PDA

View Full Version : Wind Deflectors....opinions.....

Stan
03-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Hey,

Has anyone used a wind deflector on their Classic ?? I want to try one out.

“Windfoil” makes one……any reviews ?

Thx

Stan……. :spongebob

Sagbay32
03-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I was going to pick up a set of these.... Windaway (http://www.windaway.com)

Mike

Budmann
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I love mine. I have a plexiglass windscreen with two screwed on to the windscreen itself. Makes a world of difference.

DonCig
03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
I have two almost as new windaway windscreens that I will sell you for $50.00 for the pair. They normally sell for $60.00 each.
I could never get them to mount to my classic 18 windhield in a manner that I liked.

DonCig

Stan
03-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I am assuming you didn’t use them because you would have to drill holes !!!

I want something that doesn’t require holes and maybe flips down or removes easily.

Stan….

Bad-Tat
03-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Stan,
I also have a Windaway that doesn't work. Will not clamp onto the 22 Classic windshield. The chrome trim is too thick for it.

Uncle Fester
03-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if they will fit over the 22ZX fiberlass? As of now I keep a set of earplugs attached to the kill cord when the ears start hurting too much.

DonCig
03-21-2005, 08:11 PM
The problem that I had with the windaway's was that I could never find an adhesive that would truly hold the rubber shims to the plastic mounting brackets.
I tried 5200, superglue, windaway adhesive, etc.
If somebody has the secret adhesive, then I might give the product my recomendation. I do not want to eat a plexiglas piece of plastic going close to 70 mph. At least the bugs have flavor!

DonCig

MOP
03-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Formica glue works darn good but clean old stuff off, put a thin layer on each then wait about 15 minutes and stick it together.

DonCig
03-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Formica glue, if it does not work than I am tired of playing with these things.

DonCig

Rodger
03-22-2005, 09:12 AM
I made my own wind deflecters about 15 years ago. They clip onto the windshield using over center clamps. I can install them in a few seconds while moving and un-install them in about a half a second. They stay on in the roughest of conditions and at high speeds also. I keep them within arms reach and just use them on the cool days; I don't need them on when it's hot. I would post pics, but the boat is not nearby at the moment.

Chili 18
03-22-2005, 08:18 PM
My brother had a boat called a Maelstrom. Like a way modern version of the classic. Long and low no windshield. It had deflectors moulded into the deck in front of you. You could reach up and flip them up when desired. Otherwise were flush with the surface. Pretty cool.

Mudball
03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone know if they will fit over the 22ZX fiberlass? As of now I keep a set of earplugs attached to the kill cord when the ears start hurting too much.

I too would like to know if these might work for a 22ZX!!
I bought some goggles that fit over my glasses that work well, but the wind is always a huge issue with the wife.

Will the 'Windaway' work with a 22ZX fairing? Mine's a 1999 and does not have the plexiglass top piece. Mine looks like yours, Fester...
Kent

Barry Phillips
03-24-2005, 10:38 AM
I was chatting with a couple running a 24' Checkmate on which they installed the Windaway screens and they love them. I called Windaway and they do not provide a tinted version, I can use the bases but I would have to make custom screens. They are also are not angle adjustable. I'm surprised that Windaway dose not offer tinted plexy, nor custom heights. I have played with attaching rigid cardboard to the windshield on my 18 which is a lot lower than the 22. Which I own now and I was surprised to learn that the windscreen need not be more than 6" high to greatly reduce the wind blast that passes over the 18's windshield. If you remember the molded in eye brows on the new 22 windshield they only about 5” high and I hear quite effective.

With all that said a neat idem, I have seen is the wind visors used on the Shelby Cobra sports car, they are adjustable so they can folded down when you want the wind in your face, also to install your cockpit cover. They are tinted reducing glare off the white deck, plus all the hardware in SS. The one fly in the ointment is that you must drill holes in the windshield frame. I know a guy who runs a 21" Super Boat Legend with really cool wind deflectors mounted on the rail. I have also seen them on older Cigs, but who makes them.

Can you post a web site for the Airfoils that you mentioned?

Barry