PDA

View Full Version : Some final questions

onesubdrvr
03-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Well, things are drawing to a close with the new engine, and I have a few final questions.
1) - The tech manual for the stock engine states a full throtle RPM are 4300-4600. Does anyone know what the rev limiter is set at (1988 OMC Cobra)
2) - reviewing my post on the Pertronix ignition - someone posted a "OMC" fix that required a couple of resistors / etc. can anyone elaborate more on this?
3) - Recommendation for a break-in period / procedure

Thanks,
Wayne

Dave_N
03-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Wayne,

I was the one who posted the OMC Pertronix "Fix". I am making one for a customer and trying a few ways to actually construct it. I will let you know what I come up with.

I don't think that the 88 OMC has any means of rev limiting.

Dave

MOP
03-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Wayne I will try to get hold of a Bud that went to hot ignition on an OMC, as I remember he retained the OMC pack and used it in line to his new ignition using only the shift interrupt wires and the feed tot he coil. The feed to the coil went to power the new ignition. At first he had a push button on the dash which he would push a few time rapidly to do the job. There is probably a neater way but I know he did that at the time and may have come up with a better way. The whole thing is to get the ignition to studder the engine so you get full drive engagement, OMC did go to 5 degree cut clutch dog but I think that was in 89 or 90 that also helped a lot. MC does not use a rev limiter, you are within range, let it break in. It will loosen up a little might pickup 50 rpm or so, then I would prop it for 46-48 maybe a tad more to take advantage of your engine mods. OEM's are conservative on RPM for longevity, most any drive will live at 5000 and more with good oil also the OMC's run much cooler than Merc's.

Phil