PDA

View Full Version : This might be worth a try.......

Mr X
03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
anyone got the Ball$ to try it?
I am going to try it in the diesel excursion.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

thriller
03-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Acetone..Wow.. Never thought.. Makes sense though..

I'm in.. Hope to find the 100% version.

Thanks for sharing and I will post my results when done.

MM

DONZI
03-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Another alternative.http://www.racingservicesinc.com/2005/2005_13.htm

Greg Maier
03-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Some stuff I found on this topic...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4376636.html

Roger Crawford, a businessman and independent researcher in Midland, Tex., takes a different approach to fuel economy. He has just begun marketing a gas additive he calls "XtraMPG." He says it boosts octane, burns cleaner and enables motorists to get better fuel economy and buy less expensive grades of gas -- saving 10 to 15 percent overall on gas.

What's in XtraMPG? "Most of us know it as nail polish remover," Crawford says. "It is simple acetone, a nonhazardous organic chemical . . . rated at 150 octane."

Crawford says he'd be happy if everyone bought acetone and added it to their gas tanks. But since people seem reluctant, he's packaging it as XtraMPG.

The EPA hasn't tested XtraMPG. But the EPA's Chandler warns that consumers need to beware what gadgets and fuel additives they add to their cars -- especially with today's computer-controlled fuel-injection systems. "There are other, more practical ways to save fuel," he says.

MOP
03-20-2005, 12:04 AM
The Devil made me do it, I filled the Dakota this afternoon and put 2oz of acetone in the tank. I had just done a milage check last tank, so I thougt I would have a recent ref. Problem I towed the BB home 42 miles, but if I come out the same or better that should tell me if it really does work!

Phil

DON N.
03-20-2005, 06:26 AM
I Got Some Too Phil . Hope It's Not Like The Speed Wax .

MOP
03-20-2005, 10:44 AM
This could be false hopes, imagination, dreaming or weather (dry and chilly) but I towed the beast home last might, 95% highway. It was dark as heck when I got home so I parked the rig out front, when I went out this AM to put the boat where it belongs I took a look at my tail pipe. Normally the Dakota being a V6 and working hard when towing the 22 the pipe get sooty black, it was still very black but lacked the soft soot layer. I can not say that I noticed any change power or running wise, it has only towed the 22 a few times, that is really the Subs job but I guess time will tell. I have an 8oz bottle and will try a couple of tanks to give it a fair chance, I have tried a few other things over the years. Some did actually improve power slightly but did not notice gas milage that was back when who cared!

Phil

Chili 18
03-20-2005, 02:31 PM
This could be false hopes, imagination, dreaming or weather (dry and chilly) but I towed the beast home last might, 95% highway. It was dark as heck when I got home so I parked the rig out front, when I went out this AM to put the boat where it belongs I took a look at my tail pipe. Normally the Dakota being a V6 and working hard when towing the 22 the pipe get sooty black, it was still very black but lacked the soft soot layer. I can not say that I noticed any change power or running wise, it has only towed the 22 a few times, that is really the Subs job but I guess time will tell. I have an 8oz bottle and will try a couple of tanks to give it a fair chance, I have tried a few other things over the years. Some did actually improve power slightly but did not notice gas milage that was back when who cared!

Phil

Hey,

From the chart on the first link, [tried attaching] It looks like 3 oz per 10 gal. is the top of the curve. At least for gas, not diesel. If you shoot for the top you stand a better chance of realizing any potential gain. For your particular application if the best ratio is 1 oz more or less than 3 oz/10g, you are still in the 'zone'. Using 2/10 [according to the graph] your results may hit the peak, or be marginalized. Know what i mean? If you shoot for the top you may or may not reach it, but it should be more likely to be in the meaningful benefit zone.

WAY back in 1980... I had a Triumph TR7 convertible :convertib to which i fit a kas kastner turbo kit. [very best 0-60 = 4.8s] :-) I ran water and alcohol injection when on boost to control detination. Also added moroso [i think] Octaine booster. Not sure what was in it. Perhaps some acetone?? Was super deadly stuff thou. All kind of warnings about not getting it on your skin...

Please keep us posted on your testing!

Chili18 87 classic 18. 90% restored....

MOP
03-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Chili thanks for your input, I did go way light I probably will put another 2oz in for now. The 2 in 20 will more than likely not do much but I do think it cleaned up the exhaust a little. I also ran water and alchohol, the water system was high pressure spry nozzles at the carb inlet it was run in a boat I had. When I switched it on it gained slightly over 150RPM. I could not get the alcohol setup right and was pressed for time so I sold it to a buddy that did after a few weeks got it working good and did like it.

Phil

Chili 18
03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Chili thanks for your input, I did go way light I probably will put another 2oz in for now. The 2 in 20 will more than likely not do much but I do think it cleaned up the exhaust a little. Phil

Better safe than sorry! Hope it works out. I have a new cherokee that has the fuel mileage as one of the functions in the display. Not sure how accurate it is. But if you guys dont blow up... Ill definitly give it a go. Perhaps in the boat too this summer... Well, one thing at a time.

The turbo on the Tr had basically, a washer bottle and pump to hold the water/alcohol. This was wired to a pressure switch on the crossover tube between the turbo and intake manifold. Think it activated at 3 or 4 psi. I had an 8 lb spring in the wastegate. The fluid was injected into the weber carb barrel directly from an orafice mounted in the k/n air filter cover. Was a fun car, thou it tended to blow the head gasket every few months. not to get off topic thou....

Cheers,
Barry

Pismo
03-22-2005, 06:07 PM
I will try it on my 100,000 miles Land Rover that gets 16mpg on a good day and post results. 3.5 oz per 10 gal looks about right, so I'll do 7oz for my 20 gal fill up. Now I need to find pure acetone, maybe a paint store.

Gulfbum
03-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I found Acetone in WalMart paint department today. It is in a metal can and says 100% pure.

Frank

McGary911
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
That is pretty interesting. Wonder when the article was originally authored? He talks a lot about carbs, and the future which holds cars that will give real time mpg readouts. (and one day we WILL put a man on the moon!). I am wondering if it takes into account modern engine management \ injection systems as well as emission control equipment. The thing about the octane seems dated too. I know that using too high of an octane rating can diminish hp in some cases, as has been discussed here before, but he mentions that modern engines dont have the compression ratio to take advantage of the extra detonation resistance of a high octane fuel. Most cars today that use high octane fuel have a built in knock sensor, and adjust timing, not comp ratio to get the most out of the high octane juice.

Don't get me wrong, I am curious as to how this pans out. Just dont know if im ready to try it on my car, which has more computers than the damn space shuttle it seems.....Keep us updated guys!

BTW, here is a more complete version of the article: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Any one have any thoughts as to why then claim warm air delivers better mileage? i know this is true in jersey, but that's because we have to use oxygenated fuel in the cold months, and it has about 15% less energy than normal straight gas......i cant figure out why same gas would deliver more mileage with warm air?

MOP
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Refilled the Dakota and added 6oz. will keep good track to see how it does, anthing in the upper teens around town will be a blessing!

Chili 18
03-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Antoher link on the lubedev site. The author certainly has thought about fuels more than I have... Tried searchin on acetone fuel mileage hoax, and didnt find anything.. Excited to hear the results of MOPs 6 oz test!

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/badfuel.htm

gero1
03-25-2005, 05:39 PM
wonder how much hotter it burns? what are the chances of burning or melting an injector tip

Pismo
03-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I put 7-8oz of pure 100% acetone in a 21 gal fill up in my 15-16mpg normal Land Rover discovery, we'll see........ It has not cured the pre-ignition problem I have when going up hills at a certain throttle position. One concern is that acetone is so volatile at room temp. I spilled several oz while measuring out my 7 oz and it evapoarted completely within a second or two. Since a gas tank in a car is an vented open system I presume the acetone will evaporate out of the tank in little time. It mixes with the gas and solubilizes quickly and completely but does not react with it, so the acetone is in the tank in it's original form ready to evaporate off very quickly. Any simple three carbon chain will evaporate easily at room temp, propane for example is already a gas. The boiling point of acetone is 56.5c or 134F so it is ready to go. Who knows, we'll see, I'll try a few tanks. It's worth it if it works. Will report.

Cheers

BUIZILLA
03-27-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll bet most of you didn't know that an excellent *in tank* injector cleaner is ammonia...

JH

MOP
03-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Jim now that a few of us have jumped on the acetone band wagon what are your thoughts? I have not gotten many miles on since the fill up but I do notice the tail pipe is still black no longer has a light soot layer, it seems to be running just fine. The articles all seem quite positive and say it is far better then alcohol. It seems as if the gov aproves things that really do not improve mileage, think about this. In the 60's there were many cars that got really decent mileage, I had several that got mid 20's in town the tail pipes were dark tan around town and went grey on trips. Then came all the smog stuff, we have so many add on goodies to the fuel system and get pretty poor mileage. Did the car manufacturers and the oil companies get together and figurine out how to burn more fuel but cleanly? It seems as if everytime something comes along that works to improve milage it dissapears.

Phil

BUIZILLA
03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Phil, I have no personal concrete evidence that acetone works, or doesn't work, as claimed. I simply haven't tried it, nor do I know any firsthand samplings to comment on.
So, with that said, i'll just sit back down in the pew, and await some testing herein.

JH

MOP
03-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Still nothing concrete but appears to be working, having owned the Dakota a long time I am very accustomed to watching the gas gauge plummet around town. Normally at 100 miles the needle is on the underside of the 3/4 mark, well turned 100 on the tank today the needle is a hairs breath above the 3/4 mark. I will do a fill up at 200 and post the results.

Phil

olredalert
03-29-2005, 11:09 PM
--------Have run this acetone in the last two tanks of my winter beater 87 Pontiac wagon. Let me tell you first that this thing is a horribly thirsty pussbucket of a car that I have spent way too much time trying to make incrementally better. So far all I have been able to do is blow up two 200r transmissions and loose two miles to the gallon. With that said the acetone has definetly made the car start and run better. As Phil said it is definetly running cleaner and has more power. I havent measured mileage yet as I wanted to run a few tanks thru first. But stay tuned for an update. Anything above 15 miles to the gallon will be a major victory.
-------- I wasnt ready to try acetone on anything worth real money but may do so in the near future. Will keep you all posted. If nothing else the fumes are getting me charged up............Bill S

simulatedjim
04-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Results? Anyone?

MOP
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
206 mile fill up showed 16.3 up from 15.89 with about 30 miles worth of towing thrown in, before.

Phil

Chili 18
04-03-2005, 04:39 PM
206 mile fill up showed 16.3 up from 15.89 with about 30 miles worth of towing thrown in, before.

Phil

So, the 30 mi towing was on the pre acetone mpg? About the same factoring in the towing\\\ Probably take a few tanks to get a true average.

MOP
04-03-2005, 07:54 PM
So, the 30 mi towing was on the pre acetone mpg? About the same factoring in the towing\\\ Probably take a few tanks to get a true average.

The towing was with the acetone in the tank, I am hoping for a couple of tenths more with no towing. Won't find out for awhile as I need to tow the 22 a couple of places over the next few day/weeks.

Phil

rustnrot
04-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Here is a Yahoo discussion list on it. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/messages

rustnrot
04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Gotta wonder about this one, the proponent of it does not know what can burn a valve....

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/message/81

Pismo
04-04-2005, 06:55 PM
One tank thru the Land Rover so far...........No improvement in performance or mpg. Will try another. 6 oz in twenty gallons.

Tidbart
04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Did you ever get the impression that the guy promoting this stuff is an acetone saleman??? :cistineb:

rustnrot
09-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead. I trust that no one really became a fan of doing this?

Pismo
09-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I tried it on a 2000 LR Discovery with a V8 that gets a steady 17mpg, why not, so cheap and easy, after several tank fulls, no change what so ever.....

Cuda
09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Speaking of getting better mileage, today I figured I'd see how good I could do, if I made a concerted effort in my driving to save fuel. I ran the same basic route I have been for the past few weeks, some interstate, and some in town (Orlando) driving. I had been getting right at 15.5 mpg in my F350. Today, I got 17.7. I'm not a very aggressive driver in the first place, but I think a 14% improvement was pretty good. People who normally drive harder than I do should show an even better increase.

What I did was:
1 Try to time the lights so I didn't have to come to a complete stop.
2 Accelerate slowly, from stops and otherwise.
3 Turn off the cruise control, and let the truck slow down a tad going uphill, and let it accellerate more going downhill.
4 Turn the truck off when I'm sitting at a jobsite breifly, I usually leave it running if I'm going to be there ten minutes or less, so I don't have to wait for the cab to cool back down. (I fudged a bit on this one today, it was damn hot and humid).

Gulfbum
09-02-2005, 06:06 PM
This is some info on hydrogen systems:
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

I just thought it was interesting reading.

Frank

MOP
09-03-2005, 11:02 AM
I stayed faithful to the test for 6 tanks eventually working up to the maximum recommended amount, improvment was marginal but was there. I did the testing on my 98 Dakota V6 which was getting 16.2 in town and 20 flat on the highway, it town it did not change much maybe 1 or 2 10th's. My highway mileage went to 20.8.
last trip up to 1K I ran it in my GMC Sub going up towing the 22, I averaged almost 16. On the way back without Acetone I got the same but it was pointed out that up was up hill and back was down hill! So I do feel it helped, I may not bother with it around town but on trips it is well worth it. Note my Sub is 2 wheel drive with posi and gets 16 in town and just over 20 on the road not towing, a lot better the my son inlaws smaller GMC Sub which is much newer and a 4X4 it gets 11-12 in town and 15-16 on the highway.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
09-04-2005, 06:32 PM
i tried it today in both the 350 in my van and in the donzi. and i would say it worked cosiderably well in the van. what i see in his test he was using texico gas and specifically said that it might not work as well in other gasolines and that to much would have a negative effect. allthoe i used neither in both but in the donzi with the damn fuel gage dellema how would i really know.

joe

Rootsy
09-06-2005, 06:57 AM
what i am really interested in is the ammonia as injector cleaner.... that is a new one on me...

JR

BaldEagle
09-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Acetone is a strong solvent. It sounds interesting but it may not be kind to hoses, gaskets or o-rings.

BE