us know

thanks again all

Lowenski

Rodger
03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I would not recommend using the BBC in a 16. I don't think you will like how noticably tail heavy it will be. I went from a SBF to a SBC in my 16 and I was able to notice the the increase in weight at the tail. I'm sure it would be extremely noticable with a BBC. I ran a SBC 406 in my 16. I don't have dyno numbers but the boat ran about 74 MPH. The point is that you can get plenty of speed without all the weight...not to mention the possibility of the BBC not even able to fit in there. The hatch opening on the 16 is pretty small.

gold-n-rod
03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Holy **** did you say 340HP?? That would make it freaken fast.

Anyone know if the BB 454 is to heavy for the boat will it even fit let us know

thanks again all

Lowenski

I do believe that a big block powered 16, even if it physically would fit (which I doubt) would be a death wish. :eek:

Now, of course, someone will chime in and suggest otherwise. :embarasse Ain't the internet grand??? :bonk:

Pismo
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
You can easily build a 300hp at the prop small block and save the weight. What drive? An alpha will like a small block better as well.

glashole
03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I have a 16 and have done the swap from a 6 to a 5.0L v8. I can say that a motor any larger than a small block would be extreemly difficult to fit down the hatch.:wrench:

the performance upgrade was mainly noticable out of the hole and i gained maybe 5 mph max.
If you are going to go with a small block definitely go with the 350.
it would make the boat behave the way it should :biggrin.:

Shea

mattyboy
03-23-2005, 06:46 PM
simple pop the deck drop the bb in but don't go crazy putting all the screws back in for the deck cause you'll need to pop the deck to change the oil and plugs or just hire an anerexic runway model to get in there and do it :tongue: oh and don't get off the throttle real quick cause the wake will be in the back seat or and then there's the issue of noboard ;)
but not to say that a bench seat BB 16 won't be cool as hell
and remember there are some pretty crazy 16s out there the blown one in winnie and Rootsy's is no slow poke either :)

Chili 18
03-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the freeze damage. My 18 came that way when I bought it last year. I had intended to swap the motor no matter what. But was disappointed to find my bilge filling with water the first time I ran it after getting home from GA. Turns out the manifolds and block was cracked. S u r p r I z e… I was not overly irate, again, as the plan was to repower. Just disappointed the dpo lied. He said he ran it the past weekend and everything was fine. I paid a fair price for the hull so didn’t get ripped off… Just amused that the guy felt he had to blow smoke up my pants. I would have bought it anyway… Oh well. Human nature I guess. I put in a 5.7 vortec new block crate motor. It ran just shy of 70 the end of last summer. Its not a "killer", but plenty fast for the hull imo. Even better on a 16… Here's the link if you're curious. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/ The guy Roger, sells on eBay allot. Worked for me. If I had the time and inclination, a custom built motor would have been fun. But, this had me back on the water, reliably, in short order. Enjoy Colorado. I hear Cherry Creek Reservoir is pretty good. A big block in a 16 may be "possible", but not wise in terms of just having a fun safe boat, too much weight, again, imo… http://www.michiganmotorz.com/

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the freeze damage. My 18 came that way when I bought it last year. I had intended to swap the motor no matter what. But was disappointed to find my bilge filling with water the first time I ran it after getting home from GA. Turns out the manifolds and block was cracked. S u r p r I z e… I was not overly irate, again, as the plan was to repower. Just disappointed the dpo lied. He said he ran it the past weekend and everything was fine. I paid a fair price for the hull so didn’t get ripped off… Just amused that the guy felt he had to blow smoke up my pants. I would have bought it anyway… Oh well. Human nature I guess. I put in a 5.7 vortec new block crate motor. It ran just shy of 70 the end of last summer. Its not a "killer", but plenty fast for the hull imo. Even better on a 16… Here's the link if you're curious. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/ The guy Roger, sells on eBay allot. Worked for me. If I had the time and inclination, a custom built motor would have been fun. But, this had me back on the water, reliably, in short order. Enjoy Colorado. I hear Cherry Creek Reservoir is pretty good. A big block in a 16 may be "possible", but not wise in terms of just having a fun safe boat, too much weight, again, imo… http://www.michiganmotorz.com/

WOW you guys are really impressive!! I cannot belive tha amount of information I have gotten in the past 48 hrs.

Thanks all

The good news I am over the tragedy and moving forward :yippie: I have decided to make this into a new project which is making my 16 FASTER :yes: so I will contact michagan motors and look at replaceing the 4.3 I am not going to bother taking her apart I am just going to go ahead and replace her I would like to be in the 70'smph

Any more ideas are more then welcome. :beer:

Guys I would put the big block but fear that the extra wieght could honestly be deadly :shocking: not joking plus 3k for it is not bad for the 7.3 :cistineb:

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 09:52 AM

Chili is that the 5.7 vortec priced at 4400.00??

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 09:54 AM
I have a 16 and have done the swap from a 6 to a 5.0L v8. I can say that a motor any larger than a small block would be extreemly difficult to fit down the hatch.:wrench:

the performance upgrade was mainly noticable out of the hole and i gained maybe 5 mph max.
If you are going to go with a small block definitely go with the 350.
it would make the boat behave the way it should :biggrin.:

Shea

Shea thanks for your comments they are well appreciated question for you
what speed are you getting with 5.0 60mph??

Pismo
03-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Does anyone make performance heads or cam or exhaust for a V6?

Sam
03-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Verdugo, if your looking to be in the 70mph range you better plan on some serious hp out of your 5.7. Prior to making a few more engine mods and adding the Alpha SS I ran 64-65 mph with 340-350 crank hp and a Alpha Genn II drive topped off with a 22"Turbo prop. Now I'm up around 380 hp+ per my engine builder and with the addition of the SS drive I can run 73 mph on a good day. I think if you go with a decent 5.7 and a have the right prop you will see speeds in the range of 61-64. Keep in mind this is just my guess based on my experience. Talk to "Rootsy" about where he was before he went nut's with his 16. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Sam :biggrin:

Rootsy
03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
before i added the SS and a few other goodies i was about 350 propshaft hp... best was 68 mph flat... GPS... with a cleaver... you had to DRIVE it... not fun by any means of a normal person... the SS was an instant SOLID 9 mph gain running a 4 blade propeller mind you... then i added a bit more valvetrain... :yes:

i still feel the bottom needs some tweaking to get them to perform like an 18... although with similar setups i am right there neck and neck with dougL and his SS equipped 18...

J

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
before i added the SS and a few other goodies i was about 350 propshaft hp... best was 68 mph flat... GPS... with a cleaver... you had to DRIVE it... not fun by any means of a normal person... the SS was an instant SOLID 9 mph gain running a 4 blade propeller mind you... then i added a bit more valvetrain... :yes:

i still feel the bottom needs some tweaking to get them to perform like an 18... although with similar setups i am right there neck and neck with dougL and his SS equipped 18...

J

Roosty,

So You do have a 5.7 vortec v8 in your 16. hows the fit ? how about the instalation any tricks to it.

What are your recomendation you mention SS?? + Vavletrain?? can you give more details I would really appreciate it I have called Michigan Motors and am looking at the 5.7 v8 vortec

Thanks for your input I am not getting any work done today I am so gun hoo about getting the new engine

Verdugo

Sam
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
A V-8 fit is tight ! There is presious little room to do anything once the motor is installed. To get the motor in and out you have to take the exhaust manifolds off turn the motor 90 degrees and drop in sideways then turn it back 90 degrees in to the proper resting position.
The Alpha SS drive is a performance drive that was made in the late 80's. Basicly it raises your X dimension by 2.5" and gives you a more streamlined gear case profile. At this stage of the game you can find them but you have to dig to find one that's in good shape. Don't expect to make a few calls and presto it's on your door step, it may take a while. For now I would stick with your current drive and get some seat time once you re-power your boat.

Sam

Rootsy
03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Roosty,

So You do have a 5.7 vortec v8 in your 16. hows the fit ? how about the instalation any tricks to it.

What are your recomendation you mention SS?? + Vavletrain?? can you give more details I would really appreciate it I have called Michigan Motors and am looking at the 5.7 v8 vortec

Thanks for your input I am not getting any work done today I am so gun hoo about getting the new engine

Verdugo

yes i have a 350 chevy in my 16. "Vortec" 5.7L... No... i DO have a stock rotating assembly as it came in my boat from Donzi (same as the "Vortec" 350's) and that is as far as it goes... The rest is my own combination and assembly... 413 uncorrected hp and 431 ft-lb of torque on the ole dyno. subtract about 30 - 35 hp for losses through the drive.

the 350 (5.7 Litre) is a tight fit front to back in a 16... you put it in 90* to final orientation and once through the hatch hole you spin it and drop it on the mounts... front of the motor is a PITA to work on especially with a serpentine belt system.

the "SS" is an alpha SS sterndrive manufactured from 1986 to 1989 for the then hi-perf merc small block 300 tempest and 320 efi motors. the castings are obsolete now and not being produced. internals are regular alpha except the vertical driveshaft and the shifting lever which mates to the shift shaft in the transom assy. you can substitute a 2.5 Litre sportmaster or CLE gearcase for the SS gearcase if you run into that situation. the upper though.. you break it your ss is history.. as forrest once told me. this drive is 3 inches shorter than a standard alpha or bravo... effectively raising the prop closer to the surface and reducing drag and the ability to lift the bow of the boat or suck the ass end down. on a 16 and 18 it is a big mph increase for dollars spent and substantially improves high speed stability and performance.

as for the valvetrain comment i added more camshaft to my motor... increasing hp... best speed via gps to date... 81.3 mph... takes a while to get there with the 1.47:1 gear ratio and a 27 pitch 4 blade...

IMHO a 350 mag 300 hp motor will get you low 60's if you get an all around good performing prop.

J

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 02:11 PM
yes i have a 350 chevy in my 16. "Vortec" 5.7L... No... i DO have a stock rotating assembly as it came in my boat from Donzi (same as the "Vortec" 350's) and that is as far as it goes... The rest is my own combination and assembly... 413 uncorrected hp and 431 ft-lb of torque on the ole dyno. subtract about 30 - 35 hp for losses through the drive.

the 350 (5.7 Litre) is a tight fit front to back in a 16... you put it in 90* to final orientation and once through the hatch hole you spin it and drop it on the mounts... front of the motor is a PITA to work on especially with a serpentine belt system.

the "SS" is an alpha SS sterndrive manufactured from 1986 to 1989 for the then hi-perf merc small block 300 tempest and 320 efi motors. the castings are obsolete now and not being produced. internals are regular alpha except the vertical driveshaft and the shifting lever which mates to the shift shaft in the transom assy. you can substitute a 2.5 Litre sportmaster or CLE gearcase for the SS gearcase if you run into that situation. the upper though.. you break it your ss is history.. as forrest once told me. this drive is 3 inches shorter than a standard alpha or bravo... effectively raising the prop closer to the surface and reducing drag and the ability to lift the bow of the boat or suck the ass end down. on a 16 and 18 it is a big mph increase for dollars spent and substantially improves high speed stability and performance.

as for the valvetrain comment i added more camshaft to my motor... increasing hp... best speed via gps to date... 81.3 mph... takes a while to get there with the 1.47:1 gear ratio and a 27 pitch 4 blade...

IMHO a 350 mag 300 hp motor will get you low 60's if you get an all around good performing prop.

J

Rootsy,

Thanks Il look like Iam leading toward the 5.7, I will later deal with all the other goodies later on. I apreciate you taking the time to inform me. This really makes making a discion a whole lote easier!!!!

Thanks all

Chili 18
03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Chili is that the 5.7 vortec priced at 4400.00??
Verdugo,
As you can see, their are guys who know Donzi's allot better than I do. Seems the 5.7 would fit, but would have to drop it in sideways and adjust. So, they say its possible. Sounds tight thou. I wonder if someone makes a supercharger kit for the v6. That would make as much power as the 5.7 and weigh less. Also you know it would clear the hood and match up easily {side mount charger}. The vortec heads are a bit higher than the standard 35o heads. I had to add a hood scoop to clear the flame arrester. So presume you would be in the same boat with hood clearance with the vortec. I kind of like it, but its another thing to worry about doing... Sounds like perhaps a standard 350 wouldn't have that problem. Fwiw.. I'm satisfied with the engine from MM. It is a new gm roller block, which I liked. I ordered the one with the carb and distributor and fuel pump only. Transferred the other parts from the old engine. Since my exhaust was cracked too, I ordered polished IMCO "thumper power" manifolds and risers. They look great and were the best value at the time compared to a stock style. They are a tad high also and the hood is an issue. I'm raising the entire hood surface about four inches in the area above the engine. Donzi produced a hood just like that for a few years in the 90s, so im not going too far off base in the looks dept. Re the ss drive. I have heard that on flat water they are superior. Faster etc.. So, sounds like a good add on for yours in the future. I run on lk Michigan thou and we have some larger waves. I think and have heard that the longer drive is better as it keeps the prop down in the good water where it can get a good bite. I'm no expert however.... Yes. My 18 runs about 68-69 gps best in perfect conditions. Nice 1 foot chop trim way high so its flying. 1/2 fuel. only me onboard... The hydromotive quad IV really helped the handling and stability. Especially after adding a nose cone to the drive. That really made the prop come to life. I would explore the supercharged v6 concept as well.

Chili 18
03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Supercharged V6.

http://www.waspaust.co.nz/BuickV6.htm

http://www.waspaust.co.nz/Conversion%20Kits.htm

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Verdugo,
As you can see, their are guys who know Donzi's allot better than I do. Seems the 5.7 would fit, but would have to drop it in sideways and adjust. So, they say its possible. Sounds tight thou. I wonder if someone makes a supercharger kit for the v6. That would make as much power as the 5.7 and weigh less. Also you know it would clear the hood and match up easily {side mount charger}. The vortec heads are a bit higher than the standard 35o heads. I had to add a hood scoop to clear the flame arrester. So presume you would be in the same boat with hood clearance with the vortec. I kind of like it, but its another thing to worry about doing... Sounds like perhaps a standard 350 wouldn't have that problem. Fwiw.. I'm satisfied with the engine from MM. It is a new gm roller block, which I liked. I ordered the one with the carb and distributor and fuel pump only. Transferred the other parts from the old engine. Since my exhaust was cracked too, I ordered polished IMCO "thumper power" manifolds and risers. They look great and were the best value at the time compared to a stock style. They are a tad high also and the hood is an issue. I'm raising the entire hood surface about four inches in the area above the engine. Donzi produced a hood just like that for a few years in the 90s, so im not going too far off base in the looks dept. Re the ss drive. I have heard that on flat water they are superior. Faster etc.. So, sounds like a good add on for yours in the future. I run on lk Michigan thou and we have some larger waves. I think and have heard that the longer drive is better as it keeps the prop down in the good water where it can get a good bite. I'm no expert however.... Yes. My 18 runs about 68-69 gps best in perfect conditions. Nice 1 foot chop trim way high so its flying. 1/2 fuel. only me onboard... The hydromotive quad IV really helped the handling and stability. Especially after adding a nose cone to the drive. That really made the prop come to life. I would explore the supercharged v6 concept as well.
Hey thanks for your detailed message.

The reason I am leaving the 4.3 is because its shot do you have any knowledge were I can get more info on a 4.3 turbo

So you mean I will need to add a hoods scoop Ok where do I get one? Before I get the engine mite as well get the scoop

I have the corsa silent choice exhaust and would like to get the SS Manifold & Raiser do you have the IMCO info Regarding the SS Drive I'm sticky with the Alpha one until I get use to the new stuff.

I would greatly appreciate the info

About lakes in Arizona there are plenty yes Lake Pleasant is one I strongly recommend Canyon lake you will love cruising through the canyons, Lake Saguaro, very up & petty from the Scottsdale crowd, Apache lake and Roosevelt lake are all with 45 min - 1hr from Phoenix metro area. Have fun. Not to many Donzi out there and you'll be a eye stopper I guarantee it

Lowenski M. Garcia

BUIZILLA
03-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Chili's info pertain's to a BUICK, not a CHEVY configuration. Even the bellhousing setup is different.

JH

Verdugo
03-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey thanks for your detailed message.

The reason I am leaving the 4.3 is because its shot do you have any knowledge were I can get more info on a 4.3 turbo

So you mean I will need to add a hoods scoop Ok where do I get one? Before I get the engine mite as well get the scoop

I have the corsa silent choice exhaust and would like to get the SS Manifold & Raiser do you have the IMCO info Regarding the SS Drive I'm sticky with the Alpha one until I get use to the new stuff.

I would greatly appreciate the info

About lakes in Arizona there are plenty yes Lake Pleasant is one I strongly recommend Canyon lake you will love cruising through the canyons, Lake Saguaro, very up & petty from the Scottsdale crowd, Apache lake and Roosevelt lake are all with 45 min - 1hr from Phoenix metro area. Have fun. Not to many Donzi out there and you'll be a eye stopper I guarantee it

Lowenski M. Garcia

I found the IMCO web page good stuff I think in going with the 5.7 looks like it the simplest and best way to get up and runing

Chili 18
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Chili's info pertain's to a BUICK, not a CHEVY configuration. Even the bellhousing setup is different.

JH

Yes, Just an example... In New Zealand anyway. They did have some optional parts refering to volvo / merc: Not sure what a stern leg adapter kit is??

http://www.waspaust.co.nz/Conversion%20Kits.htm

optional
Rear or Front Mount Heat Exchanger Kit (Delete b)
Volvo/Mercruiser Stern Leg Adaptor Kit (Delete c & e)
Borg Warner G/B Housing & Drive Damper (Delete c & e)
Close Coupling Kit (212 Unit) (Delete c & e)
Raw Water Pump Kit
Oil Cooler Kit
9lb Boost Kit (280HP)

onesubdrvr
03-24-2005, 05:24 PM
I found the IMCO web page good stuff I think in going with the 5.7 looks like it the simplest and best way to get up and runing

I like the sound of that!!

There are some things to keep in mind though
1) You will also need new exhaust manifolds, risers / etc. - You MAY run into an issue lining up with what's there when you shift
2) You will MOST LIKELY need to move the forward engine forward about 4 1/2 inches. **I RECOMMEND DOING THIS AFTER REMOVAL OF THE ENGINE, AND BEFORE BUYING THE NEW ONE, SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE SURE THE STRINGERS ARE SOLID, ALSO, SEAL THE OLD HOLES AS BEST AS YOU CAN**
3) MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COMPLETE, READY TO RUN, I just did a swap on my Ragazza, and found that the little stuff adds up to big $$. - Just so you know, I could have bought a 4.3l and swapped for about 2k. I Started with a v-8 OMC block, by the time I was done, I had about $1200.00 - machine work and long block assembly, $2k in the rebuild parts - gasket kit, rods, pistons, cam, roller rockers, etc. (alot of goodies in here, and did go from standard to all roller, but, just to give you an idea of price). Also includes new intake manifold, carb, distributer, coil / etc. Another $700.00 in exhaust (new exhaust tips, hose, clamps, etc.) (I did not have captains call though).

So, to sum up, it cost me $4k (+/-) to install a 8 cylinder into my Ragazza, could have done the V-6 for close to 1/2 of that,..... JUST TO KEEP IN MIND

MIND YOU, I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING!!!:smile:

Wayne